Somali mom making big moves in the condiment industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadia found her calling as a businesswoman at age eight in Somalia when she began selling homemade foods at a local market to help her mother support her family. After Sadia came to the US in 1999 and settled in Minneapolis with her husband and five children, she worked for several years as a housekeeper in a nursing home until late one night in 2007 inspiration struck to cook up a hot sauce from an old family recipe.
s1
During the time she was in the process of getting nutritional labels for her sauce, she began sharing it with friends and co-workers. She brought her product to work at the nursing home where she shared it with co-workers on a potluck day. They couldn’t believe she made the sauce herself. “Why are you working here?” they asked. “If we had this recipe we would be out selling it. It is so delicious and such good quality. Sell it Sadia!” they said.

Sadia applied for and received a small business loan from the City of Minneapolis and the African Development Center of Minnesota to help realize her dream and began selling at local farmer’s markets and co-ops. Customers have responded with delight and loyalty to this all-natural, locally made artisan delicacy. Sadia’s Sauce comes in hot, mild, and sweet, is free of preservatives, and sweetened with a unique combination of dates and tamarind.

Today Sadia is a mother of nine and continues to work hard to reach new customers with her sauce and her story. Her products are currently available at three local farmer’s markets and several Twin Cities co-ops and at our online store. Sadia is now also honored to partner with Neighbors for Nations donating 10% of all her proceeds from the sale of her sauce to support famine relief in Somalia. As her business continues to grow, Sadia’s vision will expand to create her own charity organization, to offer food, shelter, education, and compassion to women and children in need in Somalia, in America, and the world over.

Sadia’s own empathy grows from her struggle to become an American citizen and to protect and nurture her children: “As I help myself and my family, I want to share my success with women and their children all over the world. I’m a mother and I know what that love feels like,” Sadia says. In her fierce desire to help others through the fulfillment of her own delicious dream, Sadia embodies her company’s mission: Taste and be inspired.

Last edited:

Saalax Bidaar

Truthfulness so often goes with ruthlessness
I like her sauce. Masha Allah. Good for her. I like Somali who go for honest business much more than those who rip off the government with their homecare /daycare businesses.

Amazing! She should definitely market it countrywide and go international. I'm drooling just looking at the sauces and reading the ingredients.

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
I was excited when she first launched her sauce in our local grocery store. I bought 5 bottles. But sadly it tastes bland, no salt, no kick. Nothing. That's why cadaan people love it. I've given the remaining bottles to my coworker and they loved it.

Saalax Bidaar

Truthfulness so often goes with ruthlessness
Wow, which flavour did you get?
I don’t remember. I saw Sadia sauce on the bottle and people saying it was made by Somali lady, so I just thought i should try it. The one I had wasn’t super spicy. It was just enough spicy and sweet and salty at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending