The Economist: A power grab by Somalia’s president has tipped it into crisis!

Everyone fully knows what Farmaajo is attempting to do. I think he pulled the trigger way too early. Somalia is in a State-building process, Dictatorship would ruin everything. Somalis nor the West will allow this, just shows you how dumb and retarded this guy is to even try to attempt this.

@Gadhwayne Ignore AMISOM as they just want to milk Somalia their cash cow. If Somalia was to recover they could soon afterwards be under a new dictatorship. I don't trust even Somalian civilians

Ibro

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth.
Fucking pay wall

Somalia’s progress towards democracy has been faltering. The country has not had a direct election since 1969, more than three decades before most Somalis were born. Yet it seemed to be on the right track in 2017, when it held “indirect” elections, whereby members of parliament were elected by delegates chosen by about 14,000 clan elders. The mps in turn picked the president, who had promised to hold proper elections in 2020. But last year election officials cancelled that plan, citing covid-19 and the insurgency of al-Shabab.

Instead they scheduled another indirect vote for February, the deadline set by the constitution for choosing a new president. But talks between the central government and regional leaders over how to conduct it collapsed. The opposition as well as leaders in Jubaland and Puntland, the two most powerful of Somalia’s five states (excluding the breakaway region of Somaliland), accuse the president of sabotaging the process in order to cling to office. “He cannot continue to act as president,” says Abdirahman Abdishakur, a former minister running against him for president.

The stand-off comes after years of worsening relations between President Mohamed, a former American citizen who spent much of his adult life in New York, and most of Somalia’s political establishment. Since taking office the president has shown little interest in the patient consensus-building required by Somalia’s fractious, clan-based politics. Instead he has sought to consolidate his power by sidelining rivals and using the security forces against opponents. He has also tried to weaken the regional states. On February 21st the leader of Puntland accused the president of acting like an autocrat.

Western governments, which pay for most of the government’s budget, face a dilemma. On the one hand they are backing a president who has long seemed keener to hold on to power than to build democracy. In 2019 he expelled the un’s top envoy for questioning whether the arrest of the leading candidate in a regional election was legal. The president has also picked fights with neighbouring Kenya. And he has drawn closer to Eritrea and its ruthless dictator, Issaias Afwerki.

On the other hand, the government can point to some advances. Donors respect a former prime minister, Hassan Ali Khaire, who was ousted last year, as well as Abdirahman Dualeh Beileh, the finance minister. The two wooed the imf and World Bank, and met the conditions for forgiveness of nearly all of Somalia’s foreign debt of $5.3bn. State payrolls were purged of “ghost” employees, who are paid but do not exist. In 2018 Somalia began to get budget support from the eu. “Before, the money was given to agencies and ngos to spend,” says Mr Beileh. “Now they trust us.”

But the crisis threatens to undo this. “All of the [economic reform] is encouraging,” says James Swan, the un’s envoy to Somalia. “But this political impasse is blocking progress in many other areas.” Since June the eu has halted direct payments to Somalia’s budget over concerns about attempts to rig the election. “Security has probably worsened on whatever metric you look at,” says Omar Mahmood of the International Crisis Group, a Brussels-based think-tank. Violence in Mogadishu is so common that when the boom of an attempted suicide-bombing resounded in the garden of your correspondent’s hotel, his Somali companion barely took notice.

Talks between the federal government and regional leaders are expected to resume. Diplomats still hope they will agree to hold another election, even an indirect one. But with every passing day that Somalia’s leaders squabble, a little more of the state’s scant legitimacy leaks away. “We are at the bottom of a very high hill,” sighs Mr Beileh. Time to start climbing again.

The stand-off comes after years of worsening relations between President Mohamed, a former American citizen who spent much of his adult life in New York, and most of Somalia’s political establishment. Since taking office the president has shown little interest in the patient consensus-building required by Somalia’s fractious, clan-based politics. Instead he has sought to consolidate his power by sidelining rivals and using the security forces against opponents. He has also tried to weaken the regional states. On February 21st the leader of Puntland accused the president of acting like an autocrat.

Everyone fully knows what Farmaajo is attempting to do. I think he pulled the trigger way too early. Somalia is in a State-building process, Dictatorship would ruin everything. Somalis nor the West will allow this, just shows you how dumb and retarded this guy is to even try to attempt this.

Failmaajo has shamed Somalia and worse of all, the new SNA by turning them into his goon squad. The whole world is watching on as this lunatic continues to commit crimes. It's clear to everyone that he is the problem in Somalia. He overplayed his hand countless times.

Ibro

LMAO report put together by reading AAW twitter page.

I got the same though as well. Especially, when they were referring to the Southwest state election. When Robow wanted to win the state election. Robow was still on US sanction lists, killed thousands, used child soldiers and hadn't renounced Alshabaab's ideology but just had falling out with Alshabaab's leadership.

Last edited:
The Economist vs Farmajo's bots.. who is more legit and respected :heh:.
Any Somali news site is more credible than the economist. I see people like AAW really love to play and run to western news sites. They believe they are final truth like the Quran.

Like, if I can get white people to spin my lie that will scare the Somalis and they will accept it as truth.

Ibro

Any Somali news site is more credible than the economist. I see people like AAW really love to play and run to western news sites. They believe they are final truth like the Quran.

Like, if I can get white people to spin my lie that will scare the Somalis and they will accept it as truth.

Am actually subscribed to the economist. It's a pretty good company. The only problem with foreign media is that they get Somali politics wrong badly 9 out of 10 times. Assuming most of them and including the Economist doesn't have Somali translators which make's their work harder to do. Meaning they have to depend on second journalistic research which can be biased without them knowing.

Dalalos_ibn_Adali

Republican
VIP
This is very interesting because Farmaajo is HAG, so is HAG doing power grab in Somalia on itself since the mucarad are also HAG.

Jaifada waa laga jawaabi inshallah, Beesha Sade has Ugaas and dhaqan and our own shit, Farmaajo is not Beesha Sade, we do support him out of Somalinimo and the fact that after massive lobbying he concedes to our demands at times.

But walahi Thuma walahi gaf walbo meel buu inoogu qoran yahay qaan mareexaan waa qaaxo kugu maqan.

Am actually subscribed to the economist. It's a pretty good company. The only problem with foreign media is that they get Somali politics wrong badly 9 out of 10 times. Assuming most of them and including the Economist doesn't have Somali translators which make's their work harder to do. Meaning they have to depend on second journalistic research which can be biased without them knowing.
I should have added the caveat 'on Somali affairs'. Plus you do know what the economist is for and the primary audience. It is for the management class of Western hegemony. I also used to subscribe to actual physical magazine.

Trending

Latest posts