The extent of the influence of the port of Berbera

“Berbera was famous in ancient times as an important port. The Travels of Hanun, Ptolemy, and Cosmas Indicopleutus on the Sea of Eretria describe the city and its inland area very well. It is certain that the importance of this city has not diminished in relation to the period we are talking about, because its name was given long ago to the Gulf of Aden, and Arab geographers alike called it “the sea or the Gulf of Berbera.” These same geographers believe that the Berbers who inhabit these countries (and most of them thought they were different from the Berbers) are clearly distinguished from the Swahili and Abyssinians, and we have every reason to believe that they were in fact Somalis"

IMG_1142.jpeg

IMG_1141.jpeg

Last edited:
“Berbera was famous in ancient times as an important port. The Travels of Hanun, Ptolemy, and Cosmas Indicopleutus on the Sea of Eretria describe the city and its inland area very well. It is certain that the importance of this city has not diminished in relation to the period we are talking about, because its name was given long ago to the Gulf of Aden, and Arab geographers alike called it “the sea or the Gulf of Berbera.” These same geographers believe that the Berbers who inhabit these countries (and most of them thought they were different from the Berbers) are clearly distinguished from the Swahili and Abyssinians, and we have every reason to believe that they were in fact Somalis"

View attachment 322099
View attachment 322098
So that there is no confusion here, the point of saying that they are different from the “Berbers”, means the Berbers of Morocco / North Africa

Khaemwaset

Djiboutian 🇩🇯 | 𐒖𐒆𐒄A𐒗𐒃 🇸🇴
VIP
Should be in history section so it doesn't get drowned out by thr bs

Emir of Zayla

𝕹𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓 𝖔𝖋 𝕻𝖔𝖊𝖙𝖘

View attachment 322099
View attachment 322098
Nice map I found in the book, do you have an English version or a translator for the full version of the book pdf?
IMG_4187.jpeg

I found an old book by a sheikh and historian called “Al-Waqidi” when I searched for it. He had an old book called - The Conquests of Egypt and Alexandria, and it was published later.
In it, he says: “Barbara, this is another country between Abyssinia and the Zanj, on the coast of the Yemen Sea and the Zanj Sea, and its people are very Sudanese.”

Then the other line says "Barbarian Gulf."

Then he continues: “A gulf connected to the land of Abyssinia and Hamadan and extending from the Berber side of the lands of the Zanj and Abyssinia is called the Berber Gulf, and its length is five hundred miles and its width is one hundred miles. Then he says: “This is not Berbera, which the Berbers mean, Morocco, because that is another place that claims the name.
IMG_1143.jpeg
IMG_1144.jpeg
IMG_1146.jpeg

To clarify further, the book was taken care of, corrected, and printed by a teacher named Henrik Arend Hamkar.

-I also found a picture of the actual manuscript
IMG_1148.jpeg

Here is the link to this manuscript

I found an old book by a sheikh and historian called “Al-Waqidi” when I searched for it. He had an old book called - The Conquests of Egypt and Alexandria, and it was published later.
In it, he says: “Barbara, this is another country between Abyssinia and the Zanj, on the coast of the Yemen Sea and the Zanj Sea, and its people are very Sudanese.”

Then the other line says "Barbarian Gulf."

Then he continues: “A gulf connected to the land of Abyssinia and Hamadan and extending from the Berber side of the lands of the Zanj and Abyssinia is called the Berber Gulf, and its length is five hundred miles and its width is one hundred miles. Then he says: “This is not Berbera, which the Berbers mean, Morocco, because that is another place that claims the name.
View attachment 322118View attachment 322117View attachment 322116
To clarify further, the book was taken care of, corrected, and printed by a teacher named Henrik Arend Hamkar.

-I also found a picture of the actual manuscript
View attachment 322120
Here is the link to this manuscript
the meaning of the word “very Sudanese” means that they are very dark-skinned

Last edited:
Of course, the meaning of the word “very Sudanese” means that they are very dark-skinned
All I want to convey from all of this is that the Gulf of Aden, currently called by this name, was previously called the Barbary Gulf, the Gulf of Berbera, so we have to recover this name from them because we had the greatest influence.

Do you have the oldest mention related to us of a name for the Gulf/sea called Aden in Western sources? Because I saw this on Twitter before and I can't find it. I remember it was called the Erythraean Sea? @Khaemwaset

Khaemwaset

Djiboutian 🇩🇯 | 𐒖𐒆𐒄A𐒗𐒃 🇸🇴
VIP
Do you have the oldest mention related to us of a name for the Gulf/sea called Aden in Western sources? Because I saw this on Twitter before and I can't find it. I remember it was called the Erythraean Sea? @Khaemwaset
First book that comes to mind is the
"Periplus of the Erythraean Sea" by

'The Periplus of the Erythraean Sea is a Roman period guide to trade and navigation in the Indian Ocean. Justly famous for offering a contemporary and descriptive account of early Indian Ocean trade, the work has been sub- ject to and a point of departure for numerous studies.'

It talks alot about ancient Somalis, called Berbers.

Trending

Latest posts