Somalia is not that bad. Positive thinking.

Som

VIP
Somalia is a total mess but not as bad as you would think for a failed state.
Some positive things:
Economy: the country is poor but there's business going on, the telecommunications business is pretty good. The zaad like services that allow you to pay for anything with your phone are innovative, in many European countries they won't let you pay with a card for less than 5 euros, only cash.

Low Hiv/Aids: according to unaids Somalia has a 0.1% hiv infection rate which is one of the lowest in Africa and subsaharan africa in particular. The rate for Somalia is very similar to many European countries. This is incredible if we consider that we are surrounded by countries like ethiopia and especially kenya who have respectively 1.4% and 4.9 % of their population living with HIV

Low Crime: read this carefully. If we exclude terrorism Somalia isn't that much dangerous. According to the UNDOC estimate Somalia's murder rate is 4.31 per 100 thousand people. This is low considering our political problems. I know its just an estimate but i believe it to be more or less accurate. If we compare with our neighbors Ethiopia has 7.5 murder rate, kenya has 4.9.
Compared to other war torn countries iraq has 9, Afghanistan 6.6.
Compare with western countries : the USA had 4.93.
Latin America is way worse, some countries are 40+. If we exclude terrorism how many murders does Somalia have? Not many, only some qabil infighting now and then. Somaliland , PL, free areas of Galgaduud (Dhusomareeb, south Gaalkacyo) and even Beledweyne are probably safer than many western cities. You are probably more likely to be robbed at gunpoint in London, Chicago, Indianapolis, New York than in any of these Somali cities. Even in Mogadishu the main problem is al shaydaan and not general crime

Low drug abuse and alcohol.: I know we have lots of kids using cheap solvents as drugs but we have low alcohol dependency rates and low drug use. Khat is technically a drug but nothing compared to alchol or even weed.

Immigration: this is a sign that Somalia isn't that bad compared to other countries. If somalia is the worst place in the world why would yemenis,syrians and oromos come to Somalia? Saw a reportage on yemeni migrants in Xamar,they complained about lack of resources but they said they felt safer in Xamar than in Yemen.
Even oromos are coming, somalis dont emigrate to ethiopia unless they are doing tahriib so they don't even wish to stay there. Ethiopians on the other hand come to somalia (especially PL) to have a better life. Sounds crazy i know but that's true.

Last thing.
Language: I'm proud to say somalia is the only country in subsaharan africa together with ethiopia and Eritrea that uses their local native language for all administrative things. This is great, the algerians now speak a mix of french and arabic, we somalis at least preserved our language
Feel free to add more stuff

Somalia is a total mess but not as bad as you would think for a failed state.
Some positive things:
Economy: the country is poor but there's business going on, the telecommunications business is pretty good. The zaad like services that allow you to pay for anything with your phone are innovative, in many European countries they won't let you pay with a card for less than 5 euros, only cash.

Low Hiv/Aids: according to unaids Somalia has a 0.1% hiv infection rate which is one of the lowest in Africa and subsaharan africa in particular. The rate for Somalia is very similar to many European countries. This is incredible if we consider that we are surrounded by countries like ethiopia and especially kenya who have respectively 1.4% and 4.9 % of their population living with HIV

Low Crime: read this carefully. If we exclude terrorism Somalia isn't that much dangerous. According to the UNDOC estimate Somalia's murder rate is 4.31 per 100 thousand people. This is low considering our political problems. I know its just an estimate but i believe it to be more or less accurate. If we compare with our neighbors Ethiopia has 7.5 murder rate, kenya has 4.9.
Compared to other war torn countries iraq has 9, Afghanistan 6.6.
Compare with western countries : the USA had 4.93.
Latin America is way worse, some countries are 40+. If we exclude terrorism how many murders does Somalia have? Not many, only some qabil infighting now and then. Somaliland , PL, free areas of Galgaduud (Dhusomareeb, south Gaalkacyo) and even Beledweyne are probably safer than many western cities. You are probably more likely to be robbed at gunpoint in London, Chicago, Indianapolis, New York than in any of these Somali cities. Even in Mogadishu the main problem is al shaydaan and not general crime

Low drug abuse and alcohol.: I know we have lots of kids using cheap solvents as drugs but we have low alcohol dependency rates and low drug use. Khat is technically a drug but nothing compared to alchol or even weed.

Immigration: this is a sign that Somalia isn't that bad compared to other countries. If somalia is the worst place in the world why would yemenis,syrians and oromos come to Somalia? Saw a reportage on yemeni migrants in Xamar,they complained about lack of resources but they said they felt safer in Xamar than in Yemen.
Even oromos are coming, somalis dont emigrate to ethiopia unless they are doing tahriib so they don't even wish to stay there. Ethiopians on the other hand come to somalia (especially PL) to have a better life. Sounds crazy i know but that's true.

Last thing.
Language: I'm proud to say somalia is the only country in subsaharan africa together with ethiopia and Eritrea that uses their local native language for all administrative things. This is great, the algerians now speak a mix of french and arabic, we somalis at least preserved our language
Feel free to add more stuff
We need to expand our language vocabulary, or else we going to have alot of loanwords to the point it will sound like english.
many countries have protection for their langauges.

you're not gonna get anything positive from the users but let just celebrate aspects of our culture instead of comparing Somalia to other countries

I had hoped what you say was true and even thought of going there,then they killed Hodan Naleeye. A Western girl that had a dream of living in her country. She gave us all hope, than they murdered her and her unborn child. That traumatized me. No one will ever tell me this place is safe and good, not after that.

Som

VIP
We need to expand our language vocabulary, or else we going to have alot of loanwords to the point it will sound like english.
many countries have protection for their langauges.
That's true. Somali is a very rich language though. We use less loan words than north African arabic

Som

VIP
I had hoped what you say was true and even thought of going there,then they killed Hodan Naleeye. A Western girl that had a dream of living in her country. She gave us all hope, than they murdered her and her unborn child. That traumatized me. No one will ever tell me this place is safe and good, not after that.
Kismaayo is still a rough city, but other parts of the country are way less dangerous.

I know you’re trying to be positive but let’s be real we are probably one of the worst country In the world. I go on twitter and see other Shitholes crying because someone compared them to Somalia. Anytime a country goes through something they say “ oh no we have become Somalia” we are what people are scared to become. Not to mention anytime someone tries to do good for Somalia they end up dead.

I know you’re trying to be positive but let’s be real we are probably one of the worst country In the world. I go on twitter and see other Shitholes crying because someone compared them to Somalia. Anytime a country goes through something they say “ oh no we have become Somalia” we are what people are scared to become. Not to mention anytime someone tries to do good for Somalia they end up dead.

We have a very bad image in the eyes of others. But like the author clearly stated. Somalia is bad but not as bad as you think it is.

besides bad politics and alshabaab we have practically no other Major problem that a lot of countries are suffering from..

Mega slums
Organised crime
Epidemic diseases
Inflation to the point one can no longer purchase basic necessities.

Somalia government is the worst in the world but the life standards of the citizens are in large parts better than many African Latin and Asian countries..

we don’t have fancy highways and skyscrapers but the people are generally doing ok with smiles on their faces.

tahriib, is a serious issue but that’s not because these people have it so bad it’s simply because of our huge diaspora people attracting young people with ambition and resources.

Low crime Kulaha :mjlol: all the al shabaab attacks, rapes, murders, , robberies and thefts are nothing.

low drug use:dead:. Have you seen what khat does to people? They’re actual zombies. Such a cheap high but the behaviour and productivity of a heroin addict. Might as well grab a spoon and some needles. Now add in the glue sniffing street dwellers. Whens The last time you’ve been to Somalia? There’s a current opioid crisis, people are abusing pills and cough syrup.

But hey I guess we don’t have AIDS. Small victories. :westbrookswag:Even though lately a lot of dirty dick husbands been passing it to their unsuspecting wives, we are low compared to other African countries.

Hue_Man

(Alkebulan mother of mankind)
Only in 20 years will Somalia be liveable lol. Give it time.
globalisation will ultimately be one of the most difficult periods of human history.

we are living in a Christian crusade dominant era. The crusaders under the guise of liberalism,democracy lol.

just be patient cus Satan is also patient.

Optimistic thinking is what will change the country. Keep going. I know we are not in a good shape but I will never lose hope that one day Somalia will prosper. I have plans to contribute back home and no, Im not building a hotel. Believe and push forward.

alien

📍outer space
VIP
being optomistic does nothing. we can't act like somalia is not a failed state. we the diaspora should return to Somalia and help the economy instead of living gaajo in the west :rejoice:

She went to the lawless south. The south always holds everyone back because its uncivilised inhabitants are holding the capital hostage

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
I have always said Somalia is not as bad as people make it out to be.

Yes, deplorable crimes happen such as rape, domestic violence and murder, but at much lower rates than our neighbours. Terrorism is a horror, but at the same time, it affects less half the landmass of Somalia.

In Somalia, most kids in cities and tuulos are able to go to school and get an education. Very rarely will one see beggars on the street compared to our neighbouring countries.

With Al-Shabaab gone and a competent government in power, Somalia would do very well.

Som

VIP
being optomistic does nothing. we can't act like somalia is not a failed state. we the diaspora should return to Somalia and help the economy instead of living gaajo in the west :rejoice:
Being optimistic is good if you want to do dome positive things.
You can't change anything with a pessimistic mentality

Let's not forget this is a country recovering from a long civil war . .many countries will never have recovered from such destruction and tarnish, just look at Libiya, Syria, Yemen...being pessimistic and cynical
Will hinder any development and progress..a little optimism is healthy.. ..I believe the next generation of Somalis will lead the way and hopefully bring back the Somalia that was once known as the "Pearl of the Indian Ocean".

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
I like the positive thinking. My Naasos are smaller than usual today

Trending