Somalis should be traveling more

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotMyL

"You are your best thing"
VIP
I noticed Somali people don’t travel much, and when they do travel they don’t go out of their comfort zone, they will go where they have families. @R.Kelly going to London and staying at uncles spare room is not traveling :childplease:

When I was in Bali last year, I even saw Ethiopian couple lol get your travel up guys.

Grigori Rasputin

Former Somali Minister of Mismanagement & Misinfo.
Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
I noticed Somali people don’t travel much, and when they do travel they don’t go out of their comfort zone, they will go where they have families. @R.Kelly going to London and staying at uncles spare room is not traveling :childplease:

When I was in Bali last year, I even saw Ethiopian couple lol get your travel up guys.

What’re you talking abt! I went to London for my child.

I’m going to Cuba in June

NotMyL

VIP
What’re you talking abt! I went to London for my child.

I’m going to Cuba in June
Lol I suppose that’s a good thing.

Cuba? Do let us know how that goes, it’s in my top 5 countries to visit. You still need visa to enter the country right?

NotMyL

VIP

:what1:
I want to travel but not alone. All my friends too poor to come with me...

See that’s what a lot of people think, traveling with a group of friends where you guys stay at Airbnb is cheap, the only thing you have to worry about is the airfare, and you fix that by being flexible and picking a nearby by countries. If you live in europe, it should be really easy to travel.

most can’t afford to travel. And even if they could potentionally, they won’t because of unnecessary restrictions they place on themselves. There’s this invisible line in the sand and no one knows who drew it but it’s an unspoken taboo

I’d love to travel, but currently I’m a broke third year undergraduate student drowning in paperwork. Anyone who wants to fund my future travels are more than welcome :mybusiness:

Aaegal

I have no proof, only whispers
I’d love to travel, but currently I’m a broke third year undergraduate student drowning in paperwork. Anyone who wants to fund my future travels are more than welcome :mybusiness:
You're like my friends :mjcry:they should've saved their dough like I did.

NotMyL

VIP
most can’t afford to travel. And even if they could potentionally, they won’t because of unnecessary restrictions they place on themselves. There’s this invisible line in the sand and no one knows who drew it but it’s an unspoken taboo
Is it really a taboo to travel in the Somali community? I have been fortunate enough where my family took us on family vacation every summer and when I grew up I started traveling with my sisters/girl friends and I now travel with my husband.

I really thought they don’t travel because they think it’s too expensive. I found my uncle 120 dollar flight the other day to Houston and he was shocked lol he told me he just drove there couple of times and never thought to fly because he assumed it was too expensive plus he didn’t want to deal with airports lol

Grigori Rasputin

Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
Lol I suppose that’s a good thing.

Cuba? Do let us know how that goes, it’s in my top 5 countries to visit. You still need visa to enter the country right?

My family members just got back from it.

We have the wrong perception. It’s as easy as going to Canada.

As you’re leaving take some Quran books with you and take photos of you giving it to the one mosque in Havana. Later if you’re questioned at customs tell them that you went there for religious outreach

Is it really a taboo to travel in the Somali community? I have been fortunate enough where my family took us on family vacation every summer and when I grew up I started traveling with my sisters/girl friends and I now travel with my husband.

I really thought they don’t travel because they think it’s too expensive. I found my uncle 120 dollar flight the other day to Houston and he was shocked lol he told me he just drove there couple of times and never thought to fly because he assumed it was too expensive plus he didn’t want to deal with airports lol

Definitely not taboo. I’ve got cousins working in Qatar and Italy and others studying in Malaysia, Romania and Japan. We are encouraged by our family to travel as much as possible and educate ourselves on how the world works and to educate ourselves by experiencing different cultures. It’s part of the Somali culture to be self-led, resourceful and independent, as it stems from our ancient nomadic culture. A Somali that stays in one place is seen as backward, uneducated or plain lazy.

Last edited:

Grigori Rasputin

Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
@TheShinning

Listen woman!

Tell your truck driving husband to travel

I’ve done traveled more than any of you here for the past 2 years.

I’ve shown evidence dammit

:salute:

I don’t know about taboo...just that there are some unspoken limits that people feel like they have to abide by lol

Do you work? Or you just go to school?
Currently I just go to uni. I work during summers and save up as much as I can; I only buy necessities and don’t indulge in luxuries. You have to be economically savvy sxb :mjohreally:

Besides my parents are not comfortable with me working whilst I study. I always get high grades and they are afraid that working might affect my grades.

NotMyL

VIP
Definitely not taboo. I’ve got cousins working in Qatar and Italy and others studying in Malaysia, Romania and Japan. It’s part of the Somali culture to be self-led, resourceful and independent, as it stems from our ancient nomadic culture. A Somali that stays in one place is seen as backward, uneducated or plain lazy.

This was my perception too, I really think most of them don’t travel because they think it’s expensive. Unless @SilverL is talking about girls traveling alone then I can see that being taboo.
@TheShinning

Listen woman!

Tell your truck driving husband to travel

I’ve done traveled more than any of you here for the past 2 years.

I’ve shown evidence dammit

:salute:
Lol waarya my husband is not a truck driver, not that there is anything wrong with being one, I heard they make really good money.

We take two big trips every year!

Guts

Bosaso iyo Bandar Siyada
VIP

I’m going to Alanya, Turkey in July with the fam. I’m really excited because i love Turkey and ofcourse mom is going to pay for it all :russ:
She even got me a seperate room :salute:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending