Somali or Somalian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do Somalians get so pressed about this issue? In my knowledge Somalis are an ethnic group. Somalians are Somalis that reside or are from Somalia. In English this is how you correctly say it.

Jeesto

VIP
Somali = ethnic Somalis
Somalian = denonym in English for those from the country SOMALIA including non ethnic Somalis such as Somali Bantus and other minority groups. Not hard to undderstand imo

Somali = ethnic Somalis
Somalian = denonym in English for those from the country SOMALIA including non ethnic Somalis such as Somali Bantus and other minority groups. Not hard to undderstand imo
That's what I am trying to say. If you are from Somalia then you are Somalian, whether you're Somali or anyone else.

A Somalian is a national citizen of Somalia.
A Somali is a member of the Somali ethnic group.
These two groups often overlap, but not always. A person from Mandera (Kenya) is Somali but not Somalian, while a person from Balcad is Somalian but not necessarily Somali.

Reign

Pro Women's Rights|Centrist
VIP
A Somalian is a national citizen of Somalia.
A Somali is a member of the Somali ethnic group.
These two groups often overlap, but not always. A person from Mandera (Kenya) is Somali but not Somalian, while a person from Balcad is Somalian but not necessarily Somali.
I see the shade you are trying to throw, it's funny since you're technically not Somali.

VixR

Veritas
Why do Somalians get so pressed about this issue? In my knowledge Somalis are an ethnic group. Somalians are Somalis that reside or are from Somalia. In English this is how you correctly say it.
This is a troll post, clearly. Or is it possible you're this dumb?
Someone from Slovakia is a Slovak, not a Slovakian.

Simple English rules.
I was thinking about it and I guess for minorities in Somalia they will always be hyphenated minorities "Somali Bantu" the way it is in America "African-American" and "Native-American". I guess that's the case with minorities.
In any case, I agree with these two posters.

It's singular, Somali. Plural, Somalis. Some others have no preference, but I wouldn't refer to myself as a Somalian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts