CULTURE The Celebration of LAB in Mogadishu 1882

Hamzza

VIP
The celebration of LAB in mogadishu 1882

Revoil describes this festival, which he calls lab, but which other sources identify as Istaaqfurow, Debshid, Nayruus, or Ciid fircoon.
Lab.jpg

Internet Nomad

๐‘ฎ๐’๐’๐’† ๐’‡๐’๐’“ ๐’ˆ๐’“๐’†๐’†๐’๐’†๐’“ ๐’‘๐’‚๐’”๐’•๐’–๐’“๐’†๐’”
VIP
The celebration of LAB in mogadishu 1882

Revoil describes this festival, which he calls lab, but which other sources identify as Istaaqfurow, Debshid, Nayruus, or Ciid fircoon.
View attachment 268242
Is that a military march?

Hamzza

VIP
Is that a military march?
It is the festival of the summer solstice which is celebrated throughout Somalia and known most generally as dabshid (Neyrus in Persian). It occurs in Muqdisho at the same time as istuunka in Afgooye and is so similar as to be the same.

In 1894 Fionardi the colonial governor of Somalia describing this festival said:

The 16th of August is the beginning of the Somali year; on this day, it is the custom of the menfolk to come out in different tribal groups, well-armed, and make a feint against each other. Before the feast, the elders came to me to ask for permission to hold this extraordinary feast and for a permit to carry arms; they assured me that at the end of the feast, all arms were to be brought back into custody. It meant that all the citizens (about two thousand persons) would be armed in one day. It was a test and I tried it.

The four tribes of Scingani quarter, strong, of about two hundred young people, dressed like warriors; the elders walked in the front of their respective tribes, inspiring the youngsters to sing and dance...

To my astonishment, and my emotions were great when the groups paused in front of me, raising their arms towards me, chanting โ€œAo-Filoโ€ (โ€žaoโ€Ÿ meaning father and Filo being short for Filonardi) and there was a chorus of good wishes for my power. My satisfaction was immense, I would never have hoped so much and was unable to stop some tears. I did not, therefore, work for nothing, and if in Italy it is not recognised, luckily the Somalis recognise [my work].

Later on, the four tribes of the Hamarweyn followed the same ceremony. Being the most populated and richer quarter, the various groups were more, greater in number and were better equipped, it was a splendid show.

It is the festival of the summer solstice which is celebrated throughout Somalia and known most generally as dabshid (Neyrus in Persian). It occurs in Muqdisho at the same time as istuunka in Afgooye and is so similar as to be the same.

In 1894 Fionardi the colonial governor of Somalia describing this festival said:
I remember in xamar one day jumping over fires as celebration

Trending

Latest posts