Somali who won green card lotto gets book deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
His story was first featured on 'This American Life' in July.

For July 4th, a story about someone who's desperately trying – against long odds – to make it to the United States and become an American. Abdi is a Somali refugee living in Kenya and gets the luckiest break of his life: he wins a lottery that puts him on a short list for a U.S. visa. This is his ticket out. But before he can cash in his golden ticket, the police start raiding his neighborhood, targeting refugees

He's only been in the U.S. for a year but he works as a translator (probably translating for Somalis who've been in the country for a decade lol) and is currently working on a book proposal with a literary agent. The book may also be turned into a movie.:whoo:

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
His story was first featured on 'This American Life' in July.

He's only been in the U.S. for a year but he works as a translator (probably translating for Somalis who've been in the country for a decade lol) and is currently working on a book proposal with a literary agent. The book may also be turned into a movie.:whoo:

If it becomes a movie I hope they get someone other than Mr. Barkhad Abdi to play him. And please no African Americans. I heard Will Smith butchered a role playing a Nigerian Medical Doctor for the NFL in the movie Concussion (Dec 2015). I'm in favour of authenticity without detracting from the looks department. :win:

Duchess

VIP
If it becomes a movie I hope they get someone other than Mr. Barkhad Abdi to play him. And please no African Americans. I heard Will Smith butchered a role playing a Nigerian Medical Doctor for the NFL in the movie Concussion (Dec 2015). I'm in favour of authenticity without detracting from the looks department. :win:

Same here but there aren't many Somali actors so Barkhad Abdi will probably get the role.

Speaking of Barkhad, he was at TIFF promoting his new movie (Eye in the Sky). It co-stars Helen Mirren and Aaron Paul and is supposed to be released this year, but I can't find the trailer.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Same here but there aren't many Somali actors so Barkhad Abdi will probably get the role.

Speaking of Barkhad, he was at TIFF promoting his new movie (Eye in the Sky). It co-stars Helen Mirren and Aaron Paul and is supposed to be released this year, but I can't find the trailer.

I wasn't aware of his recent project. Duchess, have you noticed that Barkhad gets the most shine/spotlight compared to his other Somali cast mates. And sadly, he's the least attractive of the bunch. When will Mahat Ali or Faysal Ahmed catch a break? Call me a weirdo, but I think Faysal ain't half bad. :win: I'm starting to think media has an agenda to present only the worst looking Somali dudes in lead roles, whilst showcasing model chicks.

14somalia-actors.jpg

menace

President - Sexaholics Anonymous, Ohio chapter
VIP
He was first featured on a bbc documentary but was outsourced to this "American ..." After it was featured on their program their fb page was inundated with offers to help him or meet him. Then the producer opened a gofundme account .He was on my fb friend member, just last month he was part of a UN youth organization and dude was staying at the "Astoria-wallof" is it called :browtf:

:it0tdo8:

Living my dream. :yloezpe:

I'm starting to think media has an agenda to present only the worst looking Somali dudes

This is exactly what my friends and I said when that stupid film was coming out. f*ck 'em.

At the same time, I don't appreciate Somalis calling him out for his looks.

Duchess

VIP
I wasn't aware of his recent project. Duchess, have you noticed that Barkhad gets the most shine/spotlight compared to his other Somali cast mates. And sadly, he's the least attractive of the bunch. When will Mahat Ali or Faysal Ahmed catch a break? Call me a weirdo, but I think Faysal ain't half bad. :win: I'm starting to think media has an agenda to present only the worst looking Somali dudes in lead roles, whilst showcasing model chicks.

14somalia-actors.jpg

I think most roles available/targeted towards Somali men require them to be as aesthetically unappealing as possible. They dont want a good looking terrorist/trafficker/pirate. It would confuse the audience. lol

I don't know if Mahad or Faisal are acting anymore. I remember reading that Barkhad moved to LA to break into the scene and it seems to have worked for him as he's found work after Captain Phillips. Faisal could go far if he put in the same work.

Duchess

VIP
He was first featured on a bbc documentary but was outsourced to this "American ..." After it was featured on their program their fb page was inundated with offers to help him or meet him. Then the producer opened a gofundme account .He was on my fb friend member, just last month he was part of a UN youth organization and dude was staying at the "Astoria-wallof" is it called :browtf:

You're right, but the episode on This American Life is what introduced his story to the American audience. He was working on a book before he won the green card lotto, but now he has a book deal and has been told that the book may be turned into a movie.

Btw, do you mean Waldorf Astoria?:drakelaugh:

How? You wanna be a writer?:diddyswag:

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member

This is exactly what my friends and I said when that stupid film was coming out. f*ck 'em.

At the same time, I don't appreciate Somalis calling him out for his looks.

I actually boycotted the movie. I refused to support the pirate stereotype and I still haven't watched it. I know what you mean. I actually want the brother to do well. However, I prefer he not be typecast as the (eternal) bad guy. It would be nice to see the others also catch a break I suppose.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I think most roles available/targeted towards Somali men require them to be as aesthetically unappealing as possible. They dont want a good looking terrorist/trafficker/pirate. It would confuse the audience. lol

I don't know if Mahad or Faisal are acting anymore. I remember reading that Barkhad moved to LA to break into the scene and it seems to have worked for him as he's found work after Captain Phillips. Faisal could go far if he put in the same work.

You know, facial prosthetics can make someone look worse. They can still be a looker underneath. And yes; I found Faisal more charming. I think he has what it takes also. :win:

Duchess

VIP
I actually boycotted the movie. I refused to support the pirate stereotype and I still haven't watched it. I know what you mean. I actually want the brother to do well. However, I prefer he not be typecast as the (eternal) bad guy. It would be nice to see the others also catch a break I suppose.

Unfortunately, he will always play the bad guy or the guy the audience should feel bad for. It's unrealistic to think Hollywood will ever cast him in anything that deviates from stereotypes. Imagine Barkhad as the lead in a romcom. :chrisfreshhah:

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Unfortunately, he will always play the bad guy or the guy the audience should feel bad for. It's unrealistic to think Hollywood will ever cast him in anything that deviates from stereotypes. Imagine Barkhad as the lead in a romcom. :chrisfreshhah:

:dead: That is straying far away from his genre. It would be more of a comedy than a chick flick. It could revolutionize the industry, though. And it would showcase his softer side. I'm trying to think of potential titles, but I've got nothing except for, "Met Him at a Bus Stop".
8e493fda51648ed4dee4b271eeca5bf422b88587.jpg

menace

President - Sexaholics Anonymous, Ohio chapter
VIP
If they are making us except a man as a woman ( Bruce) then they can even try to make a romantic movie with Barkhad with Scarlettson ( whatever the F her name is ..naclatullah ..she is a zionist)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending