Somali Linguistics Thread

Implicit Bias means in Somali?

Hal Sooc Maldahan.

Notice the word Hal here which means She-Camel. Sooc means separate, Maldahan means Implicit. All said in Somali implies that someone walks up to a herd of camels grazing somewhere and tries to separate one she-camel out of the herd pretending he isn't doing so when challenged or asked why he is separating the she-camel from the herd.

Somali language is impressive. They have almost all vocabulary you find in other languages even if the vocabularies describe modern social phenomenon or issue.

Add your two cents and the words you are impressed with that you found. May be I am strange finding my own language too impressive.

:rejoice:

Challenge yourself and find these words in English:

Hordhac
Tusmo
maqane Jooge
Warmoog
Sandulle
Xin, Ximmin
Qaab, Qaabka
Halhays
Hadal Badne,
Masuuge(I need to know this word in english myself though I know what it means in Somali), qof wax masuugaya. Masuugid is the noun.

Add your list and let us learn something in both languages.

Hordhac = Preface
Tusmo = Table(of contents) when used in books. The word Tusmo means to show, but it is used in text books and books written in somali to show the table of contents of the book.
Maqane Jooge = absent minded
Warmoog = Clueless. The somali word contains war = information and moog = unknowing, ignorant. They even give somali boys as a name and call them Mooge.
Sandulle = Forced Labor, Give no alternative but compliance through threats
Xin, Ximmin = Envy, Jealous
Halhays = Motto
Qaab, Qaabka = Form, Shape
Hadal Badne = Loquacious

This masuuge/masuugid word escapes me in English. In Somali, I think it means when someone is reacting negatively to something given to them and they express dissatisfaction with what is given to them. I am from the south and the word may be part of the northern vocabs. If someone knows, that would be great.

It is close to another somali word which is Massuge = Impatient, someone who can not wait for things.

Last edited:
Jaah
Jamasho
Jirjirood
Jiriirico
Jahwareer
Jacayl ama Jeceel - this one is so easy every xalimo knows the meaning.

Tribute to the J letters in Somali which I found in a cool somali song. Qaldaamiinta meesha away iyagaa luuqadda ku fiicane. Hey cuzins, iskeena meesha aan luqaddeena hooyo ku kala baddalanee. Anigoo reer koofur ah yaan idinka badin af soomaaligee kaalaya.

:russ:

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ
This masuuge/masuugid word escapes me in English. In Somali, I think it means when someone is reacting negatively to something given to them and they express dissatisfaction with what is given to them. I am from the south and the word may be part of the northern vocabs. If someone knows, that would be great.
Another word for masuugid is "ka quusasho", I think.

Tribute to the J letters in Somali which I found in a cool somali song.
Is that song Jaawo geel lool?

Maya, Waa Hees La yiraah "Jamiilaay" oo aan maalin dhawayd Youtubeka ka dhagaystay. Waan la dhacay heesta because the lyrics used in there had exclusively J letters in Somali. I was really impressed by the person who composed the song.

Here

Erayada heesta waxaa ka mid ah:

Jalaqasanida Socodkana Jidbodoo
Joogistaada hanaanka lahaa i jiitay

Amazing words. Very seductive and I bet the somali woman who understands somali would melt in no time markuu nin sidaa ugu sheekeeyo. I was impressed.

The song reminded me how rich our language is. America waa go'doon Soomaliyana ka fog. You don't get to enjoy the company of somalis all the time like you would if you were back in the country. That is why I want to spend my old days back home inshallah.

Jalaqsani = Elegant, Tall and Slim
Jidbo = Hallucination
Joogista = How someone stands still. Joog = