Somali women have become Lioness Moms

Three Moons

Give Dhul-Suwayqatayn not an inch of the Sea!
The new generation of Somali women raised in the diaspora are becoming the African equivalent of Tiger moms, which are a major pillar in the success of Asian communities and countries.

Unlike the Gen X and predecessor generations of Somali mothers, this new group of Somali women, that are part of nuclear family units with like-minded millennial husbands, place as much emphasis on the education and success of their sons as previous generations more commonly would place on their daughters alone, which in the past allowed sons to fall through the cracks.

This manifests itself in stricter after school curfews, the hiring of tutors, and more direct involvement in their kids’ homework, as this new group of Somali mothers are capable of providing their children with the necessary extra boost in understanding at home because they themselves once went through the same education system.

These mothers also have strong relationships with the teachers of their children’s’ schools, don’t need their kids to mistranslate their performance, so nothing goes past them.

It’s going to be interesting to see the academic performance of Somali children in the next 5 to 10 years, now that their parents are beginning to level the playing field.

Kisame

Plotting world domination
My college educated uncles and aunts have some very smart kids. All of their children went to college.

Somalis that grew up with college educated parents have always seemed to be doing well in life.

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
My hoyo was a tiger mom.
I love her and appreciate her parenting style but it traumatized me. I wanna be the deadbeat err, I mean the cool mom! 😬

My hoyo was a tiger mom.
I love her and appreciate her parenting style but it traumatized me. I wanna be the deadbeat err, I mean the cool mom! 😬
Orod khad soo ruug inyar, iyo africa soo booqo, niman silcay o rafaadsan soo guurso oo soo umul o ciyaalka meeshaas u dhaaf, saas baad u qalinjabinaysa jaamacada reer deadbeat

Iistep istep walaalyaal, heerkas wu adagyahay laakin xooga saar

Celery

Vasodilator
VIP
The new generation of Somali women raised in the diaspora are becoming the African equivalent of Tiger moms, which are a major pillar in the success of Asian communities and countries.

Unlike the Gen X and predecessor generations of Somali mothers, this new group of Somali women, that are part of nuclear family units with like-minded millennial husbands, place as much emphasis on the education and success of their sons as previous generations more commonly would place on their daughters alone, which in the past allowed sons to fall through the cracks.

This manifests itself in stricter after school curfews, the hiring of tutors, and more direct involvement in their kids’ homework, as this new group of Somali mothers are capable of providing their children with the necessary extra boost in understanding at home because they themselves once went through the same education system.

These mothers also have strong relationships with the teachers of their children’s’ schools, don’t need their kids to mistranslate their performance, so nothing goes past them.

It’s going to be interesting to see the academic performance of Somali children in the next 5 to 10 years, now that their parents are beginning to level the playing field.
Source?

Jk

Tbf I don't think educated people have as many children that's the great inverse relationship between education and birthrate, time is not a replenishable resource and the aware acknowledge that

It's not just the new generation, it started well over a decade ago, when Somali parents realised that they couldn't rely only on teachers. They started taking their kids to after-school programs, tuition etc. They also sent many abroad to study medicine.
That's why you'll notice that Somalis in their early 20s, outperformed their siblings who are in their 30s.

Give credit and grace to post-civil war mothers, who had to survive grief, PTSD, and multiple stressors, racism and balaayo. Bear in mind that they are the ones who birthed these early 20s kids you see today, they are the 'lionesses'.

It's not just the new generation, it started well over a decade ago, when Somali parents realised that they couldn't rely only on teachers. They started taking their kids to after-school programs, tuition etc. They also sent many abroad to study medicine.
That's why you'll notice that Somalis in their early 20s, outperformed their siblings who are in their 30s.

Give credit and grace to post-civil war mothers, who had to survive grief, PTSD, and multiple stressors, racism and balaayo. Bear in mind that they are the ones who birthed these early 20s kids you see today, they are the 'lionesses'.

There is also much more community support then there was in the 90s and 2000s.

Mothers can only do so much on their own so we can't even blame them for the earlier trial and error.

We need more people educated islamically, that's what's important and it's lacking, it everyone was educated and acted upon their islamic knowledge, you wouldn't be seeing all this degeneracy, there's no use of someone having a degree and still being upon degeneracy

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
There are no 'new mothers', Somali hooyos had Gen Z kids when they were in their 40s on average.

These new improved statistics, are thanks to them.

So true. Esp this part.
My hoyo is lenient with my younger siblings (early and late teens ones). They are humans after all and are learning as they go..

I plan to take their good practices that worked and improve on the others inshaAllah.. 🙏

There are no 'new mothers', Somali hooyos had Gen Z kids when they were in their 40s on average.

These new improved statistics, are thanks to them.
She’s right thank good my mom had four boys after me and my sisters or I would have an older brother in prison, with these knife crimes Somali hoyoos don’t even let the boys out of the house just buy them PlayStation and they stay in the house all day plus all their extra curricular activities, mashallah my oldest younger brother is now in university doing engineering and my other younger in his posts level looking for degree apprenticeships. Somali parents are very vigilant nowadays all these horror stories got to them

Three Moons

Give Dhul-Suwayqatayn not an inch of the Sea!

Fair enough, though my theory was based on children from Somali mothers born in the 1980s, that were raised by post-civil war mothers/fathers and who had children of their own in the 2005 - 2015 period. Their kids would be between the ages of 5 - 18 today fuelling all of the tuitions and after school programs I see my nieces, nephews and cousins enrolled into left and right by my female relatives.

This American study from 2009 does support your argument though that Gen X mothers laid the foundation, since Somali kids born after 2005 were already deemed as ready as cadaan children because their mothers homeschooled them;

F015B457-E120-4E05-9B48-0D66501254D1.jpeg

Report shows Somali kids test kindergarten-ready: Why?

Trending