Somalia seems to be entering a drought worse than 2011 or 2017

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
There are various reasons.
  1. Rainfall in Southern Somalia is becoming unpredictable
  2. Somali farmers do not use improved seed or GMO drought tolerant seed
  3. The best land that should be used to grow corn & sorghum (Juba River Valley, Hiiraan, Afmadow district etc...) are inhabited by pastoralists who don't farm, or lack infrastructure.
  4. Population is growing much faster (3.5%) than the economy (2%), so the country gets poorer each year.
  5. Governments don't understand what investments they should be making. For example, Puntland spends the vast majority of its budget on salaries instead of infrastructure.
  6. Alshabab are impeding the transport sector. Importers get double taxed at Kismayo and Mogadishu.
I can go on and on. I am shocked that Somalia has been able to make it this far to be honest.
Go on with that list

bidenkulaha

GalYare
0CC59434-8A6B-4285-9C64-DFF54AF88F6C.jpeg

The drought in numbers.

Insane situation in the South, especially Gedo, Juba, Shabellaha and Mudug.

bidenkulaha

GalYare
So around 3 million ppl in desperate need of aid??? This is totally fine 🙃
That’s what happens when more than half your population are geeljire who don’t live in the cities.

The moment they can’t feed themselves when livestock dies because of drought they need free food provided by the government otherwise they starve to death.

This can’t continue because Somalia’s climate is going to get worse

I hope the government and the wider community learn something from this drought, things must change otherwise our nation will perish.

bidenkulaha

GalYare

Very sad. But weird to continue seeing Ukraine war blamed rather than climate change. Most of those starving are not affected by inflation but instead drought

what can we do? Who are the most effective charities to donate to? Its so sad that this keeps happening. We KNOW its gonna happen again in the near future. What can we do to prepare for it?

bidenkulaha

GalYare
Wasiir Fiqi “Hadii uusan Dalka Roob ka da'in bilaha soo socda waxaa laga yabaa in 17-Gobol ay macluul soo wajihi doonto Banaadir kaliya ay badbaadi doonto”