Somalis Drought Getting Worse. Famine Soon?

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
https://www.theguardian.com/global-...k-of-starvation-as-drought-returns-to-somalia

How much truth is there to these drought articles?

See them every year from NGOs who exaggerate things to raise charity/make payroll.

However seeing more of these warnings over the past few months.

How is the government's drought resilience plan coming along?

Are the states prepared in case shit hits the fan again?

While we at it... any resources out there that let's us help out in some way?

Hurts me to see hundreds of thousands of hectares of prime farmland empty while people starve.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
A thousand dollars per hectare could turn these idle fields in the south into high yield farms.

100,000 hectares (30 by 30 km) could produce enough food for a couple million drought victims.

Or better yet, produce animal feed so we avoid the famine altogether since we're mostly pastoralists.

Storage silos should be reasonably cheap to build.

Instead of spending billions in food aid why can't we spend a fraction of that to cultivate these idle fields and build storage silos?

If it's a land ownership issue then the government could hold temporary ownership and hire an agriculture management company to carry out the farming and storage for a pittance.

Once private commercial farmers get educated they can take over through land auctions.

as far as i know heavy consecutive rains in lander areas for a month and a half now, theres no drought here, its just beautiful.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
as far as i know heavy consecutive rains in lander areas for a month and a half now, theres no drought here, its just beautiful.

That's what I'm also getting. Can't really trust these foreign sources without eyes on the ground.

However Somalia has multiple regions with slightly different climate zones and let's not forget that floods does immediately rule out a drought.

Simple stuff like river embankments would solve that and have been used by river river based civilizations for millennia.

Not sure why we can't solve that problem.

Also rain doesn't magically grow food for us either.

That's what I'm also getting. Can't really trust these foreign sources without eyes on the ground.

However Somalia has multiple regions with slightly different climate zones and let's not forget that floods does immediately rule out a drought.

Simple stuff like river embankments would solve that and have been used by river river based civilizations for millennia.

Not sure why we can't solve that problem.

Also rain doesn't magically grow food for us either.

rain grows grass,food in which the nomads and population ova all depend. Also more water in river areas as they flood and make greener pasture.if only the water from one past nite is caught that will irrigate for a year . thats where any future govt should concentrate,definitely not only we be self sufficient in food but we can export.
many people use rigs in villages and theres plenty of water underneath without even rain.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
rain grows grass,food in which the nomads and population ova all depend. Also more water in river areas as they flood and make greener pasture.if only the water from one past nite is caught that will irrigate for a year . thats where any future govt should concentrate,definitely not only we be self sufficient in food but we can export.
many people use rigs in villages and theres plenty of water underneath without even rain.

There is but a lot of it contaminated with salt water. Somalis has the worst luck when it comes to aquifers.

Also that isn't sustainable for a couple reason. It doesn't flood where it's most needed and where it rains our crappy soil doesn't retain shit.

It's highly inefficient that's why I brought up huge managed farms that could fill food storage silos in case of emergencies.

If the food in storage doesn't get used at the end of the year we could use it as livestock feed during the bulking session just before exporting them.

1 hectare of a high yield farm can feed 10 cows all year while usually they'll need hectares per cow of pasture.

There is but a lot of it contaminated with salt water. Somalis has the worst luck when it comes to aquifers.
Also that isn't sustainable for a couple reason. It doesn't flood where it's most needed and where it rains our crappy soil doesn't retain shit.

It's highly inefficient that's why I brought up huge managed farms that could fill food storage silos in case of emergencies.

If the food in storage doesn't get used at the end of the year we could use it as livestock feed during the bulking session just before exporting them.

1 hectare of a high yield farm can feed 10 cows all year while usually they'll need hectares per cow of pasture.

probably few areas could be salty but by in large its ok from the few substance farming i seen. thats not that much concern,water couldnt be retained cos trees cut by the nomadic lifestyle both by livestock and humans, and thats why large reservoirs needed to be built by gov't like every 20 miles or so,only an organized entity like govt can do it and it shouldnt be hard,it wont cost more than couple millions and reserved grass areas could be established. its not really difficult at all to do it but funds always go to the wrong pockets. thats the biggest problem, actually we wouldnt need any outside help.
Mass Revolution can remedy.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
probably few areas could be salty but by in large its ok from the few substance farming i seen. thats not that much concern,water couldnt be retained cos trees cut by the nomadic lifestyle both by livestock and humans, and thats why large reservoirs needed to be built by gov't like every 20 miles or so,only an organized entity like govt can do it and it shouldnt be hard,it wont cost more than couple millions and reserved grass areas could be established. its not really difficult at all to do it but funds always go to the wrong pockets. thats the biggest problem, actually we wouldnt need any outside help.
Mass Revolution can remedy.

Pasture land is a wasteful use of resources... Especially one that's much needed in bone dry Somalia... Water.

Like I said. 1 hectare of high yield farms land could feed 50 times more than the same area of grassland.

100k hectares of farms would solve our biannual famines while grasslands in the same space wouldn't even come close.

Timo Jareer and proud

2nd Emir of the Akh Right Movement
Waa baan, how the fuq does it go from floods to famine?

They just want to raise money for there fake charities.

African, Moslem, and desert? TAKE MY MONEY! :snoop:

Trending

Latest posts