Somali short Stories

Is there anywhere I can find a collection or catalog of Somali short stories. Some cultural short stories like Hansel & Gretel? .. but Somali.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
There are several here in the Somali section:

The folktales among other Horners and their similarities to ours at times are quite interesting. I'll have to dig them up but there are some Somali books on folk stories as well.

There are several here in the Somali section:

The folktales among other Horners and their similarities to ours at times are quite interesting. I'll have to dig them up but there are some Somali books on folk stories as well.
This is a great website. Thank you 🙏

killerxsmoke

2022 GRANDMASTER
THE PURGE KING
VIP
Is there anywhere I can find a collection or catalog of Somali short stories. Some cultural short stories like Hansel & Gretel? .. but Somali.
I remember I downloaded a pdf that had so many somali shot stories, I will check if I have them

induction

Nothing is true; everything is permitted
cigaal shidaal is super funny. also search up "qoryo ismaris" it's like the somali version of shapeshifters. scared be when i was little lol

Garaad diinle

 
Well rather than sharing a link i'll try to tell a story that i heard when i was young. It's not a story but some sort of warning. It's been said that men are not allowed into the kitchen, why? because if they see the froth of the milk at first then come back later when the froth is gone they will accuse you of gluttony out of ignorance. The same thing when you're boiling meat.

What is interesting is that when i was reading on sidama oral stories i found the exact same story. The sidama have a female ruler by the name of furra. She is their caraweelo and her final advice for the females was not to let men in the kitchen because of the same reason the men are not allowed to enter in the story i heard. Despite the distance between my family and the sidama we still share the same story which is odd. This story had nothing to do with caraweelo matter of fact i was never told about caraweelo ever by anyone when i was young which makes it more peculiar in my eyes.

killerxsmoke

2022 GRANDMASTER
THE PURGE KING
VIP
Do any of u know of junaley, it's some creature at night that knocks on ur door and pretends to be a lady asking you for the direction of the mosque and when you open the door she lumps at you. I think am the only one that my parents told me about this story never heard of any somalis talk about this story ever

Garaad diinle

 
Do any of u know of junaley, it's some creature at night that knocks on ur door and pretends to be a lady asking you for the direction of the mosque and when you open the door she lumps at you. I think am the only one that my parents told me about this story never heard of any somalis talk about this story ever
Wallahi now i'm convinced that much of the somali oral stories are yet to be recorded. What you just descried reminds me of old arab stories about ghouls. I think your story is about a jinn. My family don't like to share stories about them. I only know some stuff about them in somali culture but not a full story.

killerxsmoke

2022 GRANDMASTER
THE PURGE KING
VIP
Wallahi now i'm convinced that much of the somali oral stories are yet to be recorded. What you just descried reminds me of old arab stories about ghouls. I think your story is about a jinn. My family don't like to share stories about them. I only know some stuff about them in somali culture but not a full story.
I want to make a comic/webtoon and I want to make it base of a somali mythical creatures

Garaad diinle

 
I want to make a comic/webtoon and I want to make it base of a somali mythical creatures
I think there are plenty of material to choose from for such projects in somali oral stories. One interesting investigation i was doing was the flying snake. There are plenty of stories about snakes flying and guarding jewellers. One story said that when a snake lives for a thousand year they grow a jewel on their head meaning for every millennia they live a new jewel grows on their body. There are even stories where some somalis raid the caves of these snakes guarded by snake soldiers.

What is interesting is that these stories are similar to the tale of the shipwrecked sailor from ancient egypt. The story about the land of punt flying snake and a snake covered with jewels which could mean that the snake lived for many millennias, one jewel per millennia or it could also mean that the snake existed since creation to grow all these jewels. Masduulaagii or the flying snake.

killerxsmoke

2022 GRANDMASTER
THE PURGE KING
VIP
I think there are plenty of material to choose from for such projects in somali oral stories. One interesting investigation i was doing was the flying snake. There are plenty of stories about snakes flying and guarding jewellers. One story said that when a snake lives for a thousand year they grow a jewel on their head meaning for every millennia they live a new jewel grows on their body. There are even stories where some somalis raid the caves of these snakes guarded by snake soldiers.

What is interesting is that these stories are similar to the tale of the shipwrecked sailor from ancient egypt. The story about the land of punt flying snake and a snake covered with jewels which could mean that the snake lived for many millennias, one jewel per millennia or it could also mean that the snake existed since creation to grow all these jewels. Masduulaagii or the flying snake.
Damn i have never heard of this one. Am planning to make humans with hyena ears as slaves or people that are despised

Garaad diinle

 

killerxsmoke

2022 GRANDMASTER
THE PURGE KING
VIP

Masduulaagii basically translates to dragon in english, do u know where I can find story that involves the flying snake

Trending

Latest posts