Somalifishing a thing now?

You see those thirsty Yemenis, claiming diracs lately? LOOOL

No offence, but they don't look good in diracs, that outfit is for slim, long-necked girls, or habaryaro with their gold and swagger.

Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 08.18.06.png

That’s humans for you. Yesterday they clowned you, today they celebrate you and tomorrow they might go back to hating on you.

We Somalis don’t need people’s approval, although I think it’s cool she’s paying homage to our beautiful cultural outfits and looks.

Yemenis have always worn diraac.

I have a strong suspicion that it's those from Southern Yemen who've had historic interaction and mixed genes with Somalis. How come the only Yemenis you'll see wearing it, are those from Southern Yemen or those that look like the Black people of Yemen (the ones they mistreat).

Look at this person for example, this is not a pure Arab. I saw another one wearing a dirac on the timeline, and she also looked admixed.

Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 08.18.06.png

Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 08.20.46.png
Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 08.21.00.png

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I have a strong suspicion that it's those from Southern Yemen who've had historic interaction and mixed genes with Somalis. How come the only Yemenis you'll see wearing it, are those from Southern Yemen or those that look like the Black people of Yemen (the ones they mistreat).

Look at this person for example, this is not a pure Arab. I saw another one wearing a dirac on the timeline, and she also looked admixed.

View attachment 326993

View attachment 326988View attachment 326989
The Dirac was made popular in Djibouti, from what I recall.

On Wiki this what they say:

1714375695365.png

View attachment 326993

View attachment 326988View attachment 326989
That’s because hadramouti Yemenis who are the Southerners were the ones who came to Somalia and would trade with us. Even culturally our cuisine is more similar to Hadramouti food then Northern Yemenis.

Also, Somalis have been moving to the South of Yemen for centuries. As early as 1800s you had Somali communities living there hence it’s to be expected that there will be a cultural exchange and overlap. I don’t have issues as long as they don’t act like Diraac only belongs to them because from looking at Diraac I think it’s definitely a Somali invention particularly Djibouti women.

That’s because hadramouti Yemenis who are the Southerners were the ones who came to Somalia and would trade with us. Even culturally our cuisine is more similar to Hadramouti food then Northern Yemenis.

Also, Somalis have been moving to the South of Yemen for centuries. As early as 1800s you had Somali communities living there hence it’s to be expected that there will be a cultural exchange and overlap. I don’t have issues as long as they don’t act like Diraac only belongs to them because from looking at Diraac I think it’s definitely a Somali invention particularly Djibouti women.

All I want, is for these ethnic groups to tell the truth. It's clear it was invented by Somali women, because it's Somali women who look the best in that attire, it suits the slim frames, long necks. In addition, the Somali dirac industry is the most dynamic and interesting.

I don't mind cultural exchanges, but I can't stand seeing all these ethnic groups, pretend that they founded these things. For example, Ugandans call Alindi Print, clearly brought to Uganda by Somali trades "Kikoy". I wish we had a stronger government, to place some copyright on certain items, because it's ridiculous.

The Dirac was made popular in Djibouti, from what I recall.

On Wiki this what they say:

View attachment 326994

Tall women or at least, women with long necks, look the best in flowing garments. I have never seen any other ethnic group, look better in diracs. The same way that Nigerian women, look the best in their fitted wedding garments, and Indian women in their saris. Every ethnic group just shines, when they wear their ethnic garments, it's always obvious to me, when it's an adopted item.

All I want, is for these ethnic groups to tell the truth. It's clear it was invented by Somali women, because it's Somali women who look the best in that attire, it suits the slim frames, long necks. In addition, the Somali dirac industry is the most dynamic and interesting.

I don't mind cultural exchanges, but I can't stand seeing all these ethnic groups, pretend that they founded these things. For example, Ugandans call Alindi Print, clearly brought to Uganda by Somali trades "Kikoy". I wish we had a stronger government, to place some copyright on certain items, because it's ridiculous.
The thing is Diraac is old. People aren’t going to know or care and that’s why I don’t understand the gatekeeping of cultural items when a group have been our neighbors for centuries and we’ve been giving and taking as well. Many of our cultural foods are Yemeni and it’s vice versa for them.

Example, those Kufi Caps Somali odeys wear in my books is definitely Somali even if it’s Southern Yemeni and Omani Inspired. If a Somali male made a thread about Somali clothes and included that cap that would be fine. We’ve been wearing it for centuries now so at this point no one cares or remembers that it’s originally Southern Arabian. It’s the same for the macaawis.

As for Ugandans that’s strange since they’re not our neighbors and we’ve not been living amongst them and vice versa. Hence any claim of there are incredibly modern and need to be countered.

That’s just my humble opinion.

The thing is Diraac is old. People aren’t going to know or care and that’s why I don’t understand the gatekeeping of cultural items when a group have been your neighbors for centuries and we’ve been giving and taking as well.

Example, those Kufi Caps Somali odeys wear in my books is definitely Somali even if it’s Southern Yemeni and Omani Inspired. If a Somali male made a thread about Somali clothes and included that cap that would be fine. We’ve been wearing it for centuries now so at this point no one cares of remembers that it’s originally Southern Arabian. It’s the same for the macaawis.

Somalis admit that those Kufis are from Arabs though, that's the difference. Somalis are not audacious about cultural clothing, those Yemenis were running around social media the past few days, acting as if the dirac was their native dress. I don't mind cultural exchange, but hiding the truth? That grinds my gears.

Somalis admit that those Kufis are from Arabs though, that's the difference. Somalis are not audacious about cultural clothing, those Yemenis were running around social media the past few days, acting as if the dirac was their native dress. I don't mind cultural exchange, but hiding the truth? That grinds my gears.
True, in that regard I agree but a lot of it is pure ignorance. A few months ago I was none the wiser that macaawis isn’t actually really ours or even the Kufi for that matter. When a group have been wearing something for more than 100+ yrs plus it becomes part of the national dress. No group of people are truly original, every invention comes from somewhere and then was added to it to make it more unique ect.

That’s just my personal opinion though? Maybe I’m a bit too laid back and plus we Somalis have the Diraac game on lock and now Yemenis are never associated with it. They can go on about Diraac until they’re blue in the face but Diraac is truly a Somali girls invention πŸ’…