Somalis established a ruling dynasty in Maldive islands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
The first king of the Maldivian Hilaalee Dynasty was proclaimed king in the year 1388 AD. Hilali dynasty was a Somali Dynasty. Some historical writing and some folklores reveal that this Dynasty is from Somali descent. It seems they were travellers and traders of Ajuran Empire where they established a colony in Maldive islands. They settled in Hlhule' in Male' atoll. Some historical documents reveal that Hilali Kalo Hassan dethroned King Uthman Rasgefaan, who reveal the ruling King at that time and outcasted him and all his ministers. After his Hilai Kalo Hassan started the Hilai Dynasty. The Hilaalee dynasty was a sub-dynasty of Garen Dynasty.[1][2]

Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilaalee_dynasty

One famous Somali ruler from Maldives who met Ibn Battuta was Abdal Al-Aziz of Mogadishu.

Abd al-Aziz was a Somali governor of Maldive islands which used to be a colony of Ajuran Empire. He was part of the Hilaalee dynasty which was a sub-dynasty of Garen Dynasty.

The presence and high position of Abd al-Aziz in this region highlights the close connections between medieval Maldives and the Somali seamen from Mogadishu sailing the Indian Ocean. They supplied Maldivian traders with exotic animals and musk, and contributed to the ethnogenesis of the Maldivian population.[1][2]

In 1346, Abd al-Aziz welcomed Ibn Battuta at his court and entertained him before giving him a barque to continue his journey.[3]

Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abd_al-Aziz_of_Mogadishu

Abd Al-Aziz the most famous Somali viceroy.

198_331.jpg

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
Somalia hanoolaato!

Don't forget sis how the Maldives were converted to Islam by a very famous Somali saint called Yusuf bin Ahmad al-Kawneyn. Read a historical quote from below.

In the Maldives, he is called Saint Abu Barakat al Barbari ("blessed father of Somalia") and whose religious name was Shaykh Yusuf al Kawneyn.[4] He is also credited with spreading Islam in the islands, establishing the Hukuru Miskiiy Mosque, and converting the Maldivian population into Islam.[21] Ibn Batuta states the Madliveian king was converted by Abu Al Barakat Al Berber ("blessed father of Somalia").[15] The Shaykh reportedly converted the islands into Islam by convincing the local King, Sultan Mohammed Al Adil, after having subdued Ranna Maari, a demon coming from the sea.[22]

Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yusuf_bin_Ahmad_al-Kawneyn

For more, go to Islamic period section on the Maldive page. Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maldives

The first king of the Maldivian Hilaalee Dynasty was proclaimed king in the year 1388 AD. Hilali dynasty was a Somali Dynasty. Some historical writing and some folklores reveal that this Dynasty is from Somali descent. It seems they were travellers and traders of Ajuran Empire where they established a colony in Maldive islands. They settled in Hlhule' in Male' atoll. Some historical documents reveal that Hilali Kalo Hassan dethroned King Uthman Rasgefaan, who reveal the ruling King at that time and outcasted him and all his ministers. After his Hilai Kalo Hassan started the Hilai Dynasty. The Hilaalee dynasty was a sub-dynasty of Garen Dynasty.[1][2]

Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilaalee_dynasty

One famous Somali ruler from Maldives who met Ibn Battuta was Abdal Al-Aziz of Mogadishu.

Abd al-Aziz was a Somali governor of Maldive islands which used to be a colony of Ajuran Empire. He was part of the Hilaalee dynasty which was a sub-dynasty of Garen Dynasty.

The presence and high position of Abd al-Aziz in this region highlights the close connections between medieval Maldives and the Somali seamen from Mogadishu sailing the Indian Ocean. They supplied Maldivian traders with exotic animals and musk, and contributed to the ethnogenesis of the Maldivian population.[1][2]

In 1346, Abd al-Aziz welcomed Ibn Battuta at his court and entertained him before giving him a barque to continue his journey.[3]

Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abd_al-Aziz_of_Mogadishu

Abd Al-Aziz the most famous Somali viceroy.

198_331.jpg

:whoa:

I never fail to be amazed at the way some Somalis grab at the smallest straws, making huge mats and houses out of them. Ibn Batutta said Abu Barakat was from Morocco. It was later suggested he could have come from Berbera or Tabriz.

http://www.self.gutenberg.org/articles/eng/Republic_of_the_Maldives

"The famous Moroccan traveller Ibn Batutta, who visited the Maldives in the 14th century, wrote how a Moroccan, one Abu Barakat the Berber, was believed to have been responsible for spreading Islam in the islands. Even though this report has been contested in later sources, it does explain some crucial aspects of Maldivian culture. For instance, historically Arabic has been the prime language of administration there, instead of the Persian and Urdu languages used in the nearby Muslim states. Another link to North Africa was the Maliki school of jurisprudence, used throughout most of North-Africa, which was the official one in the Maldives until the 17th centry.[27]

Some scholars have suggested the possibility of Ibn Battuta misreading Maldive texts, and have posited another scenario where this Abu Barakat might have been a native of Berbera, a significant trading port on the Somalian coast.[28] This scenario would also help explain the usage of the Arabic language and the predominance of the Maliki school on the islands.

