Somalia Begs UN to Keep AMISOM Troops

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://goobjoog.com/english/amisom-...a-recipe-for-disaster-somalia-tells-the-unsc/

Amisom withdrawal in 2018 is a recipe for disaster, Somalia tells the UNSC
September 16, 2017
Somalia-ambb-to-UN.jpg

UN ambassador to Somalia Abukar Osman addressing the UN Security Council Sept 15, 2017. Photo: UN
The planned withdrawal of Amisom forces from Somalia mid next year will spell doom to the country’s security and gains made thus far, Somalia has told the UN Security Council calling for sustained funding of the African Union force.

Somalia’s ambassador Abukar Dahir Osman told the Security Council Friday withdrawal of Amisom is premature adding Somali Security Forces do not have the sufficient capacity to take over from the foreign troops who have been in Somalia for the last ten years.

“The SNA/SNSF is not ready to take over security responsibilities of Somalia and the premature withdrawal of AMISOM in May 2018 is a recipe for disaster. It is crucial that AMISOM is provided with predictable and sustainable funding beyond 31st May 2018,” said Osman.

The Military Operations Coordination Committee (MOCC) for Amisom in its meeting in Addis Ababa early this month said Amisom will not be able to continue its operations beyond 31 May 2018 unless sustainable funding is assured. UN chief in Somalia Michael Keating addressing the Council also reiterated the need for predictable funding of Amisom.

Ambassador Osman also reinforced Somalia’s call for lifting of the arms embargo noting the continued arms import restrictions made it difficult for Somali security forces to take over the mantle from Amisom.

“The time has come for Somalia to be able to get access to qualitatively better weapons than terrorists. In this regard, we are asking this body (UNSC) to consider and develop a clearly defined roadmap to the full lifting of the arms embargo.”

Osman noted the roadmap will include improvements we must make to our weapons management, command, and control systems.

“Without AMISOM forces, who are supplied with heavy weaponry,” the ambassador said, ‘we would not have been able to defeat Al-Shabaab. The long-standing arms embargo on Somalia severely restricts our ability to procure heavy weapons, despite the partial lifting of the embargo in
2013.”

President Farmaajo added his voice for the arms embargo last week during a visit to a military camp in Mogadishu observing the restrictions were adversely inhibiting the performance of the military.

International partners are expected to meet next month following recommendations of the May London Conference to make commitments to finance the National Security Architecture.

MadNomad

As i live and breathe
It's true though, what are we supposed to fight Al kebab with? Ak 47's? We need heavy weaponry, which AMISOM has. Either lift the embargo or have them stay until SNA is strong enough to take over, it's the only two options.

Von

With blood and Iron will we reach the fatherland
It's true though, what are we suppose to fight Al kebab with? Ak 47's? We need heavy weaponry, which AMISOM has. Either lift the embargo or have them stay, it's the only two options.
A military can only do so much to beat terrorism, funding NISA would be invaluable in Somalia's current situation and would give the government eyes and ears on everything, I believe this something Farmajo can work on.

MadNomad

As i live and breathe
A military can only do so much to beat terrorism, funding NISA would be invaluable in Somalia's current situation and would give the government eyes and ears on everything, I believe this something Farmajo can work on.

A strong military can at least drive them out of our towns and cities. That's step 1, we can worry about step 2 afterwards. More funding for NISA sounds like a good idea.

It's true though, what are we supposed to fight Al kebab with? Ak 47's? We need heavy weaponry, which AMISOM has. Either lift the embargo or have them stay until SNA is strong enough to take over, it's the only two options.
AMISOM has been in Somalia for 10 years. The SNA should have been more than ready by now.

Merchant of Mogadishu

From Pella to Pattala, then back to Babylon

Not only that, the arms embargo needs to be immediately lifted. It is crippling NISA and SNA.

True, but undoing all the gains made by AMISOM with a hasty exit won't make us anymore ready, now will it?
How is it hasty when they have been there for 10 years? Do you expect them to stay forever?

This is a war that only Somalis can fight. Foreigners will not give you your country back.

10 years and they haven't took back the country. AMISOM is a money making system where fat jeraars sit and eat European money.
Exactly. Which is why they should leave as soon as possible.

That money could go to Somalia troops instead.

MadNomad

As i live and breathe
How is it hasty when they have been there for 10 years? Do you expect them to stay forever?

This is a war that only Somalis can fight. Foreigners will not give you your country back.

I agree, i'm just being realistic here. The SNA is useless atm on its own, the war would not be won.

Exactly. Which is why they should leave as soon as possible.

That money could go to Somalia troops instead.
We have an arms ban and thus the money will just buy more AKs which will be sold to the black market. It's a vicious cycle where your fucked everyday. When the Arms ban is lifted we could retake the country in a matter of months.

BANTU

+op MVLI
Beesha caalamka does not trust Somalia/Somalis/Somali-society and never will.

I recently gave up on Somalis myself :manny:

Saalax Bidaar

Truthfulness so often goes with ruthlessness
Terrible idea.

AS is fighting with AK 47 and winning. Why can't you?

Somalia has enough weapons to fight AS, what they do need is better training, discipline and most of all, pay on a consistent basis.

AS aren't some world beaters, they are ragtag militia. What they have though is discipline, structure and are highly motivated by promise of the after life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending