Votes: 7 10.3%
  • I do not understand my language at all

Votes: 4 5.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leila

Wanaag iyo Dhiig kar
I’m glad my parents forced us to speak Somali at home, now I can talk to my relatives without embarrassing myself :liberaltears:

How are you comparing culture to ignorance and misinformation? Politics is not directly tied to culture sxb. People with no educational background tend to chose bad leaders.

Why is it you lot skipping out on clans that i keep mentioning ? and nit picking the other stuff, what is our culture driven by ? It's mostly clan politics and how is the government run it's through clans, it is not brain surgery culture is driven by clan politics so is our governing system it is all intertwined, people keep saying seperate them you can't since Somalis put them all together and turned it into a nightmarish archaic and chaotic three headed hydra.

I'm sorry but for the most part what's keeping our people ignorant and misinformed is our culture, and if you don't see that you have to be blind as a bat.

I can understand conversations and most news broadcasts, but I struggle with qoraal and poetry. My speech is comprehensible and not bad at all for somebody whose never been to dhalka.

My somali is as good as my parents and I've never visited the motherland, not even once.

If yours sucks, blame your hooyo and aabo.

Why is it you lot skipping out on clans that i keep mentioning ? and nit picking the other stuff, what is our culture driven by ? It's mostly clan politics and how is the government run it's through clans, it is not brain surgery culture is driven by clan politics so is our governing system it is all intertwined, people keep saying seperate them you can't since Somalis put them all together and turned it into a nightmarish archaic and chaotic three headed hydra.

I'm sorry but for the most part what's keeping our people ignorant and misinformed is our culture, and if you don't see that you have to be blind as a bat.
I am for change in culture and abolishment of any clan affiliation in politics. But im not weak that i give up on my people, that's the difference between us. So you don't need to bother at all, while i want to focus on what to change and how to change it.

I myself have never been brought up knowing about clans, so stop saying everything about our culture is clan based.

I never said our culture was any good. Actually, i have raised my concerns on how it is keeping us down, but i chose to look into it, while you chose to throw it away completely. You can only change the culture if you are part of it. And the culture needs to be changed through education and such. Somalis are not defined by clan alone. Arabs lived like that in the past, but they've changed. So why can't we also?

People always become more ignorant and primitive through war and poverty. If you elevate peoples standard of living the people tend to give up things like clan. People use the clan system to find some sort of safety net, if you give them better alternatives based on meritocracy, they will without doubt give it up.

You're either with the program, or you're not. Take it or leave it.

Last edited:
I am for change in culture and abolishment of any clan affiliation in politics. But im not weak that i give up on my people, that's the difference between us. So you don't need to bother at all, while i want to focus on what to change and how to change it.

I myself have never been brought up knowing about clans, so stop saying everything about our culture is clan based.

I never said our culture was any good. Actually, i have raised my concerns on how it is keeping us down, but i chose to look into it, while you chose to throw it away completely. You can only change the culture if you are part of it. And the culture needs to be changed through education and such. Somalis are not defined by clan alone. Arabs lived like that in the past, but they've changed. So why can't we also?

People always become more ignorant and primitive through war and poverty. If you elevate peoples standard of living the people tend to give up things like clan. People use the clan system to find some sort of safety net, if you give them better alternatives based on meritocracy, they will without doubt give it up.

You're either with the program, or you're not. Take it or leave it.

It's like people have reading comprehension problems on here, never have i said everything about our culture is about clan, and i have never said i want to completely throw away every aspect of our culture, and about being weak you sound naive a 'Idealist' tell that to the many people that went there from the diaspora who had good intentions and ideas, only to end up death or driven away totally, what you think your the only one who has/had your mindset there's been too many to count, and there will be many who will have that mindset after we are long gone that's if that forsaken place even exists after we are long gone.

The way i see it the way things are going down there and it's getting worse not better the trajectory they are on, place will cease to exist in a hundred years or so, and i'm not going to waste my time my one life on a fools errand, but good luck though on your ideas and endeavours, I'm done with this topic.

Kratos

Sonder
I used to think that my Somali was really good until I went to Somalia a couple of years ago. The biggest problem for me was how fast everyone speaks, the different accents and regional slang. I got too used to the way my parents speak

It's like people have reading comprehension problems on here, never have i said everything about our culture is about clan, and i have never said i want to completely throw away every aspect of our culture, and about being weak you sound naive a 'Idealist' tell that to the many people that went there from the diaspora who had good intentions and ideas, only to end up death or driven away totally, what you think your the only one who has/had your mindset there's been too many to count, and there will be many who will have that mindset after we are long gone that's if that forsaken place even exists after we are long gone.

The way i see it the way things are going down there and it's getting worse not better the trajectory they are on, place will cease to exist in a hundred years or so, and i'm not going to waste my time my one life on a fools errand, but good luck though on your ideas and endeavours, I'm done with this topic.

"What's the point of learning our culture ? when it's toxic and rotten to the bone, whole country is going to hell in a hand basket."

"don't confuse the language for the culture, I'm strictly talking about the culture"

"I've totally lost any semblance of hope in Somalida and Somalia as a whole."

You say you know everything about our culture isn't about clan, and everything ain't all that bad, but it is bad enough to completely discard it. Me being optimistic is a naive idealist thing to you.
You're right. You don't need to explain further.:kodaksmiley:

Last edited:
Please answer truthfully.
I wouldnt say my Somali is perfect it needs a lot of improvement but i certainly understand Somali very well and can hold a convo with elders without coming across as a hooyo ma taalo kid
Also I've never been to amisomland or puntland or any region in horn of the dark continent for that matter yet I know so much about it through my parents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending