Teen Vogue calls out Zara for culturally appropriating a Somali baati

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
zara-00.jpg

Zara is battling yet another issue of cultural appropriation, as the affordable fashion brand has been accused of stealing the traditional baati style from Somali, calling it a Tie-Dye Maxi Dress, with no mention of cultural inspiration. Zara was called out on Instagram by Muna Juma, the Muslim Miss Universe contestant who made history when she refused to wear a bikini. She criticized the brand not so much for using the style, but for not mentioning anything about their cultural roots.

In the post, Muna writes, “@zara is trying to capitalize on our Somali traditional wear sheed/baati where’s the credit? For £39.99 you can get one for you, your Mama, & your Nana. Put some respect on it @zara.” Commenters have echoed her sentiments, writing, “Oh noo they didn't ” and “Are they kidding themselves .” One even chimed in, saying, “They’re basically running out of ideas .”

The company has yet to take any action in relation to this latest issue. The dress is still for sale on their site, and they have not issued a statement or commented on the look.

Zara is far from a stranger of issues of cultural appropriation. Only last month, they were called outfor a tie-front plaid skirt that looked all too similar to a lungi, a traditional South Asian garment. This is simply the latest in a long line of products that Zara has released without acknowledging the heritage or cultural significance of the styles they sell.

zara-somali-dress.jpg

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/zara-cultural-appropriation-somali-baati

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
Now I've to see Becky Sue running around target in my baati. Cadaans are the worse wallahi.

Now that Becky will wear a baati outside this summer, will it make it acceptable for Halimo to do the same?

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
Now that Becky will wear a baati outside this summer, will it make it acceptable for Halimo to do the same?
What's next? Beckys will wear guuntino? Do henna? Oooops too late beckys are always in line in Karamel at the henna store. Damn them.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
If you're going to appropriate, at least do it with style. Ask Halimo Aden to do it. What if someone at Zara is Somali and was the brainchild behind it, would it be appropriation, then?:geek:

I saw some Somali appropriation in Black Panther. :mjlol: Those female warriors had Guntino fabric sewn into their garments. And I did not support this film by watching it. A mere Google search is all I needed to see.

Last edited:
zara-00.jpg

Zara is battling yet another issue of cultural appropriation, as the affordable fashion brand has been accused of stealing the traditional baati style from Somali, calling it a Tie-Dye Maxi Dress, with no mention of cultural inspiration. Zara was called out on Instagram by Muna Juma, the Muslim Miss Universe contestant who made history when she refused to wear a bikini. She criticized the brand not so much for using the style, but for not mentioning anything about their cultural roots.

In the post, Muna writes, “@zara is trying to capitalize on our Somali traditional wear sheed/baati where’s the credit? For £39.99 you can get one for you, your Mama, & your Nana. Put some respect on it @zara.” Commenters have echoed her sentiments, writing, “Oh noo they didn't ” and “Are they kidding themselves .” One even chimed in, saying, “They’re basically running out of ideas .”

The company has yet to take any action in relation to this latest issue. The dress is still for sale on their site, and they have not issued a statement or commented on the look.

Zara is far from a stranger of issues of cultural appropriation. Only last month, they were called outfor a tie-front plaid skirt that looked all too similar to a lungi, a traditional South Asian garment. This is simply the latest in a long line of products that Zara has released without acknowledging the heritage or cultural significance of the styles they sell.

zara-somali-dress.jpg

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/zara-cultural-appropriation-somali-baati
:vqbuyv0: That Madow looks horible in a baati

Ramesses II

kingofpunt
If you're going to appropriate, at least do it with style. Ask Halimo Aden to do it. What if someone at Zara is Somali and was the brainchild behind it, would it be appropriation, then?:geek:

I saw some Somali appropriation in Black Panther. :mjlol: Those female warriors had Guntino fabric sewn into their garments. And I did not support this film by watching it. A mere Google search is all I needed to see.

63C39D8F-9970-49DF-8736-E64C243F90D1.jpeg

:ohhh:

When you wear a suit, or a white wedding dress does that make it cultural appropriation. :cosbyhmm:

We need to stop identity politics, all humans should enjoy cultural clothing and hairstyles of any country regardless of skin color . I still don't see the problem with 'cultural appropriation'.:lawd:

If you segregate your clothing and hairstyle to your people only, then you'll miss out on the world enjoying it and putting their own twist on it. We can share and exchange clothing, hairstyles, food, and ideas; that's what makes the world beautiful.

When you wear a suit, or a white wedding dress does that make it cultural appropriation. :cosbyhmm:

We need to stop identity politics, all humans should enjoy cultural clothing and hairstyles of any country regardless of skin color . I still don't see the problem with 'cultural appropriation'.:lawd:

If you segregate your clothing and hairstyle to your people only, then you'll miss out on the world enjoying it and putting their own twist on it. We can share and exchange clothing, hairstyles, food, and ideas; that's what makes the world beautiful.

This type of talk in a system of white supremacy only serves white people. They make all the money off of YOUR styles, they don’t get any social blowback for looking like YOU meanwhile you think wearing blue jeans is the same as the shit they’re doing to you.

Trending