Another interpretation, held by some of the islanders, is that Abu Barakat was an Iranian from Tabriz. In the Arabic script the words al-Barbari and al-Tabrizi are very much alike, owing to the fact that Arabic has no letters to represent vowels. The first reference to an Iranian origin dates to an 18th-century Persian text.[29]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sultans_of_the_Maldives

Hilaalee Dynasty
Name Monarch From Monarch Until Notes
Sultan Hassan I 1388 1398 First of the Hilaaly Dynasty.Son of Golhaavahi Kambulo (probably a Lunar dynasty lady) and Kulhiveri Hilaalu Kaeulhanna Kaloge son of Muslim Abbas of Hulhule

Did you make up that Wiki post on the Ajuraan? You or somebody like you did. It's not historically accurate.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP

I never fail to be amazed at the way some Somalis grab at the smallest straws, making huge mats and houses out of them. Ibn Batutta said Abu Barakat was from Morocco. It was later suggested he could have come from Berbera or Tabriz.

"The famous Moroccan traveller Ibn Batutta, who visited the Maldives in the 14th century, wrote how a Moroccan, one Abu Barakat the Berber, was believed to have been responsible for spreading Islam in the islands. Even though this report has been contested in later sources, it does explain some crucial aspects of Maldivian culture. For instance, historically Arabic has been the prime language of administration there, instead of the Persian and Urdu languages used in the nearby Muslim states. Another link to North Africa was the Maliki school of jurisprudence, used throughout most of North-Africa, which was the official one in the Maldives until the 17th centry.[27]

Some scholars have suggested the possibility of Ibn Battuta misreading Maldive texts, and have posited another scenario where this Abu Barakat might have been a native of Berbera, a significant trading port on the Somalian coast.[28] This scenario would also help explain the usage of the Arabic language and the predominance of the Maliki school on the islands.

Another interpretation, held by some of the islanders, is that Abu Barakat was an Iranian from Tabriz. In the Arabic script the words al-Barbari and al-Tabrizi are very much alike, owing to the fact that Arabic has no letters to represent vowels. The first reference to an Iranian origin dates to an 18th-century Persian text.[29]"

Hilaalee Dynasty
Sultan Hassan I 1388 1398 First of the Hilaaly Dynasty.Son of Golhaavahi Kambulo (probably a Lunar dynasty lady) and Kulhiveri Hilaalu Kaeulhanna Kaloge son of Muslim Abbas of Hulhule

Did you make up that Wiki post on the Ajuraan? You or somebody like you did. It's not historically accurate.

All you're doing is being very intellectually dishonest and using made up blogs without providing any authentic sources like me so I'll gladly debunk you again.

Yusuf bin Ahmad al-Kawneyn was a Somali man either from Zeila or Berbera. There are Zeila and Harar Manuscripts confirming he was a local native Somali man belonging to the Dir clan.

Shiekh Abi-Bakr Al Alawi, a Harari historian, states in his book that that Yusuf bin Ahmad al-Kawneyn was of native and local Dir (clan) extraction.

Source: Quath, Faati (1957). Islam Walbaasha Cabra Taarikh [Islam and Abyssinia throughout history] (in Arabic). Cairo,Egypt.

Let's not forget the fact that Yusuf bin Ahmad al-Kawneyn invented a writing script for the ethnic Somalis in Arabic writing script called Wadaad script. Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wadaad_writing

As for Hilaale Dynasty. There are Maldive scholars confirming they were of Somali descent who were from the Ajuran Kingdom. In fact, Ibn Battuta who met Abdul Aziz of Mogadishu mentioned the dynasty and him being Somali. I'll provide three references for you.

Reference 1: Dhivehi raajje: a portrait of Maldives By Adrian Neville pg 6

Reference 2: Maldivian Links with Eastern Africa Archived January 1, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.

Reference 3: The voyage of François Pyrard of Laval: to the East Volume 2, Part 2 By François Pyrard pg 467

Last edited:
Sorry, I saw him on Somali historical articles.

The rest of your stuff is just as good.

We were talking about the guy from the Maldives, the Moroccan, one Abu Barakat the Berber. Yusuf bin Ahmad al-Kawneyn was somebody else.

My source was an official publication of the Republic of the Maldives. Yours seems to have been somewhere the sun don't shine.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
The rest of your stuff is just as good.

We were talking about the guy from the Maldives, the Moroccan, one Abu Barakat the Berber. Yusuf bin Ahmad al-Kawneyn was somebody else.

My source was an official publication of the Republic of the Maldives.

Oooo sorry Grant. Now we can have a dialogue. I was like does this guy really hate Somalis?

Yusuf bin Ahmad al-Kawneyn the famous Somali saint was the one who converted the Islands and Ibn Batutta who was a historian confirmed it by the Maldive population. He also confirmed the ruler was Somali from Mogadishu and he said the Dynasty was also Somali. I mean Abdal Al-Aziz son took over. Common sense right?

Here is the source: Ibn Batuta, Travels in Asia and Africa 1325-1354, tr. and ed. H. A. R. Gibb (London: Broadway House, 1929)

By the way, I hope next time we can get along and @AbdiMajad whose been to alot of Somali museums can share with us too.

Oooo sorry Grant. Now we can have a dialogue. I was like does this guy really hate Somalis?

Yusuf bin Ahmad al-Kawneyn the famous Somali saint was the one who converted the Islands and Ibn Batutta who was a historian confirmed it by the Maldive population. He also confirmed the ruler was Somali from Mogadishu and he said the Dynasty was also Somali. I mean Abdal Al-Aziz son took over. Common sense right?

Here is the source: Ibn Batuta, Travels in Asia and Africa 1325-1354, tr. and ed. H. A. R. Gibb (London: Broadway House, 1929)

By the way, I hope next time we can get along and @AbdiMajad whose been to alot of Somali museams can share with us too. Also, remember, don't bring fake blogs please, that's all.

Sir. With all due respect, your conclusions do not belong in the history section.

Abdi is another exaggerator and grabber of straws who also does not belong here. If you are talking about the Somali collection in Minnesota, or the one at Stanford, much of that comes from me and my friends. The Somali collection at Indiana state came mostly through John Johnson, a member of my group. What other collections are there?

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
Sir. With all due respect, your conclusions do not belong in the history section.

Abdi is another exaggerator and grabber of straws who also does not belong here. If you are talking about the Somali collection in Minnesota, or the one at Stanford, much of that comes from me and my friends. The Somali collection at Indiana state came mostly through John Johnson, a member of my group. What other collections are there?

Yes it does actually. I have unlimited sources and I will show them. Just remember whenever you post a lie, I will debunk it so get used to the pressure. You aren't a historian but a troll and an old man hating on Somalis within Somalispot. That's all you do while back home where there are plenty of Somali museums and historians will laugh at you as a joke and a liar who has nothing better to do but create historical revisionist against Somalis on Somalispot.

I've thrown all the sources and in return you ignore it and just show me fake blogs. Clearly it shows who is being the logical one here which is me ofcourse.

I will continue contributing on history section along with Abdi backup. :)

World

VIP

Hilaalee Dynasty

Ibn Battuta didn't say he was Morrocan, because Morocco didn't even exist then. He said he was from Bilad-al-Berber, which was what Somalia was known back then. He visited Mogadishu in Southern Somalia and said that the ruler was a Berber, visited Zeila in Northern Somalia and said that the inhabitants are Berbers, and went to Maldives and said that the ruler is a Berber.

Is this even true? I checked the sources on the Wikipedia page and all it leads us is to a painting and an archived webpage that doesn't even mention Somali's nor the "Hilalee Dynasty".

https://web.archive.org/web/20100101031957/http://www.cpamedia.com/history/maldives_east_africa/

^^^^ the source says that Maldavines was first discovered by South Asians and Sri Lankens and the Maldavine king converted to Islam. Only thing it mentions about Somali's is that they traded off the Swahili and Somali coasts along with Arabs.

Hilaalee Dynasty

Barkat was Somali I find it very difficult that a Moroccan since Morocco is not even remotely close to Maldives
I agree with the rest of your points though

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
Is this even true? I checked the sources on the Wikipedia page and all it leads us is to a painting and an archived webpage that doesn't even mention Somali's nor the "Hilalee Dynasty".

https://web.archive.org/web/20100101031957/http://www.cpamedia.com/history/maldives_east_africa/

^^^^ the source says that Maldavines was first discovered by South Asians and Sri Lankens and the Maldavine king converted to Islam. Only thing it mentions about Somali's is that they traded off the Swahili and Somali coasts along with Arabs.

View attachment 41461
The painting is not a Somali in the Maldives, it's a black dude in "ancient china".

We already explained it. No need to repeat the pictures. Also, to answer your question. The source you have shown says discovered. I never said Somalis were the first people to discover the islands. I said the Somalis converted the maldive population into Islam and established a colony under the Ajuran Empire.

The Islands were converted to Islam by a Somali saint called Yusuf bin Ahmad al-Kawneyn. Watch this video who is a very famous and well-respected historian and scholar called Richard Bulliet. He mentions the Somali saint and Hilaale Dynasty being Somali. Watch it from below.

To answer your question. The source you have shown says discovered. I never said Somalis were the first people to discover the islands. I said the Somalis converted the maldive population to Islam and established a colony under the Ajuran Empire.

The Islands were converted to Islam by a Somali saint called Yusuf bin Ahmad al-Kawneyn. Watch this video who is a very famous and well-respected historian and scholar called Richard Bulliet. He mentions the Somali saint and Hilaale Dynasty being Somali. Watch it from below.

Ahhhh, I see. So what did we do with the island? It seems like Berbers, Arabs, South Asians and Other Africans had a population there too. What did we gain from it? And also, did the Somali King ever return?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending