Somalia: 116,000 displaced amid 'worsening' drought

BetterDaysAhead

#JusticeForShukriAbdi #FreeYSL
VIP
Most parts of country are facing critical water shortages amid severe drought in over 50 districts, says statement

Somalia: 116,000 displaced amid 'worsening' drought

MOGADISHU, Somalia—Over 116,000 Somalis have been displaced by extreme water shortages since October 2020, according to a joint statement issued on Sunday by the UN and horn of African country.

"Most parts of the country are facing critical water shortages, with more than 50 districts facing moderate to severe drought conditions," said the statement issued by Mogadishu and the UN Somalia office, expressing deep concern about the "worsening drought conditions."

In the statement, Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management Minister Khadija Mohamed Diriye appealed to donors to "give generously and to give now" to help respond rapidly to the drought which she said was "compounding the effects of the various crises in this country."

"We are facing widespread food insecurity, malnutrition, population displacement and disease. We need funding now to save lives, alleviate suffering and get assistance out before the situation becomes a complete catastrophe," she added.

Somalia has been facing especially concerning conditions as forecasts indicate a second consecutive season of below-average rainfall from April to June.

People in Bakol and the Gedo regions, among other parts of the country, have been struggling against water shortages, amid local media reports of several people, including children, dying from dehydration.

Last month, Somalia called on international donors to provide sufficient and early funding to scale up the country's emergency response capabilities.

Up to 2.7 million people across the country are in need of humanitarian assistance, according to the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs.

This is the by product of deforestation, overgrazing and a severe lack of soil management, water preservation and tree planting :snoop: if I was in charge I’d tackle these issues immediately, I pray for the people affected by this 🙏🏽

Most parts of country are facing critical water shortages amid severe drought in over 50 districts, says statement

Somalia: 116,000 displaced amid 'worsening' drought 'worsening' drought

MOGADISHU, Somalia—Over 116,000 Somalis have been displaced by extreme water shortages since October 2020, according to a joint statement issued on Sunday by the UN and horn of African country.

"Most parts of the country are facing critical water shortages, with more than 50 districts facing moderate to severe drought conditions," said the statement issued by Mogadishu and the UN Somalia office, expressing deep concern about the "worsening drought conditions."

In the statement, Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management Minister Khadija Mohamed Diriye appealed to donors to "give generously and to give now" to help respond rapidly to the drought which she said was "compounding the effects of the various crises in this country."

"We are facing widespread food insecurity, malnutrition, population displacement and disease. We need funding now to save lives, alleviate suffering and get assistance out before the situation becomes a complete catastrophe," she added.

Somalia has been facing especially concerning conditions as forecasts indicate a second consecutive season of below-average rainfall from April to June.

People in Bakol and the Gedo regions, among other parts of the country, have been struggling against water shortages, amid local media reports of several people, including children, dying from dehydration.

Last month, Somalia called on international donors to provide sufficient and early funding to scale up the country's emergency response capabilities.

Up to 2.7 million people across the country are in need of humanitarian assistance, according to the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I believe most of it boils down to corruption and terrible management, there are countries that have done way worse throughout history and are doing way better than us so idk if it’s karma, either way we should better ourselves and treat each other properly
I meant what I said not just because of our political situation but also for example our natural occurring challenges like the recurring droughts, the locusts last year etc. May Allah ease their suffering. They need one or few nice storms to fill up their wells iA.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Minnesota lets do what we do best. Food Donation GO FUND SOMALIA

Let's do it. Lets the show world what Minnesotans are made of!

Subhanallah Somalia is already facing the effects of climate change. Is there a donation center or site to help people? 2 million people without water and don’t know when their next meal will be, I don’t know what to say just sad

Trending

Latest posts