Sufi hadra according to the Shafi’i school

The ruling on an issue derives from its conceptualization. Whatever has been decisively proven as impermissible is not permitted, and whatever has been decisively proven as permissible is permitted. If the hadra contains something impermissible, like the free-mixing of marriageable men and women in way that is conducive to temptation or unrestrained looking at the unlawful, then attending it is forbidden. Similarly, if (the hadra) includes the playing of musical instruments like the kubah (a drum that is wide at each end and narrow in the middle), mizmar (a wood wind instrument similar to the flute), lute (Ar. ‘ud), and similar musical instruments, then attending it is forbidden. As for the duff (a shallow drum, like a tambourine but without the metal jingles) and drum that is wide at both ends and the middle, they are permissible in our school for men and women, during weddings and at other times. If the hadra is free from forbidden elements and combines the remembrance of Allah Most High, praising Him as He deserves, and lauding the Prophet (Allah bless him and grant him peace), then all of this is fundamentally recommended in Islamic law according to the consensus of Muslims, as is clear.

If movement is added to this, as some Sufis do, there is no harm in it, because dancing is permissible for men and women in our school as long it doesn’t contain effeminate or licentious movements as wicked and shameless people do. Otherwise, (if it contains such prohibited movements), it is forbidden. Imam Ibn Hajar Al-Haytami, the last muharrir; imam of our school, was asked about Sufis dancing during their ecstasy and he upheld their practice. In part, he says, “it is permissible to stand and dance during gatherings of remembrance (of Allah) and audition according to a group of great scholars, among them being Shaykh Al-Islam Ibn Abdussalam.” (Fatawa Hadithiyya, p. 298)

Al-Jalal As-Suyuti, the imam and hadith master, was asked about the Sufi dance: is it permissible to repudiate those who do it? He replied that it was not permissible to repudiate them and that the one who repudiates is mistaken. He narrated this from a group of scholars (al-Hawi li’l-Fatawi).

Muzaffer

𝕮𝖔𝖒𝖗𝖆𝖉𝖊 𝕲𝖊𝖓𝖊𝖗𝖆𝖑
giphy.gif

"Imam al-‘Izz ibn ‘Abd as-Salaam, the great Shaafa‘i faqeeh and scholar of usool (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

With regard to dancing and clapping, it is frivolity and silliness like that of females; no one does such things except one who is a show-off or a liar. How could anyone regard it as justifiable to dance to the rhythm of the music and become oblivious when the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said, “The best generations are my generation, then those who come after them, then those who come after them,” and no one among those exemplary generations did such things? It cannot be imagined that one who fears Allah and understands anything of what it means to venerate Him would dance or clap. Clapping and dancing only come from one who is foolish and ignorant; they do not come from anyone who is wise and virtuous."

Why can't we do dhikr and Salutations the way the Prophet peace be upon him taught us? Why I gotta be with sweaty people dancing and chanting? Where is the wisdom in this?

Removed

Gif-King
VIP
"Imam al-‘Izz ibn ‘Abd as-Salaam, the great Shaafa‘i faqeeh and scholar of usool (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

With regard to dancing and clapping, it is frivolity and silliness like that of females; no one does such things except one who is a show-off or a liar. How could anyone regard it as justifiable to dance to the rhythm of the music and become oblivious when the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said, “The best generations are my generation, then those who come after them, then those who come after them,” and no one among those exemplary generations did such things? It cannot be imagined that one who fears Allah and understands anything of what it means to venerate Him would dance or clap. Clapping and dancing only come from one who is foolish and ignorant; they do not come from anyone who is wise and virtuous."

Why can't we do dhikr and Salutations the way the Prophet peace be upon him taught us? Why I gotta be with sweaty people dancing and chanting? Where is the wisdom in this?
The question isnt if the prophet did this but if its permissible. I would imagine it would be biddah if you intend that that ritual you invented brings you closer to Allah as for dancing or even music in this context im not sure if thats haram on its own.

I
The question isnt if the prophet did this but if its permissible. I would imagine it would be biddah if you intend that that ritual you invented brings you closer to Allah as for dancing or even music in this context im not sure if thats haram on its own.
On the authority of the mother of the faithful, 'Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her), who said: The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said:

He who innovates something in this matter of ours [Islam] that is not of it will have it rejected [by Allah].

[Bukhari & Muslim]

In one version by Muslim it reads:

He who does an act which we have not commanded, will have it rejected [by Allah].

I rather be safe than sorry.
:manny: