Somaliland doesn't want cheap flights, flydubai will stop flights to Hargeisa this month.

flydubai will stop it's flights to Hargeisa this month after the government ordered them to cut their three times weekly services to only two, some people are speculating that the government is favoring Ethiopian airlines after they encountered a fierce competition from flydubai.
Why Somaliland always favors some companies over others?. years ago they stopped Telesom and Golis bringing fiber optic internet to Berbera and Laascaanood to protect Somcable monopoly. competition is good and this anti-competitive behavior should stop.

Ahmed Ato

Self-interest
Why is the government meddling the market?. they are doing disservice to the customers.
Favouring one company over another is just going to harm the consumers.

Last edited:

Reborn
Before 2011 if you wanted to be a rich man in Somaliland you would enter the private sector and avoid public sector.Since Kulmiye came in that balance has changed as revenue and donor aid has increased with the "opposition" party letting this slide.

They choose aid over sovereignty and now it's corrupt pocket money at the expense of the people.The new Aviation Ministry has done a lot in his short tenure but if this goes through then I guess it's not just regime change is needed but the entire government including it's civil servants.

Before 2011 if you wanted to be a rich man in Somaliland you would enter the private sector and avoid public sector.Since Kulmiye came in that balance has changed as revenue and donor aid has increased with the "opposition" party letting this slide.

They choose aid over sovereignty and now it's corrupt pocket money at the expense of the people.The new Aviation Ministry has done a lot in his short tenure but if this goes through then I guess it's not just regime change is needed but the entire government including it's civil servants.
Last year the parliament dropped the fiber optic monopoly for somcable, they should intervene again.

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
This is good news, we Somalilanders must develop our own airline industry. Why is there no Somaliland Airlines? We need a flag carrier.

Fly Dubai is complete trash. First, they are not connected to any international alliance (like Star Alliance etc) so there is no code sharing. Those travelling from abroad, like Europe or North America, need to buy separate tickets with no guarantees for late arrivals/departures etc. The staff are completely unprofessional and you are lucky not to be overbooked and kicked off the flight. Lastly, they nickle and dime you for everything including food! I only use ET now to fly to SL/PL.

flydubai will stop it's flights to Hargeisa this month after the government ordered them to cut their three times weekly services to only two, some people are speculating that the government is favoring Ethiopian airlines after they encountered a fierce competition from flydubai.
Why Somaliland always favors some companies over others?. years ago they stopped Telesom and Golis bringing fiber optic internet to Berbera and Laascaanood to protect Somcable monopoly. competition is good and this anti-competitive behavior should stop.
That's ina Bixi corruption and monopoly as he favors Ethiopian airlines cuz the insurance company is owned by his nephew and the cheap airlines hurt that company revenue

SirLancelLord

Reformation of Somaliland
VIP
Fly Dubai is complete trash. First, they are not connected to any international alliance (like Star Alliance etc) so there is no code sharing. Those travelling from abroad, like Europe or North America, need to buy separate tickets with no guarantees for late arrivals/departures etc. The staff are completely unprofessional and you are lucky not to be overbooked and kicked off the flight. Lastly, they nickle and dime you for everything including food! I only use ET now to fly to SL/PL.

FlyDubai is technically Emirates...

This is blatant corruption to favour those who brought in Ethiopian. Or it could be a way to save face as FlyDubai planned increase in flights was met by SL lack of capability to not handle the increased flights.

Caaro

I do something called "what I want"
2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Forget that. You can't even call different phone operators :pachah1:
craziest thing I realized when I went to Mogadishu and had to switch from telesom to hormuud. Allowing companies to form monopolies is basically giving them the keys to the market, they can control the prices however they want and no one can do anything.

If there was a free market competitors would suppress each other. Once Ethiopian Airline gets a firm monopoly on SL it’s over. They can jack up the prices however they want and give as bad of a service as they want. Your average Somali can only mince their teeth and fork out the cash or not see their family lol.

To make matters worse Ethiopian Airlines isn’t even a domestic company. At least a monopoly controlled by a local company would still inject money back into the economy but these guys are personally financing Ethiopia lmao.

Guys is it cheaper to go to Jigjiga or to Hargeisa? These two are very close to each other and so maybe a few hours driving wouldn't be a problem

Calaf

Veni Vidi Vici
2022 CHESS CHAMP
GENERALISSIMO
VIP
Guys is it cheaper to go to Jigjiga or to Hargeisa? These two are very close to each other and so maybe a few hours driving wouldn't be a problem
No difference, if you include driving costs and the costs associated with driving, margin will be nothing or even more then the direct cost of travel.

Trending

Latest posts