The album that saved hip hop.

Odkac WRLD

جندي صومال
VIP
ManonTheMoonTheEndofDay.jpg

Man on The Moon.

In the late 2000s, hip hop and music in general was in a confusing place.

Nobody was buying physical CDs because everyone was turning to (mostly illegal) streaming on the internet.

One of the first artists to regularly post on YT, Kid Cudi gained a rabid fan base and pushed hip hop to new realms. His vulnerability when talking about depression and other pain, and the openness in which he recorded about his life gained him legions of rabid fans.

One of the most underrated rappers in hip hop, you can find his influence in basically every artist from 2010-now.

Drake, Kendrick Lamar, and Travis Scott are only some of the artists to say Cudi had a big influence on their work.

ManonTheMoonTheEndofDay.jpg

Man on The Moon.

In the late 2000s, hip hop and music in general was in a confusing place.

Nobody was buying physical CDs because everyone was turning to (mostly illegal) streaming on the internet.

One of the first artists to regularly post on YT, Kid Cudi gained a rabid fan base and pushed hip hop to new realms. His vulnerability when talking about depression and other pain, and the openness in which he recorded about his life gained him legions of rabid fans.

One of the most underrated rappers in hip hop, you can find his influence in basically every artist from 2010-now.

Drake, Kendrick Lamar, and Travis Scott are only some of the artists to say Cudi had a big influence on their work.

this "sensitive rapper" thing was from Kanye.... Kanye West was the big pioneer of the "sensitive rapper".....

music is haraam.... I think the rap of today is worse than the rap of the 90's, though.... I think Kanye West and his "sensitive rapper" movement really made things in a worse direction..... it's an extension of this whole push to blur the lines between the sexes

Odkac WRLD

جندي صومال
VIP
this "sensitive rapper" thing was from Kanye.... Kanye West was the big pioneer of the "sensitive rapper".....

music is haraam.... I think the rap of today is worse than the rap of the 90's, though.... I think Kanye West and his "sensitive rapper" movement really made things in a worse direction..... it's an extension of this whole push to blur the lines between the sexes
I never thought of it as a way to rot at values like that, but it is what’s happening. People are much too malleable these days, I agree.:hmm:

I never thought of it as a way to rot at values like that, but it is what’s happening. People are much too malleable these days, I agree.:hmm:

Music even in the 60's was an attack on social values. In fact, even prior to that.

For example, the old blues singer Muddy Waters isn't really considered controversial today. In his day, though, his sort of music was considered very controversial. Even Elvis. I remember this old lady when I was a kid told me how the TV would show Elvis from the waist up because he would swing his hips and this was considered very obscene and shocking.

With Muddy Waters and his kind of music, people nowadays would be taught that that kind of music was looked down upon because of racism. In the 90's, rap was super controversial and nowadays it will be framed as though it was about racism. This is just a smokescreen.

There's a Muddy Waters song where he says "I Just Want to Make Love to You" and if you look at the lyrics, the whole song is explicitly him saying he doesn't want a monogamous relationship with this woman and he just wants to "make love " to her. Imagine how transgressive such a message is in the context of the 1940's/1950's.

Okay, now let me get to the 1960's. The Beatles popularized drug use. They made it seem normal and cool for people to use drugs. In fact, with the drug cartels in Mexico- the drug trade became way bigger after the 1960's in large part due to The Beatles and hippie movement making drugs more popular. It was with The Beatles and the 1960's hippie culture that it became considered normal for young people to smoke weed and mess around with drugs.

1990's....... the 90's rap was filth. These rappers were openly calling women the b word and using all sorts of obscenity and glorifying criminality. 90's rap was super shocking in its time. Plus there was Marilyn Manson who was considered super shocking and blamed for the Columbine school shooting. Plus there was Nirvana and grunge music which promoted a nihilistic outlook and hard drugs like heroin. That kind of music was a really evil influence.

(I was born in 93 btw)

Kanye came later as I'm sure you know and then he promoted more of this "sensitive rapper" thing (although I think the rappers now are probably way more extreme with that direction).....

every era is worse than the one that preceding it......

I don't know what the rap music today sounds like..... I was curious and the other day I looked into who the big rappers today are...... I don't listen to music but I read a little about them and I read the lyrics to a song called "Lucid dreams"..... now, as I understand it..... a lot of the rap now is what's called "emo rap"....

I say this because in a way I sort of don't blame younger gen z people for not thinking the rappers today are strangely soft.... when Kanye got famous and promoted his thing, the "sensitive rapper" thing was kind of a novelty.... now the "sensitive rapper" I think is the norm

anyways, I type all this out to illustrate that music has played a morally corruptive role for a long time and I think especially since 20th century..... Islam is absolutely right to prohibit music and by doing so it protects us against evil influence....

people are influenced by environment.... if someone grows up in Canada, they'll be influenced by Canada..... people today are malleable and it's always been like that.... even you or I are potentially like that....

Removed

Gif-King
VIP
Music even in the 60's was an attack on social values. In fact, even prior to that.

For example, the old blues singer Muddy Waters isn't really considered controversial today. In his day, though, his sort of music was considered very controversial. Even Elvis. I remember this old lady when I was a kid told me how the TV would show Elvis from the waist up because he would swing his hips and this was considered very obscene and shocking.

With Muddy Waters and his kind of music, people nowadays would be taught that that kind of music was looked down upon because of racism. In the 90's, rap was super controversial and nowadays it will be framed as though it was about racism. This is just a smokescreen.

There's a Muddy Waters song where he says "I Just Want to Make Love to You" and if you look at the lyrics, the whole song is explicitly him saying he doesn't want a monogamous relationship with this woman and he just wants to "make love " to her. Imagine how transgressive such a message is in the context of the 1940's/1950's.

Okay, now let me get to the 1960's. The Beatles popularized drug use. They made it seem normal and cool for people to use drugs. In fact, with the drug cartels in Mexico- the drug trade became way bigger after the 1960's in large part due to The Beatles and hippie movement making drugs more popular. It was with The Beatles and the 1960's hippie culture that it became considered normal for young people to smoke weed and mess around with drugs.

1990's....... the 90's rap was filth. These rappers were openly calling women the b word and using all sorts of obscenity and glorifying criminality. 90's rap was super shocking in its time. Plus there was Marilyn Manson who was considered super shocking and blamed for the Columbine school shooting. Plus there was Nirvana and grunge music which promoted a nihilistic outlook and hard drugs like heroin. That kind of music was a really evil influence.

(I was born in 93 btw)

Kanye came later as I'm sure you know and then he promoted more of this "sensitive rapper" thing (although I think the rappers now are probably way more extreme with that direction).....

every era is worse than the one that preceding it......

I don't know what the rap music today sounds like..... I was curious and the other day I looked into who the big rappers today are...... I don't listen to music but I read a little about them and I read the lyrics to a song called "Lucid dreams"..... now, as I understand it..... a lot of the rap now is what's called "emo rap"....

I say this because in a way I sort of don't blame younger gen z people for not thinking the rappers today are strangely soft.... when Kanye got famous and promoted his thing, the "sensitive rapper" thing was kind of a novelty.... now the "sensitive rapper" I think is the norm

anyways, I type all this out to illustrate that music has played a morally corruptive role for a long time and I think especially since 20th century..... Islam is absolutely right to prohibit music and by doing so it protects us against evil influence....

people are influenced by environment.... if someone grows up in Canada, they'll be influenced by Canada..... people today are malleable and it's always been like that.... even you or I are potentially like that....
Music definitely can have that effect but do you think it is Haram if it doesn’t include any harmful messaging? I always considered it Haram and that anyone who disagreed was some sort of Qadiani or Sufi.

I have recently come across major scholars I respect who dont believe it is actually haram in and of itself. This was kind of humbling to know that even when you think you are close to the Salaf you really aren’t safe without knowledge of there teachings.

Music definitely can have that effect but do you think it is Haram if it doesn’t include any harmful messaging? I always considered it Haram and that anyone who disagreed was some sort of Qadiani or Sufi.

I have recently come across major scholars I respect who dont believe it is actually haram in and of itself. This was kind of humbling to know that even when you think you are close to the Salaf you really aren’t safe without knowledge of there teachings.

I think the four imams all agreed it is haraam. I think it's clearly haraam and I think the evidence clearly shows this.

Removed

Gif-King
VIP
I think the four imams all agreed it is haraam. I think it's clearly haraam and I think the evidence clearly shows this.

Have you read the opinions of Ibn Hazm and Shawkaani and how they disagree with its ruling and at best place Makrooh on it. There is no direct ayah in the quran stating “Music” is haram and there is not Hadith that directly states the same and is authentic.

Apparently many instruments actually have links to Andalusia

Trending

Latest posts