The difference between the Luo (Kenyan Nilotics) and South Sudanese Nilotics?

Apollo

VIP
What's the genetic difference between them?

The Luo of Kenya are mostly Bantu in origin, ironically even substantially more than the Kikuyu who actually speak a Bantu language, but the Luo have some Nilotic and trace amount of Cushitic ancestry. I think they were a mostly Bantu group originally who got language shifted through a culturally elite group of Nilotes (like what happened to Turks in Anatolia, kind of).

The Luo aren't that similar genetically to all of Kenya's other Nilotes who tend to have much more Nilo-Saharan ancestry and in the case of the Samburu those folk are even admixed with the Rendille/ancient Somali-like groups.

BetterDaysAhead

#JusticeForShukriAbdi #FreeYSL
VIP
The Luo of Kenya are mostly Bantu in origin, ironically even substantially more than the Kikuyu who actually speak a Bantu language, but the Luo have some Nilotic and trace amount of Cushitic ancestry. I think they were a mostly Bantu group originally who got language shifted through a culturally elite group of Nilotes (like what happened to Turks in Anatolia, kind of).

The Luo aren't that similar genetically to all of Kenya's other Nilotes who tend to have much more Nilo-Saharan ancestry and in the case of the Samburu those folk are even admixed with the Rendille/ancient Somali-like groups.
Which nilotics are 100% Nilotic?

Apollo

VIP
Which nilotics are 100% Nilotic?

Probably none. Also, no groups exist who are 100% Afro-Asiatic or 100% Cushitic either. These language groups originate from 10,000 years ago and many have slightly changed since.

But the ones with the highest amount of Nilote are generally found on South Sudan's eastern half of the country, possibly the Anuak and Nuer in Ethiopia as well.

Marquis

Highly Respected
VIP

Makes sense, Kenyan Luos where too thick to be real Nilotes :pachah1:

My hypothesis is more south they are from South Sudan, the more mixed they become with
other groups, specially the Bantus. The ones that are closer to their original Homeland are
more Nilotic. Exam: Northern Kenya, Northern Uganda, and Western Ethiopia.

The Luos are nilotes but their land is contiguous with Bantu groups and they have absrobed entire Bantu groups culturally over centuries, both in Kenya and Uganda.