Somali men; bring back traditional Somali clothing

Nin-culus

Laandheer
Our physique is adopted to the environment we inhabit brother.. If being muscular would help anything our Madow naighbours wouldn't have ended as slaves in the millions. The old Somalis like the one pictured was no one to joke around with sxb.
Skinny lions optimal strength trust me

I think Somalis place too much emphasis on traditionally clothes that the ancestors who wore them didn’t. To them they just threw on sheets to not be naked, didn’t put any special significance to them. Clothes food etc are the superficial elements of a culture that tend to morph over time.what makes a culture stand out are it’s morals, values and so on

I understand your point.

However, every ethnic group has their own clothing and we need our own.

We are not a hybrid nation, we are Somalis and we need to distinguish ourselves.

All I am saying is that it's embarrassing to wear a LUNGI (working class skirt) to your wedding or as formal wear for our esteemed elders.

Wearing another ethnic groups' pajamas/working clothes to your wedding.

Maʿawaz (مَعَوَز) = an Arabic word.

Don't talk about pan-somalism/bringing back Somali culture and pride whilst disregarding our clothing (however diverse it was, nomads, fishermen, merchants and so on).

Timo Jareer and proud

2nd Emir of the Akh Right Movement
Macawiis is Somali culture. The modern day Macawiis is just the colored version of the white shit Somalis used to wear, chill out with the Macawiis hatred.

The kufi is also very traditional to Somalis. We are very proud Sunni Muslims and wear it with dignity in both culture and religion. It's not just a "Omani hat" it's a hat worn across the Islamic world.

Even this is tolerable and a modern adjustment;

C240-2.jpg

@Finesse

Aren’t those clothes similar to what Orthodox Christian Ethiopians wear? We stole their injira and should be very careful not to steal their traditional religious clothing.

Not all Somalis are or have always been nomads, try again.

I think the womens dresses are nice but they look nothing like ours.

@embarassing

The majority of Somalis are still nomads or live off from the pastoral economy and live in small shanty villages and towns. More importantly, when I discuss the nomad culture, I do interchange with Somali culture because it is the source of our culture.

Well those dresses aren’t exactly the Ethiopian ones and neither are they Somali traditional dresses, but the patterns could be connected as copied from them. @Emily what do you think?

@embarassing

The majority of Somalis are still nomads or live off from the pastoral economy and live in small shanty villages and towns. More importantly, when I discuss the nomad culture, I do interchange with Somali culture because it is the source of our culture.

Well those dresses aren’t exactly the Ethiopian ones and neither are they Somali traditional dresses, but the patterns could be connected as copied from them. @Emily what do you think?
What does Alindi fabric have to do with habeshis?? Youre a smart guy but when it comes to Somalis you say nonsensical BS, simmer down Tesfay.

What does Alindi fabric have to do with habeshis?? Youre a smart guy but when it comes to Somalis you say nonsensical BS, simmer down Tesfay.

@embarassing

Allindi, Allied whatever the fabric is called, my question is, do Somalis wear clothes designed that way? I didn’t ask you the fabric but that design.

@Tukraq

The traditional Somali culinary was cad and caano (meat and milk) as was the custom of the nomadic life of Somalis. The rest were influences from other parts of the world and anjeero is no exception unless we also like to claim sambuusa and that our ancestors (prior to colonialism) grew bananas and that’s why we are the only people who eat their meals with bananas. Just like eating bananas with meals is a modern Somali tradition, we renamed the injero to anjeero and adopted to our taste. We also did that to Italian pasta because no Italian pasta dish is similar to the pasta dish we eat.

Unfortunately Somalis have become a self hating culture. I once wore the traditional Somali male (also grew my hair out long) clothing to an event, and the amount of stares I got was phenomenal. Half of the people looked shocked and the other half fell in love with me. It was such a strange contrast and overblown response to clothing that it was obvious to me how self hating and unaware of it we had become.

I got some strange looks from non Somalis on my way to the event. Most people looked impressed, apart from madows who either laughed at me or looked shocked like the Somalis did. Not much difference between our perception of the world and other black people it seems.

Tukraq

VIP
@embarassing

Allindi, Allied whatever the fabric is called, my question is, do Somalis wear clothes designed that way? I didn’t ask you the fabric but that design.

@Tukraq

The traditional Somali culinary was cad and caano (meat and milk) as was the custom of the nomadic life of Somalis. The rest were influences from other parts of the world and anjeero is no exception unless we also like to claim sambuusa and that our ancestors (prior to colonialism) grew bananas and that’s why we are the only people who eat their meals with bananas. Just like eating bananas with meals is a modern Somali tradition, we renamed the injero to anjeero and adopted to our taste. We also did that to Italian pasta because no Italian pasta dish is similar to the pasta dish we eat.
What the hell is anjeero do u mean canjelo? It has nothing to do with injera and is a totally different type of food, no influence there(yes we created sambuusa), first the languages/schooling now the cad and caano sxb were your parents reer badiyo or something? In Mogadishu and kismaayo they defiantly weren’t eating cad and drinking caano only even thousands of years back and were the spice and food capital of the world, doing the influencing and not the other way around, I can understand Italian influence(which is even questionable since we had pasta like noodles way before them in xamar) but the rest wasn’t

What the hell is anjeero do u mean canjelo? It has nothing to do with injera and is a totally different type of food, no influence there(yes we created sambuusa), first the languages/schooling now the cad and caano sxb were your parents reer badiyo or something? In Mogadishu and kismaayo they defiantly weren’t eating cad and drinking caano only even thousands of years back and were the spice and food capital of the world, doing the influencing and not the other way around, I can understand Italian influence(which is even questionable since we had pasta like noodles way before them in xamar) but the rest wasn’t

@Tukraq

What did Somalis call these "pasta like noodles'? What is their Somali name?

J-Rasta

Inactivated
VIP
Guys we tried to reform for the thousandths time we attempted to revive our dead culture .
We were met with fierce resistance we were demonised labelled as gaalo raac if we wore our traditional tire
Sometimes when I wear the macawis I wonder if my grandparents ancestors wore this attire since we look symbolically similar to the Bangladeshis
When I wear the Omani koofiyad sometimes I have this intrusive thoughts and say "tolow ma garacyo baanu wada nahay maxaa na daba dhigay maryo carbeed baalaayo "

When I see fellow friends wearing the khamiis likes it casual Friday I asked them why do you wear it everyday and they responded" because it's in our culture what do you mean why ?gaalyahow" .

Markaas ayaan soomaalinimo ka samray whenever I saw eedos wearing that triangular jawaan
Whenever I hear my fellow odayaal mentioning "carab baan ahay yaa faarax ".
They would chant and boast like mad men " Waxaanu nahay dad qureysh ah barakaysan carab carab iyo nasabnimo".
Always copying cultures it's like we were never authentic but I recently found out that we were our own people before colonial times but this is one of reasons we are called mutt race since we have idiots convincing that we are rape babies when the fact is not even close to that

Let's just say we've been severely mindfucked
Culture cleansed
Arabised
Even our language is deteriorating if not preserved well we are somalis we never consider archiving anything value.