The Curious History of Zanzibar and the Swahili Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
:farmajoyaab:old man is this how you spend you're retirement trolling somalis ?

To say Benadir was soley ruled by Zanzibar Sultanate is intellectually dishonest

You don't even have sources to back up your claim.

This authentic source clearly says Zanzibar were forced to accept the Geledi authority in the Benadir coast and when Zanzibar decided to built a fort in Mogadishu. They had to gain permission from Sultan Ahmed Yusuf meaning they didn't have complete control over the Benadir coast because the Geledi had some authority since they ruled Barawa and only the Bimaal of Merca resisted their hegemony. All the Rahanweyn clans you mentioned were not only under the Geledi Sultanate but paid tribute to the Geledi rulers. This source explains it all.

WBjPHD1.png

Link: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=mw1n9-3ZvcQC&pg=PA387&redir_esc=y&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=false

I have provided my evidence so stop making things up.

Also, the Italians confirmed that the Benadir coast was locally governed by Geledi Sultanate, Hiraab Imamate and Bimaal Sultanate (Merka State) which were Somali kingdoms. The Zanzibar Sultanate claimed the coast but didn't rule it. Why do you think the agreement between Italian and Zanzibar were null and void? Why do you think the Benadir coast resisted the Italians even after Zanzibar claimed to transfer the authority to the Italians? The Italians called them liars for a reason.

This is the real Zanzibar Sultanate map. It spans from Lamu to the Zanzibar islands, never reached the Somali coast. Keep your revisionism to yourself.

800px-Sultanat_de_Zanzibar_v%C3%A8rs_1875.png

https://www.somalispot.com/threads/yusuf-and-ahmad.48176/#post-1320180

The Geledi did not control the Hiraab , Bimaal or Abgaal imamates, or any part of the coast. The Bimaal wars kept them west of the Shabelli and north of Buulo Mareerto. It was the Jiddu and Bimaal who expanded into the coastal area south of Baraawe. Baraawe itself appealed to Omani Sultan Barghash for help after being burned by the Bardheere Jamaaca in 1840, and not the Geledi sultan. (See Mukhtar, the new edition of The Historical Dictionary of Somalia, page 51.)

The coastal merchants did not want anyone monopolizing the Shabelli trade, which is why they supported the Geledi against the Bardheere Jamaaca and the Bimaal against the Geledi.

The whole Banaadir coast was Swahili. Barwaani and Bajuni are both Swahili languages. 9th-10th century coastal Bantu pottery has been found as far north as Gezira, and also at Baraawe and Munghia.. (See James de Vere Allen, Swahili Origins, pages 165-167)

Omani Sultan Barghash studied religion at Baraawe and was both patron and khalifa to Qadiri leader Uways al Baraawe. It was Uways who organized the resistance against the Italians, principally because they were not Muslim. When this failed in 1908, the resistance was over and the Italians took total control.

It was a coalition of the coastal towns organized and led by the Omanis that drove the Portuguese out of Baraawe in 1758. Thereafter, the Omanis gained increasing loyalty and control over the towns and taxed the export trade. They didn't care who grazed camels and goats in between.

Your revision of Somali history is incorrect.

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
https://www.somalispot.com/threads/yusuf-and-ahmad.48176/#post-1320180

The Geledi did not control the Hiraab , Bimaal or Abgaal imamates, or any part of the coast. The Bimaal wars kept them west of the Shabelli and north of Buulo Mareerto. It was the Jiddu and Bimaal who expanded into the coastal area south of Baraawe. Baraawe itself appealed to Omani Sultan Barghash for help after being burned by the Bardheere Jamaaca in 1840, and not the Geledi sultan. (See Mukhtar, the new edition of The Historical Dictionary of Somalia, page 51.)

The coastal merchants did not want anyone monopolizing the Shabelli trade, which is why they supported the Geledi against the Bardheere Jamaaca and the Bimaal against the Geledi.

The whole Banaadir coast was Swahili. Barwaani and Bajuni are both Swahili languages. 9th-10th century coastal Bantu pottery has been found as far north as Gezira, and also at Baraawe and Munghia.. (See James de Vere Allen, Swahili Origins, pages 165-167)

Omani Sultan Barghash studied religion at Baraawe and was both patron and khalifa to Qadiri leader Uways al Baraawe. It was Uways who organized the resistance against the Italians, principally because they were not Muslim. When this failed in 1908, the resistance was over and the Italians took total control.

