Somalis returning to the motherland are finding their foreign ways out of favour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
Be it women wearing trousers or men with earrings, there is growing antagonism from those who want to maintain a ‘pure’ culture

Hargeisa-009.jpg

Hargeisa, the capital of Somaliland, is transformed between June and September every year as Somalilanders arrive from Europe, north America, the Gulf and the rest of Africa. Traffic jams clog the rough roads, salons fill up, hipster beards and skinny jeans appear, hijabs slip and skirt hems rise. It’s an important boost to the local economy.

Recently, though, appreciation for the returnees has shown signs of ebbing away, and there are a growing number of complaints about the visitors: that London boys are selling drugs from their hire cars; that gangs from Copenhagen are fighting gangs from other countries; that girls from Toronto are teaching local girls to dress and behave improperly.

The nationalities of those blamed change regularly, but the persistent refrain is “those” people are bringing their “foreign” ways to a country that the year-round residents are trying to keep pure and authentically Somali. At night, checkpoints at regular distances throughout Hargeisa maintain surveillance on diaspora youths and enforce cultural norms. Somaliland’s financial dependence on remittances sent by those who work overseas adds a further layer of tension and mutual hostility.

“Diaspora” is an ancient word that applies to many Britons. I have always felt myself part of one; from lullabies and superstitions to baby names and funeral rites, there are times when my roots on another continent blossom in my everyday life. For most members of a diaspora, perhaps Jewish, Indian or Somali, the relationship to the “motherland” is a complex, demanding and sometimes maddening one. You are both of it and beyond it, an insider and an outsider simultaneously. Called upon yet often ignored.

The reaction of Hargeisa’s diaspora visitors to this new antagonism varies widely: some accept the status quo and absorb the prevailing attitudes as the correct ones; some diplomatically maintain one public face and another private one; others push the boundaries and insist on acting just as they would at home. Simple decisions such as whether to wear trousers can become for women a radical act; similarly for men with earrings. This constant navigation can be exhausting and can lead to another form of them and us. A semi-colonial relationship rears its head, in which the “white man’s burden” is replaced with the “diaspora’s burden” – to enlighten, to change, to fix. A desire to return to make a positive change can sour when faced with suspicion and contempt, and turn into a belief that local Somalis are corrupt, backward, dishonest and all those other tropes that colonial officials perpetuated.

Jama Musse Jama, a mathematician and publisher from Pisa, Italy, returned after a 20-year absence to establish the Hargeisa book fair in 2008 and last year moved there permanently to establish and run the Hargeisa cultural centre. He is driven by a desire to celebrate literature, inspire debate and create a space for Somali arts. Sitting in his office, surrounded by ancient manuscripts from a religious order in Berbera, his work seems academic and peaceful; but it’s not always that way. This year there was much more vocal opposition to the book fair but Jama knows that he can only overcome it by reaching out to religious leaders, the government and the community itself. This commitment to staying and working with the local population is the necessary ingredient to making a successful return, it seems.

Growing up, I always assumed I would return to Somaliland, to “make a difference” and to reconnect with a place I was so abruptly torn away from. In those 30 years I have changed dramatically and so has my home city. I am one of those summer visitors and I see much that I identify with and much that I don’t. I intend to spend more time there, working in the arts and with organisations that work with vulnerable children, but I hope that the welcome I expect will still be offered in the years to come.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/11/diaspora-somaliland-hargeysa

Figo

|Garowe|Jalam|Galkacyo|
VIP
Diaspora youths that try to influence the youths back should be treated as:trash:I'm talking about the low life's. They shouldn't be something up look up to. I think the elders should step up and shame these lost souls. Gang wars? Drug selling? Making girls throw away their hijab? :williamswtf:Naw son I swear if these kids are getting away with these things elders back home aren't up to their job.

I'm really glad majority of our people at home are against these scums from the diaspora.

