Somali word of the day: How to say capitalism in Somali language?

How to say Capitalism in Somali language?

In Somali language, capitalism is called Hantiggoosad
D36C0E03-51E4-444F-A601-2AE21662FEB0.jpeg

There are many Somali words of Sanskrit or Hindi origin:
Haa, baraf, dilaal, deni, gaadhi, aboowe, baaldi, aree (waryaa), ooro, kuuli, fuundi, doobi, guri, daah, baaldi and many more.
Most of these words are not of Sanskrit origin.

Also, The Sanskrit language has been dead for centuries and its remains can be found in languages such as Hindi, Urdu, Nepali, and others.

Words like aboowe, haa, waryaa, and guri are Cushitic in origin therefore are Somali in origin.

In fact, aboowe is related to words like aabe, eebe, abbow, ab, abaay, abaayo, abti, and iyo aabeyeel.

(variations of the word waryaa: aree,ar, ardee, arhee, war, waree, wee, waraa, wadhaa, warhee, warde, aryaa, ra, rr!, )

the word nayaa has also same variations.
β€”-
Gaadhi is a South Asian pronunciation of the English word 'car.' Some South Asian languages have unique pronunciation rules, such as changing the 'r' to 'd,' the 'k' to 'g,' and the 't' to 'dh.' They also often add 'ii' at the end of words.

The English word 'car' becomes 'gaadhii' in some Indian dialects pronounce it as 'kaarii'."

Look at picture below.
ld means la mid ah.

Hantiggoosi and hantiggoosad both means capitalism.

View attachment 250845
Fair enough. Let me put that in a sentence to make my thinking clearer.
'Afraad hantigoosad ah, aaminsanna hantigoosi, tooda ma aha e dan guud laguma hallayn karo, walow hantiwadaaga naf ahaantiisu uu cillal bulsho yeelan karo'.

When read out aloud, and thought of it that way, it makes more sense to me. Bear in mind, I am not a linguist. Mind me not.

Letter 'g' is not one of the 'xarfaha labanllaama'.

Updated:
I stand corrected, letter 'g' is indeed one of them.

Last edited:
Fair enough. Let me put that in a sentence to make my thinking clearer.
'Afraad hantigoosad ah, aaminsanna hantigoosi, tooda ma aha e dan guud laguma hallayn karo, walow hantiwadaaga naf ahaantiisu uu cillal bulsho yeelan karo'.

When read out aloud, and thought of it that way, it makes more sense to me. Bear in mind, I am not a linguist. Mind me not.

Letter 'g' is not one of the 'xarfaha labanllaama'.

Updated:
I stand corrected, letter 'g' is indeed one of them.
After reading this sentence above, I think you are correct.
β€”-
Somali is a tonal language, meaning that the pitch of a word can change its meaning.

One example of this is the word "hantigoosad," which can mean either "capitalism" or "capitalist" depending on the tone used.

It is important to note that the tonal differences in Somali can only be clearly distinguished when spoken, as when written, it can be difficult to read and understand. Because of this, some speakers prefer to use suffixes, such as "e," "le," and "layaal," in writing, such as "hantigoosadle" or "hantigoosadlayaal," to indicate the intended meaning.

After reading this sentence above, I think you are correct.
β€”-
Somali is a tonal language, meaning that the pitch of a word can change its meaning.

One example of this is the word "hantigoosad," which can mean either "capitalism" or "capitalist" depending on the tone used.

It is important to note that the tonal differences in Somali can only be clearly distinguished when spoken, as when written, it can be difficult to read and understand. Because of this, some speakers prefer to use suffixes, such as "e," "le," and "layaal," in writing, such as "hantigoosadle" or "hantigoosadlayaal," to indicate the intended meaning.

Yes, you are right, at least to me, sounding tends to help with the form, more so when reciting poetry, or prose, even if my own creations.

Do bear in mind, regional dialects are a factor to consider, and the closer to the countryside, or more nomadic one is , the clearer the pitch & pattern. I would struggle with 'hantigoosadle', or 'hantigoosadlayaal', and instead think compound words do not change in their plural and/or command forms. Again, I am not a linguist.

Postscript:
Another way to think of it is to return the word 'goosad' back to its original 'isim' form, for example:

go'id - as in the act of detaching, or separating,
goosan - as in a flock of 'adhi' in the wild,
gooni - as in aloof, or standing distant,

goosad - as in out in the wild, and similar to 'goosan', but with its usage being slightly different,

goosasho, and go'itaan - as in an act, or desire to separate.

You get the gist of it.

Keep up the good work.

Sorry, I should have tried to write that in Somali, but realised it right at the tail end of it. Perhaps next round.

Mahadsanid,

Trending