Somalis that celebrate non-islamic holidays

As I grow up I went to an Islamic primary school in the Netherlands. We never celebrated someone's birthday (let alone Christmas). And it was total normal for me. I did not miss it because I never really knew what it was.

Then I went to high school and college and with the rise of social media (Myspace and others), I noticed certain people really celebrate this day.

As I became a young adult it was total normal for me to not celebrate or congratulate someone for his birthday.

In my world to congratulate someone there has to be something to be achieved. You just came one year closer to death and want me congratulate you for it. And what are they so happy about, they just didn't die for that year what is there to celebrate. If anything I should congratulate your mother for bringing you up al these years.

Anyway today I saw a full grown Somali women who is 30 celebrating her birthday and I was like what, stick to your culture abayo. I dont even congratulate my own siblings for their birthday.

How do you guys feel about celebrating birthdays?

I personally don’t celebrate them. I get celebrating kids birthday. But grownups doing it is just weird

Yea lol. I can understand people that do it for kids, because we are also part of the diaspora countries we are in.

But I am happy my parents didn't do it for me, and I wont do it for my children either

I celebrate my friends and siblings birthdays. And my family celebrates Thanksgiving and July 4th, which are not really religious holidays.

Yukon_Niner

Ugaas of the supreme gentleman
VIP
"stick to your culture" :mjlol:

Seems to confuse a religion created by Arabs for Somali culture.:mjlol:
Ah yes we were celebrating our birthdays during the 1200's before the evil Arabs took it away. Ducks in Somalia use to go WAAQ WAAQ before Arabs forced them to say QUACK QUACK, stupid Arabians:mad:

Latest posts