Somali words that start with "H", Add what you know. Test your knowhow.

Mckenzie

We star in movies NASA pay to watch
VIP
H is a standard letter in Somali, many words in our vocab start with this letter.

I think the letter(s) 'Kh' was imported from the Arab, we have much fewer original words starting with this letter than i can think of. All below are originally Arabic.

Kharash
Khabiir
Khidmad
Kheyre
Khaalid
Khaliif

Heegan
Hardid
Haraanti
Haraaga
Haan

Heegan = On-Call person. With All-time-ready status.
Hardid = Someone who refuses to relax and rest. The word comes from two words joined together. Har = Shade, Did = refuse. Together it implies someone who doesn't sit under the shade. It means the person doesn't take rest and likes to complete their mission without delay.
Haraanti = A kick
Haraaga = What is left behind
Haan = Somali made basin for capturing and storing milk.

Hardiid = Alternatively means "Hyperactive" LOL.

H is a standard letter in Somali, many words in our vocab start with this letter.

I think the letter(s) 'Kh' was imported from the Arab, we have much fewer original words starting with this letter than i can think of. All below are originally Arabic.

Kharash
Khabiir
Khidmad
Kheyre
Khaalid
Khaliif

Q is prevalent in somali vocabulary though and sometimes Kh and Q are interchangeable. Waqooyi somalis are heavy on the KH. Southerners often use the softer Q in place.

Mckenzie

VIP
Q is prevalent in somali vocabulary though and sometimes Kh and Q are interchangeable. Waqooyi somalis are heavy on the KH. Southerners often use the softer Q in place.

Doesn't matter of the Interchangeability, R and DH are swapped at times, 'kh' is still a foreign letter. Not a single original Somali word starts with Kh.

Doesn't matter of the Interchangeability, R and DH are swapped at times, 'kh' is still a foreign letter. Not a single original Somali word starts with Kh.

The words that start with "Kh" in somali whose origins are Arabic have their equivalent Somali words as well.

Khasnaji = Accountant, treasurer
Khasnaji = Lacag haye, xisaab xire, tiro xire in Somali

Somalis use both words.

Khasiyad = Gardarro and Faduulis. Is Khasiyad arabic btw? It sounds like it but in Somali that means Gardarro. People use both.

Erayga "Khas" in Somali means "To stirr aka Walaaq". I wonder if Khas word is Arabic though? Because the word "Khas" in Arabic relates to Story. Totally different meaning in each language although Khas would sound Arabic in Origin.

Kharash
Khabiir
Khidmad
Kheyre
Khaalid
Khaliif

Kheyre = Barqad, Barqadle in Somali.

Mckenzie

VIP
The words that start with "Kh" in somali whose origins are Arabic have their equivalent Somali words as well.

Khasnaji = Accountant, treasurer
Khasnaji = Lacag haye, xisaab xire, tiro xire in Somali

Somalis use both words.

Khasiyad = Gardarro and Faduulis. Is Khasiyad arabic btw? It sounds like it but in Somali that means Gardarro. People use both.

Erayga "Khas" in Somali means "To stirr aka Walaaq". I wonder if Khas word is Arabic though? Because the word "Khas" in Arabic relates to Story. Totally different meaning in each language although Khas would sound Arabic in Origin.

Khaas is Arabic. Comes from the word "takhasus" which means special, different etc like gaar. The word you're referring to is Qas, we sometimes call 'spoilers' qaswadayaasha. Debating this is futile, no language has a complete set of letter pronunciation, it's not that deep.

reer

VIP
Khaas is Arabic. Comes from the word "takhasus" which means special, different etc like gaar. The word you're referring to is Qas, we sometimes call 'spoilers' qaswadayaasha. Debating this is futile, no language has a complete set of letter pronunciation, it's not that deep.
some words become somalized and the kh is reolaced with q or switch between the two.
maqaasiin = arabic makhaazin
but usually they keep their kh. khiyaano khaa'in khilaaf etc.

Maybe heeraalo?? I think it’s a riddle or a fable it starts with H though

Halxiraale, That is the word you are looking for. You are not bad for a western born Xaliimo LOL.

Halxiraale = Puzzle

Hal = She Camel, Hal = One
Xiraale = comes from Xir = tie up or tie down.

Basically, whatever can beat the imagination of others was worth tying a she camel for the taking, and recall that a Somali to get married, he needed 100 camels to present as a dowry. Hence, Somalis giving the word to a puzzle or something an average person can not unpack. This is not an expert view but my thoughts on the origin of the word.

Last edited:
Halxiraale, That is the word you are looking for. You are not bad for a western born Xaliimo LOL.

Halxiraale = Puzzle

Hal = She Camel, Hal = One
Xiraale = comes from Xir = tie up or tie down.

Basically, whatever can beat the imagination of others was worth tying a she camel for the taking, and recall that a Somali to get married, he needed 100 camels to present as a dowry. Hence, Somalis giving the word to a puzzle or something an average person can not unpack. This is not an expert view but my thoughts on the origin of the word.
Close enough 🤷‍♀️
Isint hangaraarac millipede??

Last edited:
Close enough 🤷‍♀️
Isint hangaraarac millipede??

I am not sure. but

SCORPION = DIBQALLOOC.

Millipede = Farabadne?

Am not good with insects, arachnida, and birds LOL.

Tuke = Crow

Hawk = Daffe, this word literally means in English "Snatcher" LOL. The word "Daf" means to yank something from someone's hand and take it by force. Obviously, the bird was given that name because it swoops down from the sky and snatches prey or food. Dafle = nickname for a guy in Somali.

Eagle = Gorgor

Last edited:

Trending

Latest posts