The ATOM Discussion

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@Johnathan Smith and others may join this topic. But this idea of the ATOM is probably one of the more fascinating topic then the 'cosmo' topics. The cosmo is so big your mind cannot fully capture it, well with the atom, it's so infinitely small that your naked 'eye' or any 'microscope' can barely capture it. Imagine your put your body in a grinder and you broke it down untill it reached 'grain' level becuz at this point if it gets smaller, your naked eye cannot observe, but it get's smaller, it gets infinitely smaller.

The idea that things exist beyond what your naked 'eye' or any 'microsope' can capture is what fascinates me. Infact we know there is 3 dimension(height, width, depth) and then fourth dimension(time), probably gravity might be another dimension, in-fact the dimensions could be up to 20 other un-observable layers. But back to the atom to grasp how small it gets, you would need to grind a body up untill it's the smallest observable grain and then fill up a house with it 10 times over and that's like 1 atom.

Once u get to the ATOM, it breaks down again into 99% empty space, were talking at 'cosmo' level type of empty space. Imagine u took all stars-planet and put it all together, you can imagine space outweighs it all by 99% empty space before we even get to particle stage and repeat the same process 99% empty space again, till you get neutrons-protons-electrons. No-one wants to describe what it these particles are, but I assume it's 'energy'. Kind like electricity on a power line, you can't actually see how it operates and only see it's 'after effects' like light or machinery parts moving.

Then these ATOMS connect to Other Atoms to create molecules, each atom has an atomic sequence based on number of protons-neutrons-electrons that describes what it can create in terms of elements. I haven't investigated this to find certain rules or patterns or if it's random. I suspect there is patterns and rules not random.

But as Somalis we need to learn theses important concepts and discuss it further here.

1. Energy. Is it waves? is it vertical-horizontal or curvy? is it one continous stream or multiple separate streams. Does it have fields and do they interact with other fields. Understand relationship between positive/negative charges becuz positive/positive will collide, negative/negative will not charge.
2. Laws, Rules, Pattern at an atomic level. Becuz Random is unlikely(there goes atheism)
3. We must follow the philosophy of 'common' origin as evolution teaches, becuz all this happening independently is unlikely.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
If u can grasp energy, you can grasp all atomic sciences. The way I see energy is motion, without it you none of your body or anything in life would move or even be alive, it's obvious these neutrons-protons-electrons are moving or has motion some say it's orbital like the planet but some say it's not.

U have to remember anything can have 'multiple' layers or 'attributes' or 'factors' inside of it no matter wat topic, so u need to look for them and then find patterns and then eventually laws. Kinda like a bedroom, u cud describe it as 'height, width, volume' technically, but then it has attributes doors-windows-floors and these r 'consistent' as a patteren with all bedrooms, then u say it's a 'law'. U need to study science with the same type of thinking approach.

Last edited:

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Why I promote to Somalis to follow the common origin philosophy to any subject they study, it's hard to dismiss, charles darwin found it tho in biology, but it's applicable cosmo or atomic, why? we don't live in 100 different worlds, it's one world, one universe, everything must report back to common origins unless you want to be a clown

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
We have to remember we need to observe the natural state of atom in it's natural state and then see also if it can be modified thru experimentation and what that means in terms of internal reactions and what external reaction it creates. I think the scientists only do it at molecule level experimentation by tweaking different sequences of protons-neutrons-electrons and bind it to different atoms of different attributes to observe results.

To understand exactly how particles behave in an atomic sense, it helps to understand the laws which exist on an atomic scale.

According to the best known understanding of our universe today, there exists four fundamental laws of physics which govern everything that happens in the universe. In other words, these fundamental laws cannot be further broken down/cannot be explained by some successive law, and why these laws exist go out of the bounds of science and into the realm of philosophy and religion.

The four fundamental laws of physics are as follows: gravitation, electromagnetism, the strong nuclear force and the weak nuclear force, which I will explain further below.

