The Dark Side of the International Community (IC) in Somalia

AbdiGeedi

To keep your balance, you must keep moving.
First let's start with the actual definition of the term "the International Community (IC)".

In practice the IC is not a homogeneous entity. It is rather a cluster of very different players including foreign governments and international organizations. In an old way of thinking, the IC is a colonial master.

It consists of the US, the EU, the IMF and the World Bank with servant organizations like the UN and the African Union (AU). Russia and China usually are not part of the group for historical and geopolitical reasons.

In reality, the IMF and the World Bank are the US financial arm or more precisely of the US Banking System and often viewed as the ones promoting the US giants like Goldman Sachs. The US dollar is the de facto world currency.

Ever since the collapse of Somalia in the 90s and up until recently the IC acted in a reactionary manner to the events in Somalia providing subsistence support to the country that was regarded as a failed state. The IC neglected to bring meaningful structural nation-rebuilding changes to Somalia and instead opted to bring in, finance and protractively rely on the African foreign troops aka the AMISOM.

In fact, the IC supported region-wide destabilization by green-lighting the official Wahhabi ideology of Saudi Arabia which in turn gave birth to the Al-Shabab terrorist group in Somalia. The Gulf monarchies were encouraged by the West to fund terrorist groups starting from Afghanistan and ending by Bosnia for geopolitical reasons.

Somalia's stabilization was jump started by the arrival of Turkey ten years ago. Unfortunately, the Turks are limited in available resources meaning the progress is painfully slow. On the positive side, the sense of stability has returned to Somalia. It is hard to believe Somalia went from the "Black Hawk Down" phase to the US embassy being operational in Mogadishu.

Knowing all too well that the democracy push in the Middle East has miserably failed, the IC is trying to repeat it in Somalia in a reckless manner devoid of realities on the ground. I suspect that it has to do with the Western desire to limit Turkey's presence in the region and align Somalia with Israel's Gulf axis encompassing Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Bahrain at the moment. The overall dictative tone of the IC towards the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) is humiliating and invokes negative reactions from Somalis, even those who are critical of the FGS.

Let me finish with a screenshot of a twitter message:

somalia-elections2.PNG

somalia-elections1.PNG

Last edited:

Marshall D Abdi

Know you’re place peasant
First let's start with the actual definition of the term "the International Community (IC)".

In practice the IC is not a homogeneous entity. It is rather a cluster of very different players including foreign governments and international organizations. In an old way of thinking, the IC is a colonial master.

It consists of the US, the EU, the IMF and the World Bank with servant organizations like the UN and the African Union (AU). Russia and China usually are not part of the group for historical and geopolitical reasons.

In reality, the IMF and the World Bank are the US financial arm or more precisely of the US Banking System and often viewed as the ones promoting the US giants like Goldman Sachs. The US dollar is the de facto world currency.

Ever since the collapse of Somalia in the 90s and up until recently the IC acted in a reactionary manner to the events in Somalia providing subsistence support to the country that was regarded as a failed state. The IC neglected to bring meaningful structural nation-rebuilding changes to Somalia and instead opted to bring in, finance and protractively rely on the African foreign troops aka the AMISOM.

In fact, the IC supported region-wide destabilization by green-lighting the official Wahhabi ideology of Saudi Arabia which in turn gave birth to the Al-Shabab terrorist group in Somalia. The Gulf monarchies were encouraged by the West to fund terrorist groups starting from Afghanistan and ending by Bosnia for geopolitical reasons.

Somalia's stabilization was jump started by the arrival of Turkey ten years ago. Unfortunately, the Turks are limited in available resources meaning the progress is painfully slow. On the positive side, the sense of stability has returned to Somalia. It is hard to believe Somalia went from the "Black Hawk Down" phase to the US embassy being operational in Mogadishu.

Knowing all too well that the democracy push in the Middle East has miserably failed, the IC is trying to repeat it in Somalia in a reckless manner devoid of realities on the ground. I suspect that it has to do with the Western desire to limit Turkey's presence in the region and align Somalia with Israel's Gulf axis encompassing Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Bahrain at the moment. The overall dictative tone of the IC towards the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) is humiliating and invokes negative reactions from Somalis, even those who are critical of the FGS.

