Somalia is producing less food than it did 60 years ago.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
Total cereal production last year was ~192,000 tons composed mostly of sorghum and maize. There are ups and down in production but the trend line is pointing down. Somalia was producing 255,000 tons of cereals 60 years ago in 1961. This means that Somalia with 2.8 million people in 1961 produced more food than Somalia with 15.5 million people in 2020. Fairly shocking levels of incompetence on display here.

This should not even be possible given the improvement in plant breeds since the Green Revolution. I don't understand what they are growing to be getting yields of less than 300 kg per hectare. Absolutely insane. 192,000 tons is only good enough to feed about 1.5 million people per year. Somalia is capable of feeding less than 10% of its population with its current production. If it was distributed to everyone it would be about 12 kilos per person for the whole year! As recently as 2012 that figure was about 30 kilos per person. Somalia's grain self-sufficiency is declining by about 11% per year.
https://www.ajfand.net/Volume19/No3/Gavin18025.pdf

Gu season 2020

gu 2020.png

Deyr season 2020

deyr 2020.png

2020 Gu and Deyr assessment findings

somalia food production.png

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/AG.PRD.CREL.MT?end=2017&locations=SO&start=1961&view=chart

Anisah The Serpent

☼ The sun is alone but it still shines ☼
I think that they used to make most of their own food production but now they get most things from arab countries. :comeon:

Last edited:
Thats not true man.

Of course it's true. Take the blinders from your vision and the paddings from your ears. I will give you just one example out of thousands: My ayeyo has in her collection government documents from that era. I cannot begin to describe how professional and legitimate those documents looked. It had seals and everything. Have you seen government documents of today? I have a piece of land in Somalia and my ownership papers looks like it was written by a child. It is written in black pen, includes the fingerprint of one illiterate relative, and has the jurisdiction's Staples-style stamp in the middle of the page. It looks beyond fake and it is only a matter when, not if, that piece of land is claimed by someone else with ownership documents that look just an iota better than mine. Maybe he will have two finger prints (his own) to counter the finger print on mine

Boogie

Islam wins doesnt take Ls Long Live Somalia 🇸🇴
Nothing surprising about it. Somalia got its "independence" 60 years ago. What a coincidental correlation. They were much better off controlled by the Europeans.
Of course it's true. Take the blinders from your vision and the paddings from your ears. I will give you just one example out of thousands: My ayeyo has in her collection government documents from that era. I cannot begin to describe how professional and legitimate those documents looked. It had seals and everything. Have you seen government documents of today? I have a piece of land in Somalia and my ownership papers looks like it was written by a child. It is written in black pen, includes the fingerprint of one illiterate relative, and has the jurisdiction's Staples-style stamp in the middle of the page. It looks beyond fake and it is only a matter when, not if, that piece of land is claimed by someone else with ownership documents that look just an iota better than mine. Maybe he will have two finger prints (his own) to counter the finger print on mine
What about before colonization where Somalia controlled so much land with not much population

Nothing surprising about it. Somalia got its "independence" 60 years ago. What a coincidental correlation. They were much better off controlled by the Europeans.
We're better off without them, the nation was much poorer on their watch than today despite the challanges Somalia faces, extreme poverty plauged the place more so than today, their sole aim was exploitation, not some good white boys wanting to help us.

We're better off without them, the nation was much poorer on their watch than today despite the challanges Somalia faces, extreme poverty plauged the place more so than today, their sole aim was exploitation, not some good white boys wanting to help us.

With the exploitation, Somalia was much better off. Turkey and the Gulf nations are taking advantage of Somalis much worse today than the colonialists did. Look at the urban planning of some of the southern towns' oldest neighbourhoods, which even have sewer systems. Somalia became a country way too early. It should have been 100 years of colonalization so knowledge transfer could occur. It could have been an upper middle income country. It was a wasted opportunity.

Apollo

VIP
With the exploitation, Somalia was much better off. Turkey and the Gulf nations are taking advantage of Somalis much worse today than the colonialists did. Look at the urban planning of some of the southern towns' oldest neighbourhoods, which even have sewer systems. Somalia became a country way too early. It should have been 100 years of colonalization so knowledge transfer could occur. It could have been an upper middle income country. It was a wasted opportunity.

I suggested that Turkey should colonize Somalia a couple of times, each time I got downvotes for it, kek.

I suggested that Turkey colonizes Somalia a couple of times, each time I got downvotes for it, kek.

Why Turkey when it could be a northern European country? Well now it's never going to happen. It's 2021. Everyone is sensitive today and the Twitter baboons will call it slavery.

Apollo

VIP
Why Turkey when it could be a northern European country? Well now it's never going to happen. It's 2021. Everyone is sensitive today and the Twitter baboons will call it slavery.

Turkey is the most advanced MENA country. It is like the Germany of the Middle East (if the Middle East is Europe in this analogy). Also, more palatable to be colonized by Muslims than by gaals. Western Turkey is kind of advanced - better than many Balkan countries, Eastern Turkey drags them down.

Turkey is the most advanced MENA country. It is like the Germany of the Middle East (if the Middle East is Europe in this analogy). Also, more palatable to be colonized by Muslims than by gaals. Western Turkey is kind of advanced - better than many Balkan countries, Eastern Turkey drags them down.

Better the Brits or the Americans.

Trending

Latest posts