Somali Origin: North or South?

reer

VIP
where do somalis originate from? north or south? i think the recent migrations to the juba valley nfd and south ethiopia within the last 150 years has affected theories.
@SOMALI GENERAL @Apollo @Som

i think somalis come from koonfuria. if we had northern origins we would be speaking a south semitic language not a cushitic language.

Last edited:

Som

VIP
According to some recent theories Somalis come from southern ethiopia just like Oromos. The main difference is that oromos left southern ethiopia recently (16th venty) while somalis left southern ethiopia thousands of years ago, probably around 1st century AD and we settled in modern day nothern somalia/Ogadenia. From there in the early middle ages we slowly migrated to southern somalia. Written evidence from arab writers shows that somalis of the hawiye clan were present as far as Merca in the 12th century so hawiye and probably Raxanweyn were the First to reach the south. After some centuries other somalis followed them. Marehan used to live in modern day Ogadenia , SL and even Puntland. The 16th century futuh al habasha document lists marehan and hawiye as one of the clans fighting for the Adal Sultanate army even though today marehans and hawiyes (except fiqishini) don't live in the north anymore.
By the 18-19th century marehans from modern day ethiopia/Galgaduud migrated to Gedo, other Somalis (Degodia) and some others went to modern day Kenya. That's pretty much my idea of how somalis occupied their present day territory

reer

VIP
According to some recent theories Somalis come from southern ethiopia just like Oromos. We left southern ethiopia thousands of years ago, probably around 1st century AD and we settled in modern day nother somalia/Ogadenia. From there in the early middle ages we slowly migrated to southern somalia. Written evidence from arab writers shows that somalis of the hawiye clan were present as far as Merca in the 12th century so hawiye and probably Raxanweyn were the First to reach the south. After some centuries other somalis followed them. Marehan used to live in modern day Ogadenia , SL and even Puntland. The 16th century futuh al habasha document lists marehan and hawiye as one of the clans fighting for the Adal Sultanate army even though today marehans and hawiyes (except fiqishini) don't live in the north anymore.
By the 18-19th century marehans from modern day ethiopia/Galgaduud migrated to Gedo, other Somalis (Degodia) and some others went to modern day Kenya. That's pretty much my idea of how somalis occupied their present day territory
oromos afars are related to us and they speak cushitic languages. if we originated from the north we might have bordered xabashis our language and maybe writing might have been influenced by south arabian languages like xabashis and other semitic speakers. south arabian languages and xabashi languages have a similar "sound". but what made somalis move north to more arid/semi arid territories and take up geel?

According to some recent theories Somalis come from southern ethiopia just like Oromos. The main difference is that oromos left southern ethiopia recently (16th venty) while somalis left southern ethiopia thousands of years ago, probably around 1st century AD and we settled in modern day nothern somalia/Ogadenia. From there in the early middle ages we slowly migrated to southern somalia. Written evidence from arab writers shows that somalis of the hawiye clan were present as far as Merca in the 12th century so hawiye and probably Raxanweyn were the First to reach the south. After some centuries other somalis followed them. Marehan used to live in modern day Ogadenia , SL and even Puntland. The 16th century futuh al habasha document lists marehan and hawiye as one of the clans fighting for the Adal Sultanate army even though today marehans and hawiyes (except fiqishini) don't live in the north anymore.
Sxb the theory Somalis came from southern Ethiopia is debunked as Somalis homeland is in SL for the last 7 thousands years ago

my suugo iyo suqaar science

20210607_122125.png

Apollo

VIP
Depends on timeframe. The further back you go, the North will win out (Northeast Sudan being the ultimate origin of Cushites).

However, between 2,000 BCE to 500 CE? Nobody knows for sure.

Apollo

VIP
According to some recent theories Somalis come from southern ethiopia just like Oromos. The main difference is that oromos left southern ethiopia recently (16th venty) while somalis left southern ethiopia thousands of years ago, probably around 1st century AD and we settled in modern day nothern somalia/Ogadenia.

The Southern Ethiopia theory is pure trash, wholly debunked by genetics. Somalis are the least similar to Southern Ethiopians of all populations inside of Ethiopia (see this study that tested practically every Ethiopian group out there). Even Tigrays have more of an affinity with Southern Ethiopians if you discount for their Semitic admixture.

The only reasonable picks for the Somali ethnogenesis are Southern Somalia or Far Eastern Somali province of Ethiopia/Mudug/Central Somalia.. One of these two.

