Somalinomics: A case study of informal Somali trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

McD30

Bored to death
The study is about how Somalis establish themselves in small townships in South Africa and compete with local businesses. It essentially concludes that small Somali businesses do better because of good business ethics including earlier opening hours, greater product range and lower prices. Somalis in South Africa have been victims of xenophobic violence for many years now.

Full list of advantages on page 35.
SOMALINOMICS
A CASE STUDY ON THE ECONOMICS OF SOMALI INFORMAL TRADEIN THE WESTERN CAPE​

https://www.academia.edu/6827880/So...onomics_of_Somali_informal_trade_in_Cape_Town

RedStar

The Bad Ali of Jigjiga
VIP
After reading the benefits of the Somali shops, I have come to the conclusion that most of the S/African shop owners (especially in townships) are retarded af. I mean wtf! Some of the things mentioned seem pretty obvious. Things like replenishing stock often, diversifying product range, giving people exact change, and extended opening hours are the least you can do as a shop owner if you want to grow your business.

The Somalis in SA must have hit the jackpot.

McD30

Bored to death
That's exactly what I thought but the title had me like :hmm:

A lot of Somalis leave Europe to go to sub-saharan Africa to set up businesses especially transportation and logistics so I guess there's money to be made there with little competition from the locals.

RedStar

The Bad Ali of Jigjiga
VIP
That's exactly what I thought but the title had me like :hmm:

A lot of Somalis leave Europe to go to sub-saharan Africa to set up businesses especially transportation and logistics so I guess there's money to be made there with little competition from the locals.

You know they're retarded when simple business practices is played out as something sophisticated and is rebranded 'Somalinomics' :drakelaugh:

My uncle left his warehouse job in London so he could ship second hand Scania trucks from Italy to TZ, Uganda, & other central/east African countries ,and he's making a killing out of it. So simple yet so lucrative:wow:

Figo

|Garowe|Jalam|Galkacyo|
VIP
Where ever Somali's go they're always :eating:When it comes to business. A lot more Somali's would head to SA if it wasn't for them Zulu animals.

I know Somali's are doing good outside of Somalia but they need to start investing in dhulka hooyo. If shit hits the fan in those countries all their business will be toast. So I hope more businesses are opened up all over Somalia. Employ the youth who are sitting in front of biibitos doing nothing productive.

This is happening all over Africa Somalis are doing very well in business they start off small and grow to huge companies.
Yup! As simple as it may sound, it this would have not been pulled out if somalis didnt have skills.

The Main huge factor is trust.

Business lessons I have learned from Somali traders
http://www.africasupplychainfrontie...s-lessons-i-have-learned-from-somali-traders/
However, research has shown that with most business successes, to identify and to replicate, are two separate issues. During a recent market research project in Mombasa, Kenya (a city well accustomed to Somalis), local traders could describe in great detail the strategies and tactics used by Somali traders. A number of local traders have collaborated and implemented risk pooling strategies, however with limited success. As one Mombasa entrepreneur put it to me, “we know what they do, but it’s difficult, as trust is in short supply in this neighbourhood.

For somalis is all cultural. You can also add our very social characteristics.

Main factor and the biggest one is Qabil thats where that superhuman trust comes from.

Where ever Somali's go they're always :eating:When it comes to business. A lot more Somali's would head to SA if it wasn't for them Zulu animals.

Actually the somali Entrepeneurial spirit never left somalia.

Read this:Somalia: The Resilience of a People
http://www.africanexecutive.com/modules/magazine/article_print.php?article=4693

We have a vibrant Private sector exist in somalia.

Telecommunication

Small scale industries

Remittance fuels booming trade

Despite the negligence and indifference by the international community; lack of a formal state structure; human suffering and economic cost of the civil strife, Somalis have proven to be a resilient, entrepreneurial, creative, hardworking and ingenious people. They have accomplished remarkable things against the odds and are well ahead of “stable” neighbouring states such as Kenya and Ethiopia, in some development sectors.Let us tell this untold story.

I know Somali's are doing good outside of Somalia but they need to start investing in dhulka hooyo. If shit hits the fan in those countries all their business will be toast. So I hope more businesses are opened up all over Somalia. Employ the youth who are sitting in front of biibitos doing nothing productive

Yeah that is also the problem in Somalia, All major fields of employment are increasingly being occupied by foreigners while cheaper just as qualified natives are constantly overlooked. I am not here talking about professional positions per se, but even the unskilled ones like fuundis in construction are being offered to migrant foreign workers from India and Bangladesh.

I have personally met many qualified a teacher struggling to secure employment simply because schools here refuse to hire them and would rather recruit from Kenya, Uganda, Sudan,etc. @ three to four times the salary. Servers, cooks, and dishwashers in local restaurants are also being imported from Kenya, Uganda, Egypt, among other countries. And the list goes on and on.

The other issue is that somalia is not part of any Trade Union like other countries. With instabile situation and no assurance for investors to invest in somalia creating jobs, its becoming increasingly difficult. Pluss The exploitation of companies and corruption is really bad as well.

paragon

Keeping it Real Since 01/01/90
Actually the somali Entrepeneurial spirit never left somalia.

Read this:Somalia: The Resilience of a People
http://www.africanexecutive.com/modules/magazine/article_print.php?article=4693

We have a vibrant Private sector exist in somalia.

Telecommunication

Small scale industries

Remittance fuels booming trade

Yeah that is also the problem in Somalia, All major fields of employment are increasingly being occupied by foreigners while cheaper just as qualified natives are constantly overlooked. I am not here talking about professional positions per se, but even the unskilled ones like fuundis in construction are being offered to migrant foreign workers from India and Bangladesh.

I have personally met many qualified a teacher struggling to secure employment simply because schools here refuse to hire them and would rather recruit from Kenya, Uganda, Sudan,etc. @ three to four times the salary. Servers, cooks, and dishwashers in local restaurants are also being imported from Kenya, Uganda, Egypt, among other countries. And the list goes on and on.

The other issue is that somalia is not part of any Trade Union like other countries. With instabile situation and no assurance for investors to invest in somalia creating jobs, its becoming increasingly difficult. Pluss The exploitation of companies and corruption is really bad as well.

If Somalis don't employ their skilled but unemployed workers and favor foreigners instead, they will only be creating disgruntled youth, disenfranchise their people and send them to battle the high seas to Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.