SuldaanMethylamine

Scheming from Salaxley
Never understood the idea of doing and behaving in the same way you did in the West when you're back home. If you don't wanna conform to the life back home then save yourself the $2000 and stay where you are.

waraabe

Your superior
Never understood the idea of doing and behaving in the same way you did in the West when you're back home. If you don't wanna conform to the life back home then save yourself the $2000 and stay where you are.

all you have to do to see how bad this has gotten is go to crown hotel on an eid night. wallahi it is shocking (i just went there inaan faro xumeeyo toronto girls ). i left before buying a ticket as the night wouldve have ended in zina

SuldaanMethylamine

Scheming from Salaxley
all you have to do to see how bad this has gotten is go to crown hotel on an eid night. wallahi it is shocking (i just went there inaan faro xumeeyo toronto girls ). i left before buying a ticket as the night wouldve have ended in zina
Crown hotel :holeup::ohno:

Something bad is gonna happen to that place soon I can sense it. Sahra Halgan's Hiddo Dhawr spot is much better

waraabe

Your superior
Crown hotel :holeup::ohno:

Something bad is gonna happen to that place I can sense it. Sahra Halgan's Hiddo Dhawr spot is much better

wallahi one of the waiters at crown was speaking to my cousin and he was planing to leave. he was scared that the place will be destroyed in an earthquake or another nature disaster because of the fusuq that goes on in there .

my chill spot was deero mall, cheap $6 dinners which were really good

Q

Queen Carawelo

:comeon::comeon:
you are comparing a city like hargeisa to puntland, might as well compare a village or baadiyaha

:ririwtf:

Come again? Have you seen bosaso? Garowe? Qardho? Galkacayo?

Don't make me laugh with your nonsense..:westbrookwtf:

How come almost all the Somali youth who go back home are losers? Ive never seen one who took the year off to learn the language or something. They are all human waste who had nothing going on for them, were criminals or failed in school or was chronically unemployed constantly kicking it with the niggas

Liibaan

And seek help in patience and prayers
Hargeisa has always been bit too liberal. I think this kinda thing wouldn't work in Burco or more conservative Somali towns

The youth are even more of a curse than the corrupt elite. I told you They want Ethnic cultural and economic suicide.

XAARGEISA!!:pacspit:

The worst Somali city on earth

They host cadaan Stars
anhrom.jpg

They host cadaan gay advocators.
pq8h4.jpg

They host the crazy lunatic psychotic feminists who advocated for somali women need for perverted sexual revolution. Become gay lesbian etc and walk around half naked.
2eeiyw2.jpg

This is a crazy nuttcase who works for human rights center in Xaargeisa wrote that somali boys discipline their mothers and dowry/meher is buying women and all sorts of nonsense.

Xaargeisa has the highest hiv/aids percentage Then any
Somali city because of the Sex Tourism.
ruwavq.jpg

No Wonder Siad Barre nuked that Gaalo city! :mjohreally:

Jokes aside you guys are so desperate for recognition that you guys have litterally sold your own souls.

Balaayo idin ku dhacday! :hova:

. A semi-colonial relationship rears its head, in which the “white man’s burden” is replaced with the “diaspora’s burden” – to enlighten, to change, to fix. A desire to return to make a positive change can sour when faced with suspicion and contempt, and turn into a belief that local Somalis are corrupt, backward, dishonest and all those other tropes that colonial officials perpetuated.

:snoop: f*ck these bastard youth, Nacaalada fucking stay in your host countries and become sucsessful. Stop running to somali regions you dumb idiots. If any help should be given is help for self help from Particular qualified people . Not you guys acting like you know shit telling the natives what do , how to act and how they are wrong. How can you come back and try to take advantage and exploit the vurnability of the locals? How can you come there and act like the natives have no word.

f*ck these shitty youth rude ,no respect for elders or anyone. How dare they import western/arab bulshit dhaqan to somali regions?

Parents got to understand that back home is not a garbage truck you can dump all your loser kids on.

he is a 72 year old German o maker , who made movies of himself banging several females in Xaargeisa.
http://en.europenews.dk/German-Sentenced-to-4-Years-for-Making--in-Somaliland-79709.html

And his still alive ????

Just lost all respect for xaargeisa what a shithole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending