Tawaasul/intercession in Sunni Islam

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Fiidmeer @Boqor Quark Boqor Cisman @Ferrari @Poets
I ask you to please post sources from the Qur’aan hadith and our scholars about the impermissiblilty of tawassul to the dead and the living please begin and i will respond

You used the name tawassul in the thread title, so my first question before I bring the verses, hadiths and the sayings of the scholars is the following: What is the definition of Tawassul? And how is that different from Istighathah? I do not want you, or myself, to mix them up. Just to make sure we're on the same page: give your definition and if possible, back it up with sources.

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
Sura Baqara, 186:
And when My servants ask you, [O Muhammad], concerning Me - indeed I am near. I respond to the invocation of the supplicant when he calls upon Me. So let them respond to Me [by obedience] and believe in Me that they may be [rightly] guided.

Shaolin23

Seeker of knowledge and truth
Give us an example of what would be said. Ex
Umar ibn al Khattab raximullah said "O Allah! We would use our Prophet as a means to You and You then sent us rain; now we use our Prophet's uncle as a means to You, therefore send us rain!"

Narrated from Anas by al-Bukhari in his Sahih

Something like that brother

Karim

I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
HALYEEY
VIP
Why do you need a tawassul when you can directly beg Allah?!! You can obviously request a living person (Someone who's a devoted Muslim) to intercede and beg for forgiveness on behalf of you.

"O Allah, please forgive the OP, guide him to the straight path, forgive all of his sins Ya Allah. Amen!".

Umar ibn al Khattab raximullah said "O Allah! We would use our Prophet as a means to You and You then sent us rain; now we use our Prophet's uncle as a means to You, therefore send us rain!"

Narrated from Anas by al-Bukhari in his Sahih

Something like that brother
So why did they stop using Prophet(SAW) name when he's far more righteous than Abbas(RA).

Ibn `Awn narrated that `Umar took al-`Abbas's hand and raised it up, saying, 'O Allah, we seek a means to You with the uncle of Your Prophet to ask that You drive away from us the drought and water us with rain'...."

Shaolin23

You used the name tawassul in the thread title, so my first question before I bring the verses, hadiths and the sayings of the scholars is the following: What is the definition of Tawassul? And how is that different from Istighathah? I do not want you, or myself, to mix them up. Just to make sure we're on the same page: give your definition and if possible, back it up with sources.
Istighatha means to ask for help tawassul means to drawing yourself closer to Allah

Shaolin23

So why did they stop using Prophet(SAW) name when he's far more righteous than Abbas(RA).

Ibn `Awn narrated that `Umar took al-`Abbas's hand and raised it up, saying, 'O Allah, we seek a means to You with the uncle of Your Prophet to ask that You drive away from us the drought and water us with rain'...."
Among the many proofs of its permissibility is the Hadith of Uthman ibn Hunayf (Allah be pleased with him) in which the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) advised a man complaining of blindness to offer two Rak’ats prayer and then supplicate saying, “O Allah, I ask you and turn to you through my Prophet Muhammad, the Prophet of Mercy…” (Tirmidhi). The same Uthman ibn Hunayf, after the passing of the Prophet (peace be upon him), advised a person who visited him repeatedly, concerning something he needed, to do the same. (Al-Mu’jam al-Kabir of Tabarani and classed as authentic (sahih) by al-Bayhaqi, Mundhiri, al-Haythami and others).

http://www.ilmgate.org/various-forms-of-tawassul-istighatha-and-their-rulings/

Cigaal

يا نبي سلام عليك
Tawassul has been accepted by the vast majority of scholars. Ibn taymiyya and his followers were the ones who disagreed with it.

Cigaal

يا نبي سلام عليك
Imaam Hasan ibn Ibrahim al-Hallal [ra] has stated that whenever he had any urgent need, he would go to the grave of Imaam Moosa ibn Ja'far [ra] and make Tawassul through him. Allah Ta'ala would fulfil his need. (refer Taarikh Baghdaad)

2Imaam Shaafi'ee [ra] would make Tawassul at the grave of Imaam Abu Hanifa [ra]. (Taarikh Baghdaad). Allaamah al-Kawthari has classified this incident as authentic. (Maqaalaatul Kawthari pg.381)

3Allaamah Taajuddeen al-Subki [ra] has mentioned that the people would go to the grave of Imaam ibn Foorak(ra), the teacher of Imaam Bayhaqi [ra] and make Du'aa and their Du'aas would get accepted.

4Hafiz Al-Zarkashi [ra] has made Tawassul in the introduction to his commentary to Sahih al-Bukhari entitled, 'al-Tanqeeh'.

5Hafiz Taqi-u-ddin al-Subki [ra], the father of Taajuddin al-Subki [ra], has approved of this firm of Tawassul and he has written a detailed treatise on this topic. (See his book: Shifaa-u-Siqaam pgs.293-318)

6Allamah Nawawi [ra] has mentioned that from among the etiquettes of visiting the grave of Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasallam] one should make Tawassul through Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasallam] to Allah Ta'ala to accept his Du'aas. Thereafter, Allamah Nawawi states, '...and one of the best things that one should do is what has been related by Allaamah al-Mawardi [ra], al-Qaadhi Abu Teeb [ra] and all our Ulama and they have all regarded it as commendable, and that is the incident of Imaam al-Utabi [ra] that he said, 'I was once seated by the grave of Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasallam], when a Bedouin came and said, 'Peace be upon you, oh, Messenger of Allah. O Messenger of Allah, I have heard Almighty Allah say in the Qur'aan "And if they, when they had been unjust to themselves, had come to you (Muhammad Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) and begged Allah's forgiveness and the messenger had begged forgiveness for them, indeed they would have found Allah All-Forgiving. Most merciful.(Al-Nisaa:64) hence, I have come to you in a state that I seek forgiveness of my sins by seeking your intercession by my Lord', thereafter he recited a few couplets and departed. Imaam al-Utabi [ra] states, 'I then fell asleep and I saw Rasulullah [sallallahu alayhi wasallam] instructing me by the words, 'O Utabi, go to that Bedouin and give him the glad tidings that Almighty Allah has forgiven him.' (Refer al-Majmoo vol.8 pg.456 - Cairo and Manaasikul-Imaam-Al-Nawawi pg.498-499 Maktabah Salafia). This incident has been related by many Ulama in their respective compilations. Some of them are: Haafiz Ibn-Katheer in his Tafseer, Allamah Abu-Muhammad ibn Qudaamah in Al-Mughni vol.3 pg.556, Imaam Abul-Faraj in Al-Sharhul-Kabeervol.3 pg.495, etc.)

7Imaam Ahmad bin Hambal(RA) has also encouraged making Tawassul through Rasulullah [sallallahu alayhi wasallam] in ones duas. (Fataawa ibn Taimiyyah vol.1 pg.140, Also see Mafaaheem pg.137)

8Haafiz Shamsud-Deen Al-Sakhawi (RA), the grand student of Haafiz ibn Hajr Al-Asqalaani(RA) made Tawassul on many occasions through Rasulullah [Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam] in his books, see for example Al-Tuhfatul-Lateefah vol.1 pg.3, 17; al-Ibtihaaj bi azkaaril musaafiril haaj

9Allamah Muhammad ibn-ul-Jazri(RA) the famous Muhaddith and Master of Qira'aat has mentioned that from amongst the Aadaab etiquettes of dua is that one makes Tawassul with the Ambiyaa and the pious ones.(Al-Hisnul Haseen)

10Imaam Al-Shawkaani Al-Salafi(RA) has also permitted Tawassul. (Tuhfatu-Zaakireen pg.50)

Cigaal

يا نبي سلام عليك
Imam Malik was asked the following question by the Caliph Abu Ja`far al-Mansur:

"Shall I face the Qibla with my back towards the grave of the Messenger of Allah when making du`a (after salams)?"

