The Ansari Companion Ubada ibn Al-Samit

techsamatar

I put Books to the Test of Life
Ubadah ibn Samit was a Commander in the army going to Egypt. When they reached Cairo, they entered thru the Coptic (Christian) domain that was ruled by a man named alMuqawqis.

Al-Muqawqis was unpleased. He could not accept that they were being lead by a black man, so he said:

“Take this black one (man) away from me, and bring forth another to speak to me”.
The Muslim army replied:

"This man is the best of us in reasoning & knowledge, and the black & the white to us are exactly the same”.
AlMuqawqis said:

“How can you accept him to be the best amongst you? He should be the least amongst you...”
...and he proceeded to insult Ubadah. However none of the Muslims budged, and alMuqawqis realized he was going to have to engage the black Commander. Thus he conceded:

“Come oh black, and say what you have to say, but speak to me gently because your blackness scares me, for if you speak harshly it’s going to scare me more and I might be forced to act”.
Ubadah gave a response that shocked alMuqawqis:

“Are you intimidated by my blackness? Amongst the Sahaba I’ve left behind are a thousand men that are as black as me and even blacker...and if you saw them you would be scared.
I’m an old man, my youth has left me, but I would not be scared if one hundred of you wanted to fight me! I am not afraid of you and the same is true for all of these companions”.

when Muqawqis, the 7th century Greek ruler of Egypt, saw the extreme blackness of Ubada ibn Al-Samit's complexion when he stepped forward to speak as the leader of the delegation sent at Muqawqis's request, he shouted: "Get this black man away from me and send forward someone else to speak!" Let's take a closer look at who Ubada ibn Al-Samit was. He is Ubada the son of Al-Samit the son of Qais the son of Asram the son of Fihr the son of Tha'alaba the son of Ghanim the son of 'Auf the son of Amru the son of 'Auf the son of Al-Khazraj the son of Al-Haritha the son of Amru the son of 'Aamir the son of Haritha the son of Amr al Qais the son of Tha'laba the son of Mazin the son of Al-Azd the son of Al-Ghawth the son of Nabt the son of Malik the son of Zaid the son of Kahlan the son of Saba the son of Yashjab the son of Ya'arub the son of Qahtan. His mother was Qurrat Al-Ain the daughter of Ubada the son of Nadla the son of Malik the son of Ajlaan the son of Zaid the son of Ghanim the son of Saalim the son of 'Auf the son of Amru the son of 'Auf the son of Al-Khazraj the son of Al-Haritha the son of Amru the son of 'Aamir the son of Haritha the son of Amr al Qais the son of Tha'laba the son of Mazin the son of Al-Azd the son of Al-Ghawth the son of Nabt the son of Malik the son of Zaid the son of Kahlan the son of Saba the son of Yashjab the son of Ya'arub the son of Qahtan.

As you can see, Ubada ibn Al-Samit is a descendant of Saba from both his father's side and his mother's side. There is a chapter of the Quran which speaks of the people of Saba and the name of the chapter is Saba.

Allah says in Surat Saba of the Quran:

34:15

لَقَدْ كَانَ لِسَبَإٍ فِي مَسْكَنِهِمْ آيَةٌ جَنَّتَانِ عَن يَمِينٍ وَشِمَالٍ كُلُوا مِن رِّزْقِ رَبِّكُمْ وَاشْكُرُوا لَهُ بَلْدَةٌ طَيِّبَةٌ وَرَبٌّ غَفُورٌ

There was for [the tribe of] Saba' in their dwelling place a sign: two [fields of] gardens on the right and on the left. [They were told], "Eat from the provisions of your Lord and be grateful to Him. A good land [have you], and a forgiving Lord."

Tafsir al-Jalalayn

Verily there was for Sheba (Saba’, declined [as li-Saba’in] or left as indeclinable [li-Saba’a], is [the name of] a tribe that took its name from one of their Arab ancestors) in their dwelling-place, in Yemen, a sign: indicating God’s power, exalted be He, two gardens (jannatān, a substitution [for āyatun, ‘a sign’]) to the right and to the left, in other words, on the right side of their valley and on its left side. And it was said to them: ‘Eat of your Lord’s provision and give thanks to Him, for the graces He has bestowed on you in the land of Sheba. A good land — in which there was no dung, gnats, flies, fleas, scorpions, or snakes, and in which when a stranger passed through with his clothes lice-infected, these [lice] would be killed off because of the purity of its air — and, God is, a forgiving Lord.’

Trending