Somalia Before Islam (Ancient History of Eebe Waaq)

I see quite a few Somalis online trying to reconnect with our ancestors who worship waaq. Then again so little is known about the belief system of waaq making it difficult I guess.

Would be very hard as nothign hasn’t been preserved, at least with other horner groups they have some pagan remnants like oromos and majority pagans like rendille. Somali pagans converted to Islam long ago or where pushed away. Everything has been forgotten.

Hue_Man

(Alkebulan mother of mankind)
Would be very hard as nothign hasn’t been preserved, at least with other horner groups they have some pagan remnants like oromos and majority pagans like rendille. Somali pagans converted to Islam long ago or where pushed away. Everything has been forgotten.

forgotten and replaced with Arab souls.

People who think Waaq was Allah are delusional.

There was a form of Waaqism practiced, I don't believe in the romanticism that tries to exalt the religion into something it was not, like comparing it to the Abrahamic religion of one God when we know there were elements and features of the Somali Waaqism that clearly was not fully monotheistic and even evidence of transplanted deities from other polytheistic ancient belief systems that supposedly were under Waaq and somehow erased all their former original status when incorporated.

There was a form of Waaqism practiced, I don't believe in the romanticism that tries to exalt the religion into something it was not, like comparing it to the Abrahamic religion of one God when we know there were elements and features of the Somali Waaqism that clearly was not fully monotheistic and even evidence of transplanted deities from other polytheistic ancient belief systems that supposedly were under Waaq and somehow erased all their former original status when incorporated.
Waaqism was clearly a purely Cushitic belief.

What other gods?

Btw,I'm starting to think Waaq might be a Southern Somali thing. I've never heard of it before the internet. There's no mention of it in refer waqooyi culture.

What other gods?

Btw,I'm starting to think Waaq might be a Southern Somali thing. I've never heard of it before the internet. There's no mention of it in refer waqooyi culture.
Huur (Horus), ancient Egypt. Some elements of Hubal had some play in that religion. We know Hubal from Arabian polytheism.

Are you sure? That sounds like Somali hotep nonsense. I only ever see "we wuz kangz" Somalis make those claims.

@Apollo can you confirm?
Look here, I am not a proponent of those beliefs and do criticize how people are trying to synchronize our current beliefs with what they think our belief was before Islam -- I'm only making few statements on the said subject matter with the limited information out there.

Where I got the information is on Wikipedia, and you can check the references for more in-depth sources, usually taking it from a book. My initial awareness of this was through a book written by Somali authors, mentioned by online anthropology hobbyists.

I agree that this Waaqism, whatever its nature and practice, was more prominent in the South.

Huur (Horus), ancient Egypt. Some elements of Hubal had some play in that religion. We know Hubal from Arabian polytheism.
Are you sure? That sounds like Somali hotep nonsense. I only ever see "we wuz kangz" Somalis make those claims.

@Apollo can you confirm?
There’s even more to it I guess why ancient Egyptians called Somalia the land of gods
Ra the sun god = qor rah in Somali which means the neck of rah
The moon god iah = dayax in Somali and ayax in Af may
Geb for the earth god and plenty more