It was a coalition of the coastal towns organized and led by the Omanis that drove the Portuguese out of Baraawe in 1758. Thereafter, the Omanis gained increasing loyalty and control over the towns and taxed the export trade. They didn't care who grazed camels and goats in between.

Your revision of Somali history is incorrect.

:siilaanyolaugh:the only revisionist with no sources is you, you old fool .
you realy need to be banned from trolling the somali history section

I see no sources. Just Grant and his nonsense. Oh, Mukhtar book is outdated. There are new sources now. The sources I posted are new & authentic, you're the wrong one here, sir.

First of all. The Benadir coast has always been inhabited by Somalis, even by the Barbara people who were Somali ancestors. Don't post Swahili revisionism here. Barawa in the 9th century was founded by Tunni people.

ivBW85LtRhCq866LVP18vA.png

Second of all. Ajuran defeated the Portuguese during the battle of Barawa. So I don't know what liberation you're talking?

ElohJxbRRhuoyvwvS2zfvg.png

Third of all. Have you learned about the Bardheere war? I think you're talking about this Barawa liberation when it was captured by the Jama'ah extremist group? No, the Geledi liberated Barawa under Sultan Yusuf Muhammad.

Sultan Yusuf and his 40 thousand Digil forces liberated Barawa and destroyed Bardheere, re-opened Luuq trade and Sultan Yusuf became the new political and religious leader in the region. The only southern Somalis that refused his leadership and authority were Bimaal. Bardheere eventually came under control of Geledi Sultanate, you even once said Geledi controlled Gedo. Geledi Sultanate also ruled lower Jubba as you can see from the source when they accepted the leadership of Sultan Yusuf. It was only Bimaal that resisted their hegemony. Basically, Rahanweyn were under Geledi rule and we all know Rahanweyn are not landlocked so your revisionism is incorrect.

TYGt5oZ-TTCIGAAxrIOpAw.png

These three sources I posted debunk your lies again. Now do us a favour and stay in your old care home.

:siilaanyolaugh:the only revisionist with no sources is you, you old fool .
you realy need to be banned from trolling the somali history section

I see no sources. Just Grant and his nonsense. Oh, Mukhtar book is outdated. There are new sources now. The sources I posted are new & authentic, you're the wrong one here, sir.

First of all. The Benadir coast has always been inhabited by Somalis, even by the Barbara people who were Somali ancestors. Don't post Swahili revisionism here. Barawa in the 9th century was founded by Tunni people.

ivBW85LtRhCq866LVP18vA.png

Second of all. Ajuran defeated the Portuguese during the battle of Barawa. So I don't know what liberation you're talking?

ElohJxbRRhuoyvwvS2zfvg.png

Third of all. Have you learned about the Bardheere war? I think you're talking about this Barawa liberation when it was captured by the Jama'ah extremist group? No, the Geledi liberated Barawa under Sultan Yusuf Muhammad.

Sultan Yusuf and his 40 thousand Digil forces liberated Barawa and destroyed Bardheere, re-opened Luuq trade and Sultan Yusuf became the new political and religious leader in the region. The only southern Somalis that refused his leadership and authority were Bimaal. Bardheere eventually came under control of Geledi Sultanate, you even once said Geledi controlled Gedo. Geledi Sultanate also ruled lower Jubba as you can see from the source when they accepted the leadership of Sultan Yusuf. It was only Bimaal that resisted their hegemony. Basically, Rahanweyn were under Geledi rule and we all know Rahanweyn are not landlocked so your revisionism is incorrect.

TYGt5oZ-TTCIGAAxrIOpAw.png

These three sources I posted debunk your lies again. Now do us a favour and stay in your old care home.

You have quotations, but no sources. And you accuse me?

Your general ignorance and refusal to read or produce sources do not become you. The new edition of Mukhtar is 2002. Scott Reese is 2008 and the standard by which all other books on the Banaadir is measured. Did you even read Yusuf and Ahmad? How about James Allen?

Last edited:

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
You have quotations, but no sources. And you accuse me?

Your general ignorance and refusal to read or produce sources do not become you. The new edition of Mukhtar is 2002. Scott Reese is 2008 and the standard by which all other books on the Banaadir is measured. Did you even read Yusuf and Ahmad? How about James Allen?
where are you're sources, you old fool ive been providing sources since the first post
did you forget to take you're pills,
only in the last post did i not provide a source
also @Factz @Apollo check this madness out

old man never supplied a single source i forget to supply a source on one post accuses me of not supplying any sources
the old fool must've forgot hes pills

anyhow you're just mumbling nonsense again with no actual evidence old man . I've already debunked you with my updated sources.

Why do you feel the need to lie? I always caught you lying.

Mohamed Haji Mukhtar book is outdated. Historical dictionary of Somalia was originally published in 1975.

29fhOGm.png

The three sources I posted are new and authentic. Here are the references:

Making Sense of Somali History: Volume 1 - Page 48

Making Sense of Somali History: Volume 1 - Page 60

Muslim Societies in Africa: A Historical Anthropology - Page 200

You're welcome. Now stay in the old care home old man. History was not for you.
:camby:

ps shanshiyo you dumb ass

where are you're sources, you old fool ive been providing sources since the first post

old man never supplied a single source i forget to supply a source on one post accuses me of not supplying any sources

anyhow you're just mumbling nonsense again with no actual evidence old man . I've already debunked you with my updated sources.

Mohamed Haji Mukhtar book is outdated. Historical dictionary of Somalia was originally published in 1975.

29fhOGm.png

Shut the f*ck up you delusional alt right retard. I live in America. I wouldnโ€™t talk about status if was your people.

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
Shut the f*ck up you delusional alt right retard. I live in America. I wouldnโ€™t talk about status if was your people.
america isn't you're country you qaxoti, i dont care about the opinion of a an cad cad anyway whatever the hell you are
you're old man was debunkt he had no sources :drakelaugh::mjlol:

keep crying you cad cad :lolbron:

29fhOGm.png

You are clearly delusional and comprehension-challenged. You do realize that 2002 is different from 1975? Your previous page reads like falsified Wiki, which makes sense as you didn't credit any of the quotations. For your information, Baadiyow is not a credible source.

The more recent the material on Somalia the less it is to be trusted, as much of it has been contaminated by the falsified Wikipedia articles and error-prone authors like Baadiyow. I suggest you stick to academic authors, especially those other academic authors quote.

I see nothing wrong so far with your third source. Note that it does not disagree with Scott Reese, who has a significantly more comprehensive account.

You have a lot more reading to do if you intend to catch up with my sources. Perhaps you need glasses?

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
You are clearly delusional and comprehension-challenged. You do realize that 2002 is different from 1975? Your previous page reads like falsified Wiki, which makes sense as you didn't credit any of the quotations. For your information, Baadiyow is not a credible source.

The more recent the material on Somalia the less it is to be trusted, as much of it has been contaminated by the falsified Wikipedia articles and error-prone authors like Baadiyow. I suggest you stick to academic authors, especially those other academic authors quote.

I see nothing wrong so far with your third source. Note that it does not disagree with Scott Reese, who has a significantly more comprehensive account.

You have a lot more reading to do if you intend to catch up with my sources. Perhaps you need glasses?
what are you blabbering about old man ??:draketf:
you where just arguing with no facts or sources and could not back up youre claims or provide any factz or sources :bell:

you lost this one you came with no sources and trolled the page , dont lecture me about which sources to read or to read more ive read enough
it is you that needs some reading to do , i dont care if you reject those sources they are still credible sources

all you did was troll, you need to find something else to do with you're time

may i suggest you play some bingo instead:obama:

what are you blabbering about old man ??:draketf:
you where just arguing with no facts or sources and could not back up youre claims or provide any factz or sources :bell:

you lost this one you came with no sources and trolled the page , dont lecture me about which sources to read or to read more ive read enough
it is you that needs some reading to do , i dont care if you reject those sources they are still credible sources

all you did was troll, you need to find something else to do with you're time

may i suggest you play some bingo instead:obama:

Apollo's post demonstrates the importance of credible links. Gullible fools have no place in the history section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts