Territorial area Somalia marine water dispute with kenya, awarded 100% to Somalia.

AdoonkaAlle

Ragna qowl baa xira, dumarna meher baa xira.
This post says Kenya got 25%

That's correct but this is within the EEZ (exclusive economic zone) which ranges from 12nm up to 200nm, as for the territorial sea from coast line up to 12nm somalia retains 100 %. The adjusted line is from 12nm-200nm it doesn't begin from the coast line. Kenya was basically claiming waters from the territorial sea and even beyond the EEZ.

I'm of the opinion that this entire debacle is a loss to somalia for the simple fact that a significant portion of our waters was given to kenya who didn't even bother participating in the court hearings and in fact continue to reject the courts ruling.

Kenya had no legal standing to be awarded anything yet despite this they've been allocated a portion of the eez.

That's correct but this is within the EEZ (exclusive economic zone) which ranges from 12nm up to 200nm, as for the territorial sea from coast line up to 12nm somalia retains 100 %. The adjusted line is from 12nm-200nm it doesn't begin from the coast line. Kenya was basically claiming waters from the territorial sea and even beyond the EEZ.

I'm of the opinion that this entire debacle is a loss to somalia for the simple fact that a significant portion of our waters was given to kenya who didn't even bother participating in the court hearings and in fact continue to reject the courts ruling.

Kenya had no legal standing to be awarded anything yet despite this they've been allocated a portion of the eez.
Agree with you mate. I told other formers that this was a Loss and they claimed I'm an enemy of Somalia because I'm a Somalilander. Kenya should not have got any of the water, let alone 25%

We got 100% of our territorial waters ( 12 nm ) ,
75% Economic exclusive (12 -200 nm )
And 67% of continental shelf 350 nm .
No matter how you look at it the icj finnesed us to please "Total" and "ENI"

AdoonkaAlle

Ragna qowl baa xira, dumarna meher baa xira.
Agree with you mate. I told other formers that this was a Loss and they claimed I'm an enemy of Somalia because I'm a Somalilander. Kenya should not have got any of the water, let alone 25%

kkkk internal politics aside what's even more astonishing is the ease at which the somali government caved in and accepted to cede away that portion of the eez.

Yahya

2020 GRANDMASTER
VIP
I know the ICJ judgement was unfair to us, but the fact still remains that kenya being deeply indebted to china wanted to take all of the oil blocks and were thwarted in their efforts by the previous and current somali government. Now we have a massive coastline and a country filled with resources we can use to make us militarily and economically superior to all hostile neighbouring countries and kenya has no means of repaying china.

In fact if somalia was smart they would bribe china with promises of oil exploration in order to undermine kenya together since china will claim their ports once they default on their loans.

Trending

Latest posts