Somalia women football head flees the country after unearthing graft in the football association

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farm

VIP
The Head of the women football in Somalia now says her life is in danger after reporting the local football Association to FIFA for embezzling funds, prompting her to flee Mogadishu.

She wants FIFA to expedite investigations and take actions against the officials whom she says were an impediment to the growth of the game in the country.

Last month, Shaima Mohamed reached out to world football governing body to take action, claiming money made available by FIFA to support the women’s game in her country is not reaching its intended target.

Shaima has received numerous threats to her life, with some telling her to quit the sporting activity altogether or face dire consequences, forcing her to flee the country.

“Ever since I raised the issue, all is not well. I have received threats. All I am looking for is money meant for our women footballers; I am not up to any witch-hunt,” she disclosed.

“I can no longer stay in Mogadishu I have had leave the country for my own security, I cannot take the threats for granted given the volatile situation in the country”, she added.

She also lamented the slow pace with which FIFA had handled the matter, asserting her aggressors have now staged a coup to edge her out two years into her six-year term.

Every national federation is entitled to money from FIFA, with KSh 10 million of the KSh 50 million available for operational costs ring-fenced for women’s football.

Additional money is available for travel to women’s tournaments and for special projects related to women’s football.

The Somali federation has not responded to requests for comment. She said the federation gave her an official title but turned down her request for an office, equipment and a rent-free field for training.

Girls and women continue to play, notably at the Golden Club academy in Mogadishu, which Mohamed founded and runs. Mohamed, who grew up in Kenya, has been battling to establish women’s football in Somalia since she moved back in 2015, aged 19.

“There were no women playing football so I decided to form a group I could play with,” she said

I had to open up an academy so that more girls could be inspired and empowered,” she added.

https://goobjoog.com/english/somali...hing-graft-in-the-local-football-association/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending