Somali words with double meaning!

Qaado - take it/accept what is being offered or said.
Qaado - Spoon

Daawo - Medicine.
Daawo - Watch.

Do ya'll know anymore? Dont be embarassed if your Somali isnt that good. Try! Or you wont learn.

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
Qaado - take it/accept what is being offered or said.
Qaado - Spoon

Daawo - Medicine.
Daawo - Watch.

Do ya'll know anymore? Dont be embarassed if your Somali isnt that good. Try! Or you wont learn.
Qaando* spoon
About the second example, the Somali alphabet is under developed, there are sounds where you pronounce it different but write it the same. The D in medicine and watch are pronounced differently, this started controversy from the beginning between those pro Latin alphabet and others, and because the regime was pro Latin alphabet, they argued that ppl can differentiate between the two Ds.
Other examples of the issue with Latin alphabet:
Daad = torrent/stream : the D is pronounced like ض
Daah = curtain : the D pronounced like D
Dad = people : the D pronounced like ض
Dibs = backward: the D pronounced D

Dab = fire : pronounced with ض

Last edited:

Villainess

smooth talk on a rainy summer evening
Ayaan- siida/like. Dulkaa ayaanku daacey
Ayaan- name

there are more homophones, I was just thinking about one yesterday laakin it slipped my mind

Qaando* spoon
About the second example, the Somali alphabet is under developed, there are sounds where you pronounce it different but write it the same. The D in medicine and watch are pronounced differently, this started controversy from the beginning between those pro Latin alphabet and others, and because the regime was pro Latin alphabet, they argued that ppl can differentiate between the two Ds.
Other examples of the issue with Latin alphabet:
Daad = torrent/stream : the D is pronounced like ض
Daah = curtain : the D pronounced like D
Dad = people : the D pronounced like ض
Dibs = backward: the D pronounced D

Dab = fire : pronounced with ض
Im pretty sure we say qaado in middle Somalia, or i have been saying wrong all my life without being corrected😅 i know we pronounce them different, but it as you say adopting the latin alphabet, instead of the Osmaniya script or the others that would accommodate our language better was a mistake.

Sol

?
Dambiil = Criminal (although there might an e at the end of dambiil still sounds the same)
Dambiil = Basket

Isnt it qof cas🤔 i've heard waan ku caseyna! Meaning i will best you until u turn red, but never qof cas.
Maybe the forefather of that clan had unique knees😐 since we are a descriptive people i mean.
This makes perfect sense
I think it’s the galbeed accent though

Trending