Somaliland National Library

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeesto

VIP
I was expecting something more like this. Looks like the lacag went somewhere else *cough, corruption, cough* :kanyeshrug:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
39_big.jpg

Zuleikha

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
:comeon: It looks ugly and very basic. What happened to all the money donated is what I wondering

What were you expecting sxb this is Somaliland, Corruption as its finest :icon lol: This is only 30% of the money donated.

atleast it's not orange or green and blue building.

I thought books, computers and printers were included but damn they need another money for that.:drakekidding:

DeathWish

Hotep and Hebrew Israelite
:comeon: It looks ugly and very basic. What happened to all the money donated is what I wondering
I was expecting something more like this. Looks like the lacag went somewhere else *cough, corruption, cough* :kanyeshrug:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
39_big.jpg

They only used 300,000 for this library. That is not enough to make big buildings. Big buildings would cost millions. In the future, they will renovate/ reconstruct the library when they get enough money.

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
175k for that??

For that amount you can have a 3 story mansion

But another 175k for Books, computers and printers and gardening??

:cosbyhmm:

Hemaal

Jet life till my next life
VIP
They only used 300,000 for this library. That is not enough to make big buildings. Big buildings would cost millions. In the future, they will renovate/ reconstruct the library when they get enough money.

In the future we can add few stories! It's not perfect but it's strategically located downtown hargeisa

Just copying some interesting tidbits and not the whole article since much of it is filler explaining the history of Somaliland/Somalia (which I assume reer sspot already knows) to its uninformed readers.

http://www.citymetric.com/politics/...campaign-build-national-library-hargeisa-2979

Guys let's try to keep the discussion about the library and NOT about the current political situation in Somaliland and Somalia please.

library_head.jpg

"Since 2010, the Somali diaspora have been sending money, to pay for construction of the new building in the capital, Hargeisa."

"Rageeh Omar described the site of the new library in his fundraising video. It occupies 6,000m2 in the middle of Hargeisa, two minutes from the city’s main hospital, 10 from the presidential palace."

"And so, the new building will provide “the normal functions of public library, but also... additional services that are intentionally aimed at solving the unique education problems of a post conflict society”. It’ll provide books for a network of library trucks, providing “book services” to the regions outside Hargeisa, and a “book dispersal and exchange system”, to provide books for schools and other educational facilities. There’ll even be a “Camel Library Caravan that will specifically aim at accessing the nomadic pastoralists in remote areas”.

All this, it’s hoped, will raise literacy levels, in English as well as the local languages of Arabic and Somali, and so boost the economy too."

Now the scheme is moving to its second phase: books, computers and printers, plus landscaping the gardens. This will cost another $175,000. “We are also open to donations of books, furniture and technology,” Emli says. “Or even someone with technical expertise who can help up set-up the librarian system instead of a contemporary donation of a cash sum.” The Czech government, in fact, has helped with the latter: it’s not offered financial support, but has offered to spend four weeks training two librarians."

"On internet forums frequented by the Somali diaspora, a number of people have left comments about the best way to do this. One said he’d “donated all my old science and maths schoolbooks last year”. And then there’s this:

“At least 16 thousand landers get back to home every year, if everyone bring one book our children will have plenty of books to read. But we should make sure to not bring useless books such celebrity biography books or romantic novels. the kids should have plenty of science,maths and vocational books."

Thanks walal for sharing this, i saw a video of Rageeh omar showing us around the site, i will bring my old alevel and gcse books to this library, as well as the communist manifesto :siilaanyolaugh:

175k for that??

For that amount you can have a 3 story mansion

But another 175k for Books, computers and printers and gardening??

:cosbyhmm:

That's very suspect hence why I bolded it.

With that said, we should include the price of land in this location which is near the center I believe.

@Duke of Bohol can you enlighten me about the price of land in the area as I doubt that $175k is needed to build a library that size incl land.

Hemaal

Jet life till my next life
VIP
That's very suspect hence why I bolded it.

With that said, we should include the price of land in this location which is near the center I believe.

@Duke of Bohol can you enlighten me about the price of land in the area as I doubt that $175k is needed to build a library that size incl land.

Kaw. Sxb you obviously have no idea of land prices, the library is in the centre, the land could cost 500K at least give or take but i think the govt gave it for free because they sold the old library (Gandi) which was a one room building in downtown as well, there was an uproar back then!

No way can it cost 175k I know much about the land prices, Remember the Kuwait School outside the city well it was 200K and that was years back. I think 175K is the money spent on building it from scratch.

Thanks walal for sharing this, i saw a video of Rageeh omar showing us around the site, i will bring my old alevel and gcse books to this library, as well as the communist manifesto :siilaanyolaugh:

You must be joking:icon mad:

But in all seriousness, this poses a question about letting in any sought of book as said here:

But we should make sure to not bring useless books such celebrity biography books or romantic novels. the kids should have plenty of science,maths and vocational books."

I some what agree with that statement (but why stop at educational books? what about history, philosophy etc.) since there is a surplus of books in the western world, there's no point in flooding books to a library with limited physical space.

More importantly however, there needs to be a system in place that rejects books/literature such as the communist manifesto:icon lol: and other excertive ideological works (political, religious) although some may see this as censorship.

Somaliland is already facing a number of difficulties such as the drought and qabil problems so they should try to keep the status quo in place. (last thing we need is a Shia 5th column:icon lol: like in Yemen and become the next war zone)

Kaw. Sxb you obviously have no idea of land prices, the library is in the centre, the land could cost 500K at least give or take but i think the govt gave it for free because they sold the old library (Gandi) which was a one room building in downtown as well, there was an uproar back then!

No way can it cost 175k I know much about the land prices, Remember the Kuwait School outside the city well it was 200K and that was years back. I think 175K is the money spent on building it from scratch.

I only know about the prices in my tuulo which is Cg land:manny:

And I too remember about the selling off of gandi library and what a farce it was!

Also the Kuwaiti school is built far out of Hargeisa in the road leading out to Berbera but it is a very large parcel of land.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending