Somalis are a smart ethnic group, why is the country not united?

Y'all Really Need Waaq

Relaxing Love And Hip Hop GIF by VH1
You start it first then.

I think you have really good points, but I also I'm fully against imitating western countries = successful.

We are literally not being colonised if there is a club in Xamar or Hargeisa. Tbh, I have never been to a club and have no interest in being in one, however I am just trying to de-construct your argument because it doesn't hold merit in this context. When I think of Colonisation of Somalia, I think of the marginalisation of somali communities in Kenya and Ethiopia, particularly in Ethiopia. Colonisation has effected that sub-group of Somalis the MOST. (scramble of Africa divided our one ethnic group into many countries)
I understand where you are coming from , however this is a common theme I have been hearing since 2000's and seems to imitate many African scholars and particularly African American scholars who blame all their hardships on colonisation and not on this particular culture and leadership.
Furthermore, I am no expert and still a student trying to understand. I have a lot to learn, and you did make me think about why Somalia is using a Latin script. It does seem a bit useless I agree. Furthermore, who decided Somalia should use a Latin script? Was it by force? No. Somali leaders willingly decided to use the Latin script. To call this colonisation is stupid. I conclude that Somali leaders appeared to lack some self-respect when they did that. They were not forced. I dislike the term colonisation on certain issues like the script because to foreigners, it makes it appear like somali men were psychologically defeated by white men and were easy to trick, like little children. This is false and hilarious. Somalis are a very smart ethnic group, who despite being one of the poorest countries, have a huge self-respect for themselves - sometimes bordering on narcissism.
I have stated multiple times that colonization INFLUENCED (not forced) the implementation of things such as clubs, bars, scripts, etc. The only reason why I mentioned it in the first place was because you assumed that Somalia declined because it strayed away from these European values, which I don't necessarily think is the case.
Also, why is Somalia in the Arab League? Do you know why? I mean, Arabs are great people like every other community, however we do look a bit odd there. Have a look at videos on Youtube by arabs between ages of 20-50 talking about the arab league. They typically are a bit politically polite when they see Somalia listed there and find our culture to be quite distinct from them. They don't know much about us, incorrectly think we were previously enslaved or colonised by arabs which may explain our "features". I don't think they mean harm, but they lack history about Somalia, kinship and respect to even research our history. Even North Sudan is also a bit foreign to them, and that crazy considering considering sudanese people are literally afro arab, speak arabic, have arab culture (since 14th century) whilst Somalis are not. The arab league was created to unify arab speaking countries in the Middle East and partially to assist Palestine in its struggle as well as other Levantine arabs. The reason why Somalia was also included in the arab league is because of the banu hashim stories in Somalia (which have been debunked).
Economic growth and development. Being in the Arab league gives Somalia lots of financial aid which will help in the rebuilding of the country. As to why Somalis have joined in the first place is due to them having historic political ties with the Arab world, of course that doesn't mean they're ethnically Arab but there's an argument they could be in a socio-linguistic context.
Furthermore, why can't Somali's use the script of Ethiopia instead? We are the same people, its an african ancient script (yes, I know thousands of years ago people theorise it came from Yemen however that hasn't been academically confirmed) and it doesn't take us away from being less muslim.
Somalia historically used the Arabic script (wadaad script and other forms of arabic was used almost a millenia ago), writing in the Amharic or Ge'ez script would be just as foreign to using latin.

Why do Somalis always have to link ourselves with Arabs? Turkey doesn't do this and neither does Iran. These are communities who although are not arab, they could pass as one and neighbour them as well. It's typically poorer muslims who do this and muslims with lack of documented great histories (key: I said lack of documented history, not lack of history). Meanwhile Somalia is close to gulf arabs but not land bordering.
I agree with this, I don't know why (some) Somalis do this.

Overall I feel like we're going into circles so I'll end it here. If you have any questions you can proabably ask the others.

Trending

Latest posts