The EU rejects May's request for three-month delay

Status
Not open for further replies.
The European Union is poised to take control of Britain’s exit by rejecting Theresa May’s request for a three-month delay and setting a new withdrawal date of no later than 22 May.

The prime minister is seeking an extension of the negotiating period to 30 June to allow the necessary legislation to be passed should she finally get MPs to back her deal next week.

But EU ambassadors at a meeting late on Wednesday night agreed that the risks of having the UK as a member state beyond 23 May, when European elections are due, were too high.

Sources said that during the discussions some member states favoured a longer period and some a shorter one, but that the room coalesced around 22 May as the absolute limit.

The heads of state and government will hold a discussion on Thursday afternoon after being addressed by May, and will have to agree unanimously on the extension on the date to be written into its summit communique.

“The 22nd of May has to be the limit,” one senior diplomat said. “The reason is that there has got to be a very clear message from the European council. Yes to a short extension on condition that the prime minister passes her deal through the Commons. But beyond that it is utterly complicated. It cannot be done without British MEPs having been elected.”

The European parliament’s Brexit coordinator, Guy Verhofstadt, told the Guardian: “There will be a problem with June. It is absolutely not in the interests of the European Union for it to beyond the date of the European elections.”

Unusually, draft council conclusions – the summit communique issued at the end of meetings of the leaders – were not circulated among the ambassadors.

Sources said the EU’s leaders would have a freewheeling debate about the extension request.

The position taken by the ambassadors represents a shift in mood of the member states, who had been reluctant to accept the European commission’s conclusion that an extension could not go beyond 23 May without British MEPs being elected.

The EU’s legal service had indicated that 1 July was the real “legal backstop” for an extension, as the parliament convenes on 2 July.

But the chaos in Westminster has convinced the EU capitals of the dangers that the UK would end up remaining a member state beyond even then without British MEPs having been elected. Such a result could leave the EU’s institutions in “paralysis”, the bloc’s lawyers have advised.

The prime minister’s insistence, in her letter seeking an extension and in the Commons, that she would not hold elections while in Downing Street helped to crystallise the EU’s thinking, sources said.

The ambassadors on Wednesday night agreed that the Strasbourg papers, in which the EU has offered fresh assurances over the temporary nature of the Irish backstop, would be adopted by the leaders.

There was a debate among the diplomats over whether the EU would write a date into their summit communique on Thursday, and it was eventually agreed that they should.

There remains a chance that the extension could be even shorter than 22 May, as the British authorities would need time to organise elections. But a delay of a few weeks would be likely to solve little, senior diplomats argued. “It would be useless,” said one.

Verhofstadt, a former Belgian prime minister, said it was time for May to work cross-party to find a majority.

“The problem is that Brexit is not being treated as an existential crisis on the table of British politics but as an element in a war between the Conservatives and Labour,” he said.

Seems like no deal is the likely outcome and UK will have a hard Brexit.

:mjlaugh:

Leave. Let the dumb whites suffer hardship and then once they get fed up of being broke. Lets have a new referendum and rejoin momma Europa!

They should hold another referendum. It's their only chance but her ego is telling her no to do that.
They cant hold another one. They held one and people voted. Elections has consequences. May deep down doesnt want to leave. But she also got the job because everyone knew what a mess it would be and didnt want the job

They cant hold another one. They held one and people voted. Elections has consequences. May deep down doesnt want to leave. But she also got the job because everyone knew what a mess it would be and didnt want the job
But the public weren't told how they would leave tho, just that they would live.

another referendum with the options of hard brexit, no brexit at all etc... would be wise.

The public is much more informed now, they would vote better this time.

But the public weren't told how they would leave tho, just that they would live.

another referendum with the options of hard brexit, no brexit at all etc... would be wise.

The public knew they would leave eu. The remain campaign warned people about this and they knew full well. The overall opinion of brexteers hasnt changed and they would win another narrow victory. The average white person outside of london is anti eu. Its like saying the public did not know how bad trump would be. Even if his policies hurt working class whites. The whites in uk would vote brexit even if it hurts them.

Also most of them believe its still a lie and things wont be bad. So they dont believe in most things that are being reported and the forecasts. Uk is small island with 70 milluob people. The whites are just fed up with more people coming and are willing to take any hit

World

VIP

Nothing has changed. They want Polish and Eastern European migrants out and to stop immigration. Their reasons for leaving the EU were ignorant in the first place, they don’t care about how it’ll affect them.

Nothing has changed. They want Polish and Eastern European migrants out and to stop immigration. Their reasons for leaving the EU were ignorant in the first place, they don’t care about how it’ll affect them.
If they want fellow cadaans out, where does that leave yall?

The public knew they would leave eu. The remain campaign warned people about this and they knew full well. The overall opinion of brexteers hasnt changed and they would win another narrow victory. The average white person outside of london is anti eu. Its like saying the public did not know how bad trump would be. Even if his policies hurt working class whites. The whites in uk would vote brexit even if it hurts them.

Also most of them believe its still a lie and things wont be bad. So they dont believe in most things that are being reported and the forecasts. Uk is small island with 70 milluob people. The whites are just fed up with more people coming and are willing to take any hit
interesting.

I thought it was ignorance that led them that way.
I saw brexit voters who regret it because their business are taking a hit already.

The U.K will be F up, at least immediately after leaving the EU. I suggest yall find xaliimos in north America and gtfo while you can.

interesting.

I thought it was ignorance that led them that way.
I saw brexit voters who regret it because their business are taking a hit already.

The U.K will be F up, at least immediately after leaving the EU. I suggest yall find xaliimos in north America and gtfo while you can.
My cousin from london did and he just moved to edmondton. And my friend moved there and is making decent money as truck driver. I actually thought of going there. I have truck license....but hasnt driven in a long time. I have binch of cousins who can fake a marriage for me lool

YourBroMoe

Who the fuck am I? ギくェズー
If major companies relied on low costs of doing business with the EU, then layoffs are in the UK's future with a no deal Brexit.

My cousin from london did and he just moved to edmondton. And my friend moved there and is making decent money as truck driver. I actually thought of going there. I have truck license....but hasnt driven in a long time. I have binch of cousins who can fake a marriage for me lool
nigga do it.

truckers here make over 200k usd easy when they buy their own truck which costs around 50k.

@R.Kelly u are from the truck country OH, help this niggar out.

sxb get out of the cursed UK while you can.

also in edmonton, somalis work in the oil fields, and they make good money.

one of my cousins makes 100dollars per hour and he got no degree lol.

nigga do it.

truckers here make over 200k usd easy when they buy their own truck which costs around 50k.

@R.Kelly u are from the truck country OH, help this niggar out.

sxb get out of the cursed UK while you can.

also in edmonton, somalis work in the oil fields, and they make good money.

one of my cousins makes 100dollars per hour and he got no degree lol.
Inshallah i will come to canada in the summer to check the place out

if you want money, come to the U.S.

I know millionaire who can't write their names properly wallahi.

nothing can be worse than the UK.

get out before u are stabbed sxb.
Damn i might have to leave too. If only reer canada xalimos weren't such s.

:jcoleno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending