Somalispot historians was Araweelo real?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muji

VIP
@Factz @Apollo @Crow

I want to learn more about feminism in Somali culture but I can’t seem to find any books about any icons

I’d like to find out if female empowerment in Somali history differs from the Western model. So far what I know about Araweelo is that she believed women should lead because she believed them to be the true peace keepers whereas Western women feminism is focused in achieving equality with men in terms of roles...

Did this woman even exist?
Do you guys believe There aren’t enough books published because Somali society is oral and if we had a script prior the 70s we may have had more books and are historians would be taken more seriously?

Thanks you.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
Arawelo is a mythical figure in the Somali culture. They call it the bed time story for a reason.

It's a fiction story to entertain their kids and to uplift Somali women.

I hope you got the answer you were looking for.

Muji

VIP
Arawelo is a mythical figure in the Somali culture. They call it the bed time story for a reason.

It's a fiction story to entertain their kids and to uplift Somali women.

I hope you got the answer you were looking for.

I don’t know factz it’s not too far fetched that a woman once led Somalia

Why has this myth persisted for so long?

Anyway do you know any other Somali woman empowerment figures ?

I think the myth was started by lazy somali men. They want to spread the concept of the strong independent somali women so they can go out to the woods with their camels and chew jaad with the other guys all day. Meanwhile the strong independent arweelo incarnate is at home toiling. Get it?

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP

Faduma Sarjelle was a powerful princess in Ajuran Kingdom.

Hasna Doreh was the wife of Mad Mullah and the commander of the Dervish State.

Hawo Tako was a prominent early 20th century Somali nationalist.

I'm sure there are many more Somali women who were Heros and done noble things but I forget a few.

Last edited:

Apollo

VIP
@Factz @Apollo @Crow

I want to learn more about feminism in Somali culture but I can’t seem to find any books about any icons

I’d like to find out if female empowerment in Somali history differs from the Western model. So far what I know about Araweelo is that she believed women should lead because she believed them to be the true peace keepers whereas Western women feminism is focused in achieving equality with men in terms of roles...

Do you guys believe There aren’t enough books published because Somali society is oral and if we had a script prior the 70s we may have had more books and are historians would be taken more seriously?

Thanks you.

Likely a mixture of truth and mythology. Perhaps a female ruler like that existed and then was turned into an exaggerated myth later on.

Faduma Sarjelle was a powerful princess in Ajuran Kingdom.

Hasna Doreh was the wife of Mad Mullah and the commander of the Dervish State.

Hawo Tako was a prominent early 20th century Somali nationalist.

I'm sure there are many more Somali women who were Heros and done noble things but I forget a few.
Bati Delombira
Hawo Tako

Hawa Tako was discusting traitor whose story was whitewashed by the italians to make her some sort of hero.

Common misconseptions:

Hawo Tako did protest but did so to bring back the italian rule after it had been previously defeated by the brits during world war 2.

She and her ITALIAN HUSBAND was killed during the Mogadishu riot upon clash between somali natiolists and those protesting on behalf of italian rule. The italians didn't kille her, Somali did.

After italians came back they made her a martyr and build her a statue to make it seem like they were honoring a freedom fighter when that was not the case at all.

She was Nothing but a loyal concubine and I'm glad her statue is gone :hillarybiz:

A_A

Islamic Fanfiction Writer
Hawa Tako was discusting traitor whose story was whitewashed by the italians to make her some sort of hero.

Common misconseptions:

Hawo Tako did protest but did so to bring back the italian rule after it had been previously defeated by the brits during world war 2.

She and her ITALIAN HUSBAND was killed during the Mogadishu riot upon clash between somali natiolists and those protesting on behalf of italian rule. The italians didn't kille her, Somali did.

After italians came back they made her a martyr and build her a statue to make it seem like they were honoring a freedom fighter when that was not the case at all.

She was Nothing but a loyal concubine and I'm glad her statue is gone :hillarybiz:
Sources warya or else bs

A_A

Islamic Fanfiction Writer
Likely a mixture of truth and mythology. Perhaps a female ruler like that existed and then was turned into an exaggerated myth later on.
I’ve heard she might have been based off Queen Gudit of Ethiopia.

Arawello shares many similarities with Furra of the sidama people and Gudit of the amhara. The amhara say that Gudit was a non christian female that killed their emeperor and destroyed the kingdom. She also burned many churches hence her name gudit(burn). Its possible that the active campaigner and military instigator Bati del wambara might've inspired these legends.
Heres a wiki:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arawelo

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
Araweelo is as real as our clan founders. In other words, she was almost certainly a real person whose story was just mythologized.

The only facts that I would take away from her story is that there was once a powerful female ruler who did something memorable.

I don't believe that she actually strung men up by their balls. It's more likely that she emasculated/humiliated a group of men by defeating them in battle or something. Maybe she stole the throne from her brother. There are many things that she could have done to earn the scorn of men.

Caraweelo

President of the Secular Republic of Somalia
I heard Araweelo had a grave in sanaag north Somalia. I think she existed but some stories about her could be exaggerated to add more drama to the story.

Ayaan hirsi ali is inspiring woman who wrote books and i watched her debate and she seems very intelligent person. I don't agree with some of her views but in general she is amazing.

Mama malyun is famous currently to defend somali women's rights.

Mostly a myth and fun story for the children. Much like the dhegdeer story which i like much better personally.

Last edited:

Reer-Bari

COMMANDER OF THE PUNTLAND DEFENCE TEAM
@Factz @Apollo @Crow

Thanks you.
actually they have the same story in the oromo and afar tribes. she was a cushitic character not somali because somali didnt exist back than

Reer-Bari

COMMANDER OF THE PUNTLAND DEFENCE TEAM
Mostly a myth and fun story for the children. Much like the dhegdeer story which i like much better personally.

However if such a cruel dictator ever existed then it's safe to say that like the rest she would have eventually ended up like this.

111021-gadhafi-hmed-345a-grid-6x2.jpg
Moderators take this picture down its not right. kadaffi is dead bro no need for this

Status
Not open for further replies.