In simple terms, gravity can be thought of as a force, defined as F=Gm1m2/r^2. Any object with some mass exerts a force on all other objects with some mass. Gravity is the reason why you are sitting in your chair, why the earth rotates around the sun, why the sun rotates around the milky way and so on. However, the more correct way to think about gravity is not in terms of a force but rather as a result of general relativity, which states that in space, there are four dimensions: three dimensions of space and one dimension of time. Objects with mass will curve space, and the curvature of spacetime causes gravity (as shown in the below picture).
1688168264827.png

Electromagnetism consists of Coulomb's Law as well as four of Maxwell's laws, all of which govern how electric and magnetic fields interact. Coulomb's Law explains the attractive force between particles with charge, namely the proton and electron, which can be described in formulaic form as F=kq1q2/r^2, where q1 and q2 are the two charges which are applying a force on each other, k is a constant and r^2 is the distance between the two charges. A consequence of Coulomb's Law is that opposite charges (i.e. proton and electron) attract, and like charges (i.e. proton and proton, electron & electron) repel. Coulomb's Law is depicted in the image below:
1688168756626.png

Maxwell's equations govern the relationships between electric and magnetic fields which propagate through space. These laws require an understanding of vector calculus at minimum to understand so I won't dive further in them, but they are listed in the image below.

1688168959528.png

Electromagnetism can explain much of our everyday phenomena. Essentially any electric device that you use, from the simple circuit of a light bulb to the phone you are browsing this forum with are an abstraction of the laws governing charges. For example, in the circuit of a simple light bulb shown below, the battery has excees positive charge on one terminal and excees negative charge on the other. When the switch is turned on, because Coulomb's Law states that negative charges and positive charges are attracted to one another, electrons will move from one side of the battery to the other, and the light bulb turns on as electrons flow through it.
1688169003301.png

Electromagnetism can also explain why lots of objects do not collide with one another. For example, you can't just run past a wall, you will end up colliding with the wall. This is also explained by Coulomb's Law - your electrons and the wall's electrons end up repelling one another, causing your face to hit flat against the wall.

The strong nuclear force and the weak nuclear force both apply at the atomic level. The strong nuclear force is what causes the nucleus of an atom (the neutron and proton) to stay together. As stated earlier, protons and electrons attract, so the proton will be attracted towards the electron. Without the strong nuclear force, there is no way for the proton to stay with the neutron, and atoms would not exist. On the other hand, the weak nuclear force governs the behavior of radioactive decay, and unstable atoms. I'm less knowledgeable about the strong and weak nuclear forces, so you may need to ask a physicist about how these laws work in more detail, and I'm sure there is a lot more detail a physicist can go into with these four fundamental laws especially in a quantum level, since I don't know much about quantum physics.

Your question was namely, what laws exist in an atomic level. Only three of these laws (strong, weak, electromagnetism) exist in the atomic level on a quantum scale. The law of gravitation is explained by general relativity, and is not yet explained in a quantum level. Scientists currently are figuring out how to unify the quantum laws and the laws of general relativity together.

To answer your questions:
1. Energy. Is it waves? is it vertical-horizontal or curvy? is it one continous stream or multiple separate streams. Does it have fields and do they interact with other fields. Understand relationship between positive/negative charges becuz positive/positive will collide, negative/negative will not charge.
Energy is not a wave, it can be thought of as an abstract concept derived from the fundamental laws. Energy is the ability to do work, and work is the energy transferred to an object when applying a force over a given distance. This ability to do work always comes from one of the fundamental laws of physics. For example, if your sitting at the top of a cliff, there is a stored gravitational potential energy with respect to the ground below the cliff because gravity has the potential to bring you down if you jump off the cliff - or the potential to transfer energy by applying a gravitational force over a given distance.

2. Laws, Rules, Pattern at an atomic level. Becuz Random is unlikely(there goes atheism)

The laws governing atoms are not random, they are ultimately derived from the laws of physics. For example, the laws of chemistry involving chemcial reactions between atoms are all derived from the laws of physics. Biology is also an abstraction of chemistry, medicine is an abstraction of biology and so on. Relevant xkcd.
1688171042813.png

Last edited:

Liban89

Maqal herder | Burco boodhweyn.
Everyone should familiarise themselves with the standard model of elementary particles, the interactions of particles and the forces mediating those interactions. Then one might have a chance of grasping the craziness of the quantum world. Here is a nice simplified chart to start with:

IMG_20230701_212115.jpg

Hilmaam

Standin on bihness
VIP
To understand exactly how particles behave in an atomic sense, it helps to understand the laws which exist on an atomic scale.

