Somali refugees

Hey guys,

Please excuse my ignorance I’m not really educated on the topic, but I’d like to learn more. @Abdisamad posted a video about Somali refugees in Yemen and that really peaked my interest on the topic.

I read a UN report that there are so many migrants from countries like Somalia, Djibouti and most other East African countries. Somalis specially make up a large percentage of refugees in the worst, war ridden countries like Yemen and Libya. I genuinely don’t mean to sound ignorant, but why do they still migrate despite the risks? Somalia is doing a lot better than those countries. When my cousins went to Somalia, they said all over no matter if it was in the South or the North people shared with one another and the vibes were chill. Let’s say a bedouin came to town, people would give them food and other supplies without hesitation. There’s a strong sense of community across Somalia, so despite everything going on people can still get by. As long as people are well fed, housed and safe, according to UN standards, they are in a good position compared to a lot of other people. Say what you want, but Somalia now is significantly better than it was 30 years ago. I think we can take that as an opportunity to help our people build the economy and educate them instead of contributing to the immigration crisis. It’s our responsibility to hold leaders like IOG, Farmaajo etc. accountable for the development Somalia and the standards of living for the Somali people.

So I’m just wondering why some Somalis still risk their lives to migrate to racist countries? What opportunities do they have in war trodden Yemen that they don’t have in Somalia? I know that some migrants spend thousands to migrate, can’t they use that money to start businesses, go into farming to sustain themselves etc.? Is there anything we can do to help them?

I'm no expert in the area, but Somali migrants in Yemen could be those who went there some years ago like more than 10 years ago.. As for Libya Somali refugees didn't choose to go there but they were brought there by human smugglers who promised to take then to Europe and that's how most Somali refugees end up in Libya.

I'm no expert in the area, but Somali migrants in Yemen could be those who went there some years ago like more than 10 years ago.. As for Libya Somali refugees didn't choose to go there but they were brought there by human smugglers who promised to take then to Europe and that's how most Somali refugees end up in Libya.
Okay but are things that bad in Somalia that everyone wants to run away? A UN report said there’s thousands upon thousands of migrants. I might be misinformed but my family living there said that even though there is still corruption the government still tries to help people with food programs. And now the diaspora are investing in it all over so why take the risk when you can live with your own people? Europe has rising alt right nationalism too so it’s not even worth it anymore.

Okay but are things that bad in Somalia that everyone wants to run away? A UN report said there’s thousands upon thousands of migrants. I might be misinformed but my family living there said that even though there is still corruption the government still tries to help people with food programs. And now the diaspora are investing in it all over so why take the risk when you can live with your own people? Europe has rising alt right nationalism too so it’s not even worth it anymore.
Somalia has high unemployment and more employment oppurtunities are self-employed livestock sellers. Most Somalis survive on remittances from abroad and that effectively exposes the oppurtunities in the west.

People emigrate to escape poverty , life isn't all about eating /shitting/fucking it's about following your dreams. They are all headed to europe through different countries though not ME countries.

They are probably immigrating to seek better opportunities, like career/jobs and education some think they can get rich if they come to Europe.. So basically they are escaping the poverty I guess.

Trending

Latest posts