He replied:

How could you turn your face away from him when he is the means (wasila) of your and your father Adam's forgiveness to Allah on the Day of Resurrection? Nay, face him and ask for his intercession (istashfi` bihi) so that Allah will grant it to you as He said: "If they had only, when they were wronging themselves, come unto thee and asked Allah's forgiveness, and the Messenger had asked forgiveness for them, they would have found Allah indeed Oft-returning, Most Merciful (4:64)."

Cited by al-Qadi `Iyad in al-Shifa (2:92-93) with a sound (sahih) chain, and also cited by Samhudi in Khulasat al-Wafa, Subki in Shifa' al-siqam, Qastallani in al-Mawahib al-laduniyya, Ibn Jama`a in Hidayat al-salik, and Haytami in al-Jawhar al-munazzam and Tuhfat al-zuwwar. See also Ibn `Abd al-Hadi in al-Sarim al-munki p. 244.

IMAM AHMAD ON TAWASSUL

Ahmad Recommended Tawasssul in Every Du`a

Abu Bakr al-Marwazi narrated in his Mansak that Imam Ahmad preferred for one to make tawassul through the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) in every supplication with the wording,

“O Allah! I am turning to You with Your Prophet, the Prophet of mercy. O Muhammad! I am turning with you to my Lord for the fulfillment of my need.”

The report is mentioned in the books of te Hanbali madhhab as it bears on the adab of du`a as a fiqh issue.(1)

Ibn Taymiyya cites the Hanbali fatwa on the desirability of tawassul in every du`a in his Qa'ida fil-Tawassul wal-Wasila where he attributes it to “Imam Ahmad and a group of the Salaf” from Mansak al-Marwazi as his source – and in his Radd `ala al-Akhna`i where he cites the text of the du`a in full, similar to the du`a of the blind man in al-Tirmidhi and elsewhere and with the wording Ya Muhammad. The practice of tawassul is also related from Imam al-Shafi`i and Imam Malik.(2)

[Notes:]

(1) Cf. Ibn Muflih's Furu` (1:595=2:204); al-Mardawi's Insaf (2:456); Ibn `Aqil's Tadhkira; al-Buhuti, Kashshaf al-Qina` (2:68); Shams al-Din ibn Mulih, al-Furu` (2:159), al-Hajjaqi, al-Iqna` (1:208).
(2) ...Ibn Taymiyya, Qa`ida fil-Tawassul wal-Wasila (p. 98 and 155) and al-Radd `ala al-Akhna`i (p. 168

Imaam Hasan ibn Ibrahim al-Hallal [ra] has stated that whenever he had any urgent need, he would go to the grave of Imaam Moosa ibn Ja'far [ra] and make Tawassul through him. Allah Ta'ala would fulfil his need. (refer Taarikh Baghdaad)

2Imaam Shaafi'ee [ra] would make Tawassul at the grave of Imaam Abu Hanifa [ra]. (Taarikh Baghdaad). Allaamah al-Kawthari has classified this incident as authentic. (Maqaalaatul Kawthari pg.381)

3Allaamah Taajuddeen al-Subki [ra] has mentioned that the people would go to the grave of Imaam ibn Foorak(ra), the teacher of Imaam Bayhaqi [ra] and make Du'aa and their Du'aas would get accepted.

4Hafiz Al-Zarkashi [ra] has made Tawassul in the introduction to his commentary to Sahih al-Bukhari entitled, 'al-Tanqeeh'.