According to the best known understanding of our universe today, there exists four fundamental laws of physics which govern everything that happens in the universe. In other words, these fundamental laws cannot be further broken down/cannot be explained by some successive law, and why these laws exist go out of the bounds of science and into the realm of philosophy and religion.

The four fundamental laws of physics are as follows: gravitation, electromagnetism, the strong nuclear force and the weak nuclear force, which I will explain further below.

In simple terms, gravity can be thought of as a force, defined as F=Gm1m2/r^2. Any object with some mass exerts a force on all other objects with some mass. Gravity is the reason why you are sitting in your chair, why the earth rotates around the sun, why the sun rotates around the milky way and so on. However, the more correct way to think about gravity is not in terms of a force but rather as a result of general relativity, which states that in space, there are four dimensions: three dimensions of space and one dimension of time. Objects with mass will curve space, and the curvature of spacetime causes gravity (as shown in the below picture).
View attachment 281300

Electromagnetism consists of Coulomb's Law as well as four of Maxwell's laws, all of which govern how electric and magnetic fields interact. Coulomb's Law explains the attractive force between particles with charge, namely the proton and electron, which can be described in formulaic form as F=kq1q2/r^2, where q1 and q2 are the two charges which are applying a force on each other, k is a constant and r^2 is the distance between the two charges. A consequence of Coulomb's Law is that opposite charges (i.e. proton and electron) attract, and like charges (i.e. proton and proton, electron & electron) repel. Coulomb's Law is depicted in the image below:
View attachment 281301

Maxwell's equations govern the relationships between electric and magnetic fields which propagate through space. These laws require an understanding of vector calculus at minimum to understand so I won't dive further in them, but they are listed in the image below.

View attachment 281303

Electromagnetism can explain much of our everyday phenomena. Essentially any electric device that you use, from the simple circuit of a light bulb to the phone you are browsing this forum with are an abstraction of the laws governing charges. For example, in the circuit of a simple light bulb shown below, the battery has excees positive charge on one terminal and excees negative charge on the other. When the switch is turned on, because Coulomb's Law states that negative charges and positive charges are attracted to one another, electrons will move from one side of the battery to the other, and the light bulb turns on as electrons flow through it.
View attachment 281304
Electromagnetism can also explain why lots of objects do not collide with one another. For example, you can't just run past a wall, you will end up colliding with the wall. This is also explained by Coulomb's Law - your electrons and the wall's electrons end up repelling one another, causing your face to hit flat against the wall.

The strong nuclear force and the weak nuclear force both apply at the atomic level. The strong nuclear force is what causes the nucleus of an atom (the neutron and proton) to stay together. As stated earlier, protons and electrons attract, so the proton will be attracted towards the electron. Without the strong nuclear force, there is no way for the proton to stay with the neutron, and atoms would not exist. On the other hand, the weak nuclear force governs the behavior of radioactive decay, and unstable atoms. I'm less knowledgeable about the strong and weak nuclear forces, so you may need to ask a physicist about how these laws work in more detail, and I'm sure there is a lot more detail a physicist can go into with these four fundamental laws especially in a quantum level, since I don't know much about quantum physics.

Your question was namely, what laws exist in an atomic level. Only three of these laws (strong, weak, electromagnetism) exist in the atomic level on a quantum scale. The law of gravitation is explained by general relativity, and is not yet explained in a quantum level. Scientists currently are figuring out how to unify the quantum laws and the laws of general relativity together.

Energy is not a wave, it can be thought of as an abstract concept derived from the fundamental laws. Energy is the ability to do work, and work is the energy transferred to an object when applying a force over a given distance. This ability to do work always comes from one of the fundamental laws of physics. For example, if your sitting at the top of a cliff, there is a stored gravitational potential energy with respect to the ground below the cliff because gravity has the potential to bring you down if you jump off the cliff - or the potential to transfer energy by applying a gravitational force over a given distance.

