Somalispot dictionary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molotoff

Supreme Bosniak Geeljire
VIP
I imagine this thread as being a dictionary where we can post commonly used words, terms and expressions on somalispot. For us that are not familiar with them, newcomers such as myself etc.

I'll start with a few:

Cadaan: non somali white person
Ajnabi: non somali, foreigner
Madow: Derogative term for sub Saharan black African

I imagine this thread as being a dictionary where we can post commonly used words, terms and expressions on somalispot. For us that are not familiar with them, newcomers such as myself etc.

I'll start with a few:

Cadaan: non somali white person
Ajnabi: non somali, foreigner
Madow: Derogative term for sub Saharan black African
The term "Madow" is not always derogative. It's a nickname meaning "Kinky hair"
There's a clan of Bantus living in southern Somalia calling themselves "Madowweyn" meaning "the greater Madows"
They wouldn't be referring to themselves as such if they saw it as a slur against them.

Molotoff

Supreme Bosniak Geeljire
VIP
There's a clan of Bantus living in southern Somalia calling themselves "Madowweyn" meaning "the greater Madows"
They wouldn't be referring to themselves as such if they saw it as a slur against them.

From reading the forum, it is clear that Somalis often use it in a derogative context.

White

Sippin tea in yo hood. PS IM A DUDE
weyn means big, Madowweyne = big bantu :chrisfreshhah:

Molotoff

Supreme Bosniak Geeljire
VIP
Also, how come people mostly write in English here? I am active on a couple of Bosniak forums and people there express themselves exclusively in Bosnian. Even the ones outside Bosnia.

Is knowledge of Somali among Somali youth in the Diaspora really that lacking?

Hybrid

Death Awaits You
It means nappy hair not kinky. There's good number of Somalis who have kinky hair.

It means nappy hair not kinky. There's good number of Somalis who have kinky hair.
Define kinky. 3c hair, like this, isn't kinky. It's classified as curly, but in Somali standards it's kinky
Featured-Image-Black-Girl-Long-Hair.png

Also, how come people mostly write in English here? I am active on a couple of Bosniak forums and people there express themselves exclusively in Bosnian. Even the ones outside Bosnia.

inta badan wa dhaqan celis iyo ma yaqaanaan luqadda

FendiFanatic

Freedom of Speech

Sax dadkani luuqada la mayaqano waaba reer hooyo mataalo

Hybrid

Death Awaits You
Define kinky. 3c hair, like this, isn't kinky. It's classified as curly, but in Somali standards it's kinky
View attachment 50997
Kinky hair are more coarser than 3-c hair. It looks like this
kinky-look.jpg

many Somalis especially guys have kinky hair.
timo Madow or jur'ro (in waqooye accent) means nappy hair.
Kinky hair means timo adag in Somali and like I said many Somalis do have timo adag

Last edited:

La Xawla

Long Live the Somali Republic

Yeah, from what I can gather. I assume most can read and write but don’t want to put in the effort which is sad. Some were never taught.

Most don’t know how to write in Somali because our writing system was created in the 70s.

Kinky hair are more coarser than 3-c hair. It looks like this
kinky-look.jpg

many Somalis especially guys have kinky hair.
timo Madow or jur'ro (in waqooye accent) means nappy hair.
Kinky hair means timo adag in Somali and like I said many Somalis do have timo adag
That's because they comb out their hair. That girl has her hair combed out as well, natural hair types can't look like that. You can tell the girl has naturally curly hair as well, by her pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.