Let me finish with a screenshot of a twitter message:

View attachment 137632
View attachment 137633
Why should us intervere somalis business for what reason to make it like iraq Afghanistan?

Almost 70% of Somalias problems can be blamed on the social culture and corruption. The IC if anything is promoting the already self-destructive environment. Any real change is going to rely on Somali ambitions and execution.

AbdiGeedi

Why should us intervere somalis business for what reason to make it like iraq Afghanistan?
I believe there is a long-term calculation by the US that Somalia will eventually gets its bearings going and will play a key geopolitical role in the Horn, but most importantly in the Gulf and the wider Middle East, especially pertaining to the Red sea.

The upcoming oil and gas explorations off the coast of Somalia is another reason for the US to get into Somali politics pro-actively.

Marshall D Abdi

I believe there is a long-term calculation by the US that Somalia will eventually gets its bearings going and will play a key geopolitical role in the Horn, but most importantly in the Gulf and the wider Middle East, especially pertaining to the Red sea.

The upcoming oil and gas explorations off the coast of Somalia is another reason for the US to get into Somali politics pro-actively.
Daaamn so somalia is doing big moves since alot countries became intrested in somalia matter of times, how do u see somalia for like the next 10-15 years

AbdiGeedi

Almost 70% of Somalias problems can be blamed on the social culture and corruption. The IC if anything is promoting the already self-destructive environment. Any real change is going to rely on Somali ambitions and execution.
True. But it is hard to get up when the hammer keeps swinging above your head.

AbdiGeedi

Daaamn so somalia is doing big moves since alot countries became intrested in somalia matter of times, how do u see somalia for like the next 10-15 years
It depends.

Right now the West is holding MBS as a political hostage after the Kashoggi murder. The UAE was given a more prominent role. Saudi Arabia is now Israel's bıtch and the UAE its deputy.

It can have a profound effect on the region. Somalia needs to play its cards right to not burn itself in the geopolitical game.

I am pretty sure you are aware about the internal Somali issues and what needs to be done. I won't get into it right now.

Marshall D Abdi

It depends.

Right now the West is holding MBS as a political hostage after the Kashoggi murder. The UAE was given a more prominent role. Saudi Arabia is now Israel's bıtch and the UAE its deputy.

It can have a profound effect on the region. Somalia needs to play its cards right to not burn itself in the geopolitical game.

I am pretty sure you are aware about the internal Somali issues and what needs to be done. I won't get into it right now.
Yeah bro ik

The Somali Caesar

King of Sarcasm• Location: Rent free in your head
VIP
Let's get something out there Somalia is a shithole and relies heavily on the IC for financial aid.

Somalia will never say
no to the IC out of fear of getting their budget cut.

How would you explain why warlord Farmajoo handed over Qalbdgex to Ethiopia. The fact is that zooomalia does not exist and you are just a tribalist defending your uncle Farmajoo. If the president was Hawiye you wouldn't be writing this nonsense but supporting the IC.

99% of the Somali people agree with the IC and so do I. Somalia needs to have elections without delay.

Ahmed Madoobe has more power than Farmajoo. You and many like you are the cancer of zooomalia.

The Somali Caesar

King of Sarcasm• Location: Rent free in your head
VIP
How would you explain why warlord Farmajoo handed over Qalbdgex to Ethiopia. The fact is that zooomalia does not exist and you are just a tribalist defending your uncle Farmajoo. If the president was Hawiye you wouldn't be writing this nonsense but supporting the IC.

99% of the Somali people agree with the IC and so do I. Somalia needs to have elections without delay.

Ahmed Madoobe has more power than Farmajoo. You and many like you are the cancer of zooomalia.
I’m presuming you’re Hawiye but I always thought you guys liked Farmaajo. As he twerks for you guys.

AbdiGeedi

The fact is that zooomalia does not exist and you are just a tribalist defending your uncle Farmajoo. If the president was Hawiye you wouldn't be writing this nonsense but supporting the IC.

1. Somalia exists. It is internationally recognized country that has a seat in the UN. It is slowly rebuilding itself after the collapse of the 90s.

2. I am not a tribalist. Never was.

3. Where did you get the 99% number?

4. Somalia needs to have the 1m1v elections when it is realistically possible. If it means a delay so be it. Best to do it right than fail and perpetuate warlordism. Somalia should not cave under the pressure from the outside powers.

Trending