5Hafiz Taqi-u-ddin al-Subki [ra], the father of Taajuddin al-Subki [ra], has approved of this firm of Tawassul and he has written a detailed treatise on this topic. (See his book: Shifaa-u-Siqaam pgs.293-318)

6Allamah Nawawi [ra] has mentioned that from among the etiquettes of visiting the grave of Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasallam] one should make Tawassul through Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasallam] to Allah Ta'ala to accept his Du'aas. Thereafter, Allamah Nawawi states, '...and one of the best things that one should do is what has been related by Allaamah al-Mawardi [ra], al-Qaadhi Abu Teeb [ra] and all our Ulama and they have all regarded it as commendable, and that is the incident of Imaam al-Utabi [ra] that he said, 'I was once seated by the grave of Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasallam], when a Bedouin came and said, 'Peace be upon you, oh, Messenger of Allah. O Messenger of Allah, I have heard Almighty Allah say in the Qur'aan "And if they, when they had been unjust to themselves, had come to you (Muhammad Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) and begged Allah's forgiveness and the messenger had begged forgiveness for them, indeed they would have found Allah All-Forgiving. Most merciful.(Al-Nisaa:64) hence, I have come to you in a state that I seek forgiveness of my sins by seeking your intercession by my Lord', thereafter he recited a few couplets and departed. Imaam al-Utabi [ra] states, 'I then fell asleep and I saw Rasulullah [sallallahu alayhi wasallam] instructing me by the words, 'O Utabi, go to that Bedouin and give him the glad tidings that Almighty Allah has forgiven him.' (Refer al-Majmoo vol.8 pg.456 - Cairo and Manaasikul-Imaam-Al-Nawawi pg.498-499 Maktabah Salafia). This incident has been related by many Ulama in their respective compilations. Some of them are: Haafiz Ibn-Katheer in his Tafseer, Allamah Abu-Muhammad ibn Qudaamah in Al-Mughni vol.3 pg.556, Imaam Abul-Faraj in Al-Sharhul-Kabeervol.3 pg.495, etc.)

7Imaam Ahmad bin Hambal(RA) has also encouraged making Tawassul through Rasulullah [sallallahu alayhi wasallam] in ones duas. (Fataawa ibn Taimiyyah vol.1 pg.140, Also see Mafaaheem pg.137)

8Haafiz Shamsud-Deen Al-Sakhawi (RA), the grand student of Haafiz ibn Hajr Al-Asqalaani(RA) made Tawassul on many occasions through Rasulullah [Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam] in his books, see for example Al-Tuhfatul-Lateefah vol.1 pg.3, 17; al-Ibtihaaj bi azkaaril musaafiril haaj

9Allamah Muhammad ibn-ul-Jazri(RA) the famous Muhaddith and Master of Qira'aat has mentioned that from amongst the Aadaab etiquettes of dua is that one makes Tawassul with the Ambiyaa and the pious ones.(Al-Hisnul Haseen)

10Imaam Al-Shawkaani Al-Salafi(RA) has also permitted Tawassul. (Tuhfatu-Zaakireen pg.50)
Sxb I get you when you say through someones deeds you can ask Allah because in the end you're asking him alone. But what the sufis do is different. They and the shi'a call dead people to help which is shirk.

Cigaal

يا نبي سلام عليك
Sxb I get you when you say through someones deeds you can ask Allah because in the end you're asking him alone. But what the sufis do is different. They and the shi'a call dead people to help which is shirk.
The vast majority of sufis don’t do it. If they do then theyre not real sufis as a sufi must adhere to the sharia.

The vast majority of sufis don’t do it. If they do then theyre not real sufis as a sufi must adhere to the sharia.
I know because the present sufis aren't the same as the ones in the past. There was a time when sufism was one of the most popular and they were regarded as sunni.

Cigaal

يا نبي سلام عليك
I know because the present sufis aren't the same as the ones in the past. There was a time when sufism was one of the most popular and they were regarded as sunni.
Nope not true. Heretical sufis have always existed. It’s no different today. That why one should follow a established sufi order that goes back to the prophet.

World

VIP
Idk somali sufis seem a bit extreme like when some somali traders passed the grave of a sheikh, they done this:

7FA177E7-7FA5-4FF0-B647-60EF61C4EFF9.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending