Somali synonyms

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shamis

It sounds great though, it doesn't even need hyphenation. I've heard qasaalad its from the arabic ghasaalaat, I didn't know we used it. Qalajiso is going into my vocab, its sounds official. Can you just write random words into this topic please? I think you have the best grip on luuqadda here.

Sure abaayo. I can do that. I never knew qasaalad was arabic though thanks for that info. Somali is the only language I use at my house. I want my kids to learn somali before they start pre-school. I noticed most somali children don't know or speak somali because they spend most of their time at school.

S

Shamis

We're losing our language abaayo, its scary and I commend your efforts. More parents need to do the same. We only spoke af Somali at home and it helped my self esteem so much.

We're losing our language abaayo, its scary and I commend your efforts. More parents need to do the same. We only spoke af Somali at home and it helped my self esteem so much.
You are right we are losing our native language. I heard a story about a somali family where the mom and her kids don't understand each other. During school conferences teachers had to find interpreter because the mom speaks only Somali and the kids speak only English. That is so embarrassing! I would do everything and anything I can to teach my children their native language.

S

Shamis

That is so sad! Usually the kids understand but can't speak it well laakinse kani tiisu waa nag! I wish we had a totally peaceful country - this could be solved by frequent holidays. Keep at it abaayo and good on you - some people don't realise what a handicap it is to not speak your own language. So many of our people fought and died so that we could speak our language and have our own country.

Status
Not open for further replies.