The laws governing atoms are not random, they are ultimately derived from the laws of physics. For example, the laws of chemistry involving chemcial reactions between atoms are all derived from the laws of physics. Biology is also an abstraction of chemistry, medicine is an abstraction of biology and so on. Relevant xkcd.
View attachment 281311
Well summarized. A lot of the things we know in this world like you said are based on observation and there is limit to that what we can observe since we are human. But these fundamental laws are closest we have gotten so far to describe world around us
1688237205793.jpeg

Hilmaam

Standin on bihness
VIP
Well summarized. A lot of the things we know in this world like you said are based on observation and there is limit to that what we can observe since we are human. But these fundamental laws are closest we have gotten so far to describe world around us
View attachment 281381
I with AI and super computers exciting times ahead in science. more formulas theorems and progress hopefully. I remember hearing about possibility of even finding a formula that ties all the sciences together and can be used to derive all the laws not sure if it’s possible but intresting. Always tripped me out on school how F=ma was used to derive so many other equations
1688237754392.jpeg

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP

View attachment 281300

View attachment 281301

View attachment 281303

View attachment 281304

View attachment 281311

Thank u for the update. The topic of 'energy' I meant 'electrical-magnetic' Is it a wave and if so, does it have dimensions(height, length, depth), is it one continous stream or random waves in and out. Is it vertical-horizontal or any direction? Is it like the life-support machine horizontal or can it switch vertical? as u can see in life support machine it has 'continous' stream with 'charges' as waves for activity, is it similar to that?

intraaortic-balloon-pump-iabp-machine-260nw-1664986870.jpg

As u may be aware. At the cosmo or atomic level, their is Laws-Rules-Logic not randomness. Similar to a buiding with a blue print where-as a physical building with no blue print or randomness makes no sense, their does appear their is a blue-print at the atomic and cosmo scale, not randomness, or else we would be able to demonstrate randomness creating any physical system.

Last edited:

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
I with AI and super computers exciting times ahead in science. more formulas theorems and progress hopefully. I remember hearing about possibility of even finding a formula that ties all the sciences together and can be used to derive all the laws not sure if it’s possible but intresting. Always tripped me out on school how F=ma was used to derive so many other equations
View attachment 281383

I am big supporter philosophically to think and solve issues with a theory of everything and common origins becuz the universe is 1 and has a common origin 14 billion years ago, we are not magically independent of each other which current standard theory is showing. We are 1 board like a puzzle board(one universe), we need to bring all the pieces together to finally complete the board.

I have heard even tho it's hard and some think unifying quantum and cosmo is impossible.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
View attachment 281381

Observation isn't only human senses. Theories grounded in laws-rules-logic or equipments(microscopes) and various other techniques beyond human sense is a form of observation also.

Hilmaam

Standin on bihness
VIP
Observation isn't only human senses. Theories grounded in laws-rules-logic or equipments(microscopes) and various other techniques beyond human sense is a form of observation also.
I consider that part of human observation, just using tools we have to observe universe around us, but eventually we run into a point in all field where cant go any further with the why's and its just becomes that the way it is.

like other guy stated we know mass has gravity and we have physics formulas that detail relationship and we have used to get satellites in space and land on moon. But we cant answer why gravity is just a law because it's way universe is written and set up by god. A lot of science is describing written rules of universe and purest way to do that is math

In Newton's theory, the attraction between masses is a "law", as a principle because we observe that without any reason or more fundamental cause.

In Einstein's theory, which explains gravitational phenomena that Newton's theory can not explain, the presence of mass affects the curvature of nearby space, in a way that even affects light.

However, neither does anyone know why that may be so. It is simply what is observed in our real physical world.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
I consider that part of human observation, just using tools we have to observe universe around us, but eventually we run into a point in all field where cant go any further with the why's and its just becomes that the way it is.

like other guy stated we know mass has gravity and we have physics formulas that detail relationship and we have used to get satellites in space and land on moon. But we cant answer why gravity is just a law because it's way universe is written and set up by god. A lot of science is describing written rules of universe and purest way to do that is math

In Newton's theory, the attraction between masses is a "law", as a principle because we observe that without any reason or more fundamental cause.

