Somalia attends ITU conference with full voting rights for the first time in decades

Status
Not open for further replies.
(October 12, 2017) The Minister of Posts, Telecom and Technology has told that Somalia is no longer the only country in the world with no telecom regulation after the president signed the communications bill into law on October 2nd.

The Minister was speaking at ITU conference in Buenos Aires, Argentina, where Somalia is attending the conference – for the first in three decades – with full voting rights after the Ministry has recently managed to start the process of paying the dues, which have been outstanding since 1983.

H. E. Abdi Ashur Hassan told that this step would not only help the Ministry become a meaningful member of ITU but also pave the way for full partnership with ITU in the development of Somalia’s ICT sector.

“I would like to thank the prime minister and his deputy, telecom operators and ITU leadership for their commitment and understanding; we would not have done this without their efforts given the current financial constraints of the government,” added the minister.

“Somalia’s telecom industry is currently driven by the business sector with no tangible contribution by the government in terms of building infrastructure that would add value to their operations and increase government revenues. We want to fill that gap and help investors to move to the next level so that government can generate more taxes from the sector” concluded the minister.

http://sonna.so/en/somalia-attends-...-voting-rights-for-the-first-time-in-decades/

CAN-640x398.jpg

RasCanjero-

Self imposed exile
Somalia's telecom regulators should look into auctioning off the airwaves properly.

Currently it's all controlled by illegal monopolies who have as much stake in the chaos in our governments as other warlords.

Somalia's telecom regulators should look into auctioning off the airwaves properly.

Currently it's all controlled by illegal monopolies who have as much stake in the chaos in our governments as other warlords.

How are they illegal?

Every sector is in its infancy and telecom saved lives in Somalia. You can’t be upset at someone who help you get in contact with your family.

RasCanjero-

Self imposed exile
How are they illegal?

Every sector is in its infancy and telecom saved lives in Somalia. You can’t be upset at someone who help you get in contact with your family.

Granted they aren't as bad as they could be and have contributed a lot but this isn't a long term solution.

I'm sure that stronger regulatory institutions would not only provide telcos with more legitimacy but also alternative revenue streams like digital payments.

Currently everything is a free for all and tbh it's more about whose fist is bigger than the product offerings that decide market share and entry into the market.

Granted they aren't as bad as they could be and have contributed a lot but this isn't a long term solution.

I'm sure that stronger regulatory institutions would not only provide telcos with more legitimacy but also alternative revenue streams like digital payments.

Currently everything is a free for all and tbh it's more about whose fist is bigger than the product offerings that decide market share and entry into the market.

I think you’re falling victim to the displeasure of seeing other people succeed without being in government.

Just look at the MPs who get upset about telcos, the same MPs are upset because the telco company directors make more than government servants. These public officials weren’t around when telco entrepreneurs bet every dollar they had on doing the work neglected by incompetent officials.

These MPs who run around getting upset at the telcos aren’t realizing that in the end, it’s the customers who choose who they get service from. Somalia needs more competition. There are no monopolies and competition is limited because of access to capital.

If you walk into Somalia today with 20million, you can do a lot in any industry as you would be the first to improve it.

RasCanjero-

Self imposed exile
I think you’re falling victim to the displeasure of seeing other people succeed without being in government.

Just look at the MPs who get upset about telcos, the same MPs are upset because the telco company directors make more than government servants. These public officials weren’t around when telco entrepreneurs bet every dollar they had on doing the work neglected by incompetent officials.

These MPs who run around getting upset at the telcos aren’t realizing that in the end, it’s the customers who choose who they get service from. Somalia needs more competition. There are no monopolies and competition is limited because of access to capital.

If you walk into Somalia today with 20million, you can do a lot in any industry as you would be the first to improve it.

Tbh it's envy that prompted my post. In other countries you have to pay hundreds of millions if not billions for telco rights. Imagine getting the chance to invest in Somalia's telco industry a couple decades back.:ahh:

Tbh it's envy that prompted my post. In other countries you have to pay hundreds of millions if not billions for telco rights. Imagine getting the chance to invest in Somalia's telco industry a couple decades back.:ahh:

It’s still available. There’s gobols with no access to phones.

The same MPs who crusade for regulation have never held a fiber optic cable in thier hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending