That awkard moment when you realize

Status
Not open for further replies.
colonialism saved your people :damn:

Every inch of Somali lands would have been under Ethiopia if there was no colonization of Somali/Somaliland/Djibouti. The only reason they were stopped was because the colonial powers signed agreements demarcating borders. Somalis were too tribal to form a united front to resist xabashis with a strong central government that could raise armies and import modern weapons.

Apollo

VIP
I doubt that. Most of the Ethiopian highlands (like the Sidamo, Wolayta, Oromo, Amhara areas) were culturally strongly connected. The Somali lowlands were never part of the Ethiosphere. It is not a given that it would have been part of Ethiopia without colonialism.

I doubt that. Most of the Ethiopian highlands (like the Sidamo, Wolayta, Oromo, Amhara areas) were culturally strongly connected. The Somali lowlands were never part of the Ethiosphere. It is not a given that it would have been part of Ethiopia without colonialism.

If that was the case they would've stopped at Harar but no they continued to expand until the borders were created. Being culturally connected isn't a precursor to conquering new land, nations all over the world conquered people they had nothing in common with.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
Lol the colonailists came in the late 19th/early 20th century, what stopped the Ethiopians before that?

Justifying colonialism

:westbrookwtf:

Apollo

VIP
Gotta give props to the white man for screwing over colored people all over the world with these fake ass border.

Sunni, Shia, Arabs, Assyrians, Kurds who gives a damn.... here's Iraq and Syria es. Peace out.

@Bahal

The Ethiopian Empire existed only in the Amhara heartlands before their acquisition of modern firearms allowed them to rapidly expand into lands and people never directly under xabashi control like the oromo,gurage,sidoma and others. These were all ethnic groups like Somalis that were still using spears and shields made of animal hide. I think you understand the difference between conquering people with the same level of weapons as you as opposed to you having a greater advantage thanks to the import of modern weapons.

@AbdiJohnson

They were fighting oromos who had spears like them not to mention those oromos living there were weakened from a disease outbreak.

Apollo

VIP
I thought the Somalis were expanding past the Tana River and the British had to push them back.

One millennium too late for an ethnic expansion. Densely populated Bantu areas already established to the south of Tana.

Johnny-come-lately should have expanded around 1000 CE.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
@Bahal

The Ethiopian Empire existed only in the Amhara heartlands before their acquisition of modern firearms allowed them to rapidly expand into lands and people never directly under xabashi control like the oromo,gurage,sidoma and others. These were all ethnic groups like Somalis that were still using spears and shields made of animal hide. I think you understand the difference between conquering people with the same level of weapons as you as opposed to you having a greater advantage thanks to the import of modern weapons.

Their encroachment on Somali land was of course aided by their access to firearms but their access was the direct result of European policy which allowed them to import arms and denied the Somalis a similar opportunity.

Unlike the Oromos and others, Somalis eventually gained access to the very same firearms and were in conflict with heavily armed colonial troops, let alone Ethiopians, regularly defeating them in pitched battles until the infamous bombardment of Taleex.

Britian was actually obsessed with disarming frontier clans like the Marehan and Ogaden. Somalis expanded South and crossed the Jubba only by the late 19th century, displacing the Oromos and other groups and going as far as settling modern NFD until Britian once again intervened and set up a "Somali line" where Somali expansion was finally halted. There was a qoute by a colonial official that had they shown up a few decades later, the Somalis would've displaced the peaceful Bantu tribes of modern Kenya and would've settled up to the foot of Mt. Kenya.

Our biggest problem then and now was our inability to unite.

Last edited:

AceofSom

nx]\\0-9

That's not true, it was only after Menelik II, that the Oromo and Sidamo where adsorbed into Abyssinian. At the time Ethiopia didn't exist as an Entity. Only after Colonization did Abyssinia under Menelik expanded into southern Areas.

Their encroachment on Somali land was of course aided by their access to firearms but their access was the direct result of European policy which allowed them to import arms and denied the Somalis a similar opportunity.

Unlike the Oromos and others, Somalis eventually gained access to the very same firearms and were in conflict with heavily armed colonial troops, let alone Ethiopians, regularly defeating them in pitched battles until the infamous bombardment of Taleex.

Britian was actually obsessed with disarming frontier clans like the Marehan and Ogaden. Somalis expanded South and crossed the Jubba only by the late 19th century, displacing the Oromos and other groups and going as far as settling modern NFD until Britian once again intervened and set up a "Somali line" where Somali expansion was finally halted. There was a qoute by a colonial official that had they shown up a few decades later, the Somalis would've displaced the peaceful Bantu tribes of modern Kenya and would've settled up to the foot of Mt. Kenya.

Our biggest problem then and now was our inability to unite.

That's what I'm trying to say, without everyone uniting we wouldn't have stood a chance. Clan rivalries would have be used against each clan. Not to mention individual clans wouldn't have the manpower to counter their larger population.

Al Dhoobe

Dr. Dhoobe
Quite the opposite. Africans feared us to death and booty clapped for the white man. We would've conquered half way through africa by now had not white ppl arrived.
2016-04-16 01.05.38.png

Last edited:
Actually, u are all wrong. Historically speaking, Ethiopia always had a longer history than Somalis.

They were even mentioned in the bible and the first human being was from there.

You can have all the superiority complex you want but if you can't even unite at the most crucial moments such as today then what's the point? Yeah we Somalis are strong we are superior people with pointy noses and soft hindy hair, we could've conquered the world if given the chance blablablabla here is a quote from the white man praising me a hundred years ago but currently we are getting fucked in the ass by Ethiopia while Bantus from the jungle provide us security in our land. You know what never mind, I forget I was speaking to a bunch of delusional people with inflated egos.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.