In Einstein's theory, which explains gravitational phenomena that Newton's theory can not explain, the presence of mass affects the curvature of nearby space, in a way that even affects light.

However, neither does anyone know why that may be so. It is simply what is observed in our real physical world.

Isn't science focused on 'how' not necessarily the 'why' and religion 'attempts' poorly with 'human limitations' to describe religion. Even if religion was true, it's from such a vastly superior diety to us, no matter how u explain religion and try to humanize it, u also never 'grasped' it to begin with. So the same argument can be used against religion. 1 word in the quran can have infinite meanings after-all its from an 'infinite being' so u limit religion when u explain it thru human reasoning also becuz u just 'limited' the quran indirectly to your brain.

Hilmaam

Standin on bihness
VIP
Science today is very limited i recently learned that even when we look out into space we are seeing old footage of stars and planets due to vastness of universe and how long it takes light to reach us. So when they say planet thousand light years is habitable it just theory because it might have blown up and we wont know for another thousand years .

Its trippy how sun might blow up and we wouldn't even know for 8 minutes

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Science today is very limited i recently learned that even when we look out into space we are seeing old footage of stars and planets due to vastness of universe and how long it takes light to reach us. So when they say planet thousand light years is habitable it just theory because it might have blown up and we wont know for another thousand years .

Its trippy how sun might blow up and we wouldn't even know for 8 minutes

The same argument can be applied to religion. 1 word in the quran should be able to be interpreted with infinite meaning since it's from an infinite being, if however it becomes limited to human reasoning and intelligence and limited to our intelligence, it's no longer from an infinite being. That's why I know religion as it stands is 'false' since it's 'stuck in time' and not allowed to grow and explore further which shouldn't threaten religion after all, as we grow our intelligencee, it should technically 'never end' anyways on 'god side'

Hilmaam

Standin on bihness
VIP
Isn't science focused on 'how' not necessarily the 'why' and religion 'attempts' poorly with 'human limitations' to describe religion. Even if religion was true, it's from such a vastly superior diety to us, no matter how u explain religion and try to humanize it, u also never 'grasped' it to begin with. So the same argument can be used against religion. 1 word in the qura can have infinite meanings after-all its from an 'infinite being' so u limit religion when u explain it thru human reasoning also.
Its all about having faith i'm not islamic scholar, sometimes untrained people trying to give dawah do more damage than good you should sit down with sheik and talk through any doubts, our families have been muslim for generations and its blessing to me

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Its all about having faith i'm not islamic scholar, sometimes untrained people trying to give dawah do more damage than good you should sit down with sheik and talk through any doubts, our families have been muslim for generations and its blessing to me

For example jesus birth, moses red sea split, jinns, etc why can't I interpret that as 'visions' god gave to those ppl not actual 'real event' u will jump up n down and say no no no its REAL events and miracles, so u already limited the quran indirectly as u wont accept other plausible explanations and only accept 1 limited explanation. And if u cant explain the quran in infinite possible ways, I doubt thats from god. It maybe from god originally but has 'rot and decayed' to human limitations.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@cars When your studying any physical phenonem, system, object no matter what it is, it is grounded in Laws >>>> Patterns >>>> Rules >>> attributes >>> relationships. But inside each object whether atom or sub atomical, they have attributes or behaviors and relationships. Inside an Atom is it mere 'electrical-magnetic' fields or is that just an 'surrounding layer in the empty space'. Is atoms at it's base level just 'energy' and the difference between atoms is their energy sequences or quantity.

Thank u for the update. The topic of 'energy' I meant 'electrical-magnetic' Is it a wave and if so, does it have dimensions(height, length, depth), is it one continous stream or random waves in and out. Is it vertical-horizontal or any direction? Is it like the life-support machine horizontal or can it switch vertical? as u can see in life support machine it has 'continous' stream with 'charges' as waves for activity, is it similar to that?
Electric and magnetic fields are fields, not waves.

Lorentz' Force Law is shown below. The Lorentz Force Law can be used to calculate the net force caused by both an electric force and magnetic force. All charged particles carry electric fields, and if a charged particle is moving relative to an inertial reference frame, a magnetic field is created from that charged particle from the perspective from that reference frame.

1688334110348.png

A given system of charges creates an electric field which propagates through space at light speed. Electric field is defined as E = F/q, or the electric force experienced per unit charge at a given point in space. Electric fields are vector fields. For example, the below image shows the electric field created by a system of charges. This system is called a dipole (since there is a positive and negative charge). The direction of the arrows indicate the direction of the electric force that a charge would experience at that point in space, and the magnitude indicates the strength of the electric field.
1688333858366.png

As discussed earlier, moving charges relative to a inertial reference frame create magnetic fields. For example, an electron's spin will cause a magnetic field. This spin causes a magnetic dipole. All atoms have these magnetic fields, but most everyday objects are not magnetic because these magnetic fields end up cancelling each other out.
1688334467982.png

Now, there is one more thing not discussed yet - and that is electromagnetic waves. According to Faraday's Law (shown below), a changing magnetic flux produces an electric field, and according to Ampere-Maxwell Law (also shown below), a changing electric flux creates a magnetic field.
1688335154803.png

If you don't know what the flux of a vector field is, the flux of a vector field is the amount of field lines passing through some surface. An example is shown below:
1688335299611.png

A consequence of Faraday's and the Ampere-Maxwell Law are electromagnetic waves. Changing electric flux in one region will end up causing a magnetic field

1688335390675.png

1688337119576.png

To answer your question about the dimensions of an electromagnetic wave, electromagnetic waves have a frequency and wavelength. The wavelength of the wave is the period of the wave, and the frequency is defined as f = 1/T, where T is the period of the sinusoidal wave, with units of Hz. Such quantities are related to the speed of light by c = wavelength * frequency, where c is the speed of light.

Electromagnetic waves have plenty of applications. For example, internet and cellular data are the result of scientific understanding of electromagnetic waves. A simple antenna can be created by oscillating the electric flux of a wire by applying an alternating current. This electric flux will in turn create a magnetic field which will propagate through space, which will create an electric field and so on.. if you place another antenna parallel to it, apply no voltage and measure the changing current, you will notice that the current changed without applying any voltage to the receiving antenna. The change in magnetic flux produced by the electromagnetic field will create an electric field and induce a voltage across the wire.

Examples of electromagnetic waves can be found all throughout your life. Radiowaves have long wavelengths allowing such waves to move past glass allowing you to communicate indoors. X-rays on the other hand, have wavelengths so small that they can displace electrons from atoms and break molecular bonds. We see bones in X-rays because the x-rays are less likely to get past the bone molecules because they have a higher density then skin molecules.
1688336477801.png

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@cars Thank you for your response and it's very in-depth response and very 'deep', even if the presentation is a little 'chaotic'.

No offense to you, but so I can understand better can you keep the physic related properties in a 'bold' called '4D' aspects(length, width, depth, time) so it doesn't get mixed up with the 'concept' or 'laws'.

4-D is an established aspect of all the universe and therefore ATOMS or anything cannot escape that law. I just learn better this way by sub-dividing topics into 'themes' and then studying core areas underneath, something like this.

Laws

Dump all the laws in here

4D aspects

Dump all the formulas in here such as time, length, width, depth, mass

Keep all the physic related measurement

Behavior-Relationships-Rules-Patterns

Dump all that in here

From what I gathered, I could be wrong at a concept level. It's not 'waves' but 'fields. Let's define 'field' are we talking invisible fields like 'home' wireless at home with computers, that type of field? and you said it has a magnetic layer to it also, similar to the field created between a magnet and fridge?'

So it's like a 'wireless/fridge magnet' combination field? is that happening in the empty 'space' and not the actual 'charges' or does the charge 'create' the electro-magnetic field? or is the electromagnetic across all empty space as a field while the charges are secondary? Or are they both electro-magnetic fields on the charge and the space?

Last edited:

Trending

Latest posts