Apollo

VIP
i think somalis come from koonfuria. if we had northern origins we would be speaking a south semitic language not a cushitic language.

That makes no sense. Modern-day Cushites live as far North as Southern Egypt. There are Cushitic speaking ethnicities living in between the Habesha and Arabia like the Bilen, Xamtanga, Saho, and Afar. The South Semites who moved to Africa were farmers looking for fertile land to cultivate. Hence, why they went to the Ethiopian highlands and avoided the more arid parts of the Horn.

reer

VIP
That makes no sense. Modern-day Cushites live as far North as Southern Egypt. There are Cushitic speaking ethnicities living in between the Habesha and Arabia like the Bilen, Xamtanga, Saho, and Afar. The South Semites who moved to Africa were farmers looking for fertile land to cultivate. Hence, why they went to the Ethiopian highlands and avoided the more arid parts of the Horn.
oh ok. if somalis originate from the south why did we move north to arid areas?

sheegato boy stop spamming my thread go somewhere else.

Som

VIP
The Southern Ethiopia theory is pure trash, wholly debunked by genetics. Somalis are the least similar to Southern Ethiopians of all populations inside of Ethiopia (see this study that tested practically every Ethiopian group out there). Even Tigrays have more of an affinity with Southern Ethiopians if you discount for their Semitic admixture.

The only reasonable picks for the Somali ethnogenesis are Southern Somalia or Far Eastern Somali province of Ethiopia/Mudug/Central Somalia.. One of these two.
I think genetics and history don't always overlap.
Southern ethiopia is huge and we are mainly talking about south-central/ south east ethiopia on this case. Historian Herbert Lewis made a good case for a possibile southern ethiopian origin of somalis based on linguistics and history.
We know almost certainly that the major clan families came from the north, before that they probably developed in southern ethiopia. I think your southern somalia hypothesis may be more accurate for smaller clans like Garre, Tunni etc who then assimilated with the ancestors of modern day major somali clans.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/179457?seq=1#metadata_info_tab_contents

Som

VIP
my suugo iyo suqaar science

View attachment 188117
This is almost the same as my hypothesis.
It makes sense.
We all came from somewhere in Southern ethiopia . Maay speakers straight went to the south and stayed isolated which explains their language, northern clans went up north and became muslim then the Hawiye went south and reached the mogadishu-Merca area at least by between the 10th and 12th century maybe even earlier. Darood stayed north untill marehans migrated to Galgaduud and then to Gedo.

Apollo

VIP
I think genetics and history don't always overlap.
Southern ethiopia is huge and we are mainly talking about south-central/ south east ethiopia on this case.

Genetics is population history. It is the past recorded in alleles.

Somalis who live near the Oromo-Somali border in Southwest K5 are genetically unlike Somalis living in Somalia. They resemble those Garissa Kenyan Somalis sampled previously by George Ayodo and Lazaridis. Southwest K5 Somalis have significantly more Omotic affinity and can be modelled as Somali from Somalia + Borana Oromo. They cannot be ancestral to Somalis from Somalia. It is the other way around.

Som

VIP
oromos afars are related to us and they speak cushitic languages. if we originated from the north we might have bordered xabashis our language and maybe writing might have been influenced by south arabian languages like xabashis and other semitic speakers. south arabian languages and xabashi languages have a similar "sound". but what made somalis move north to more arid/semi arid territories and take up geel?
Keep in mind that there's quite some distance between northern somalia and the habashi homeland in tigray/amhara region. It looks close but it's Like 1000 km from somaliland to northern ethiopia. I think the northern origin os partially true. Proto somalis came from southern ethiopia probably and for some reason they went up north and domesticated camels. Then proto somalis developed as modern day Somalis while they lived in the north and later occupied the whole horn of Africa by moving to southern somalia. We don't really know why proto somalis went north but southern ethiopia isn't that fertile anyway.

2) Xabashi languages differ between each other. Amhara doesn't have the C(ayn), KH and X (ح خ ع) sounds that are found in arabic and tigrigna. Somali and afar also have those sounds.
Amhara has a strong cushitic oromo substratum so that's why the dropped those letters. The fact somali and afars have those sounds may indicate an ancient arabic influence on major somali clans, this influence didn't affect af maay speakers who were already living in the south.

Som

VIP
Your evidence being ?? What a load of crap..
Most historians say that. They dropped the arabian myth that eas widely believed in the early 20th century and came up with this idea.
I don't know if it's true but it makes sense.
I've honestly never heard of any scholar talking about central somalia or mudug as the origin of our people.

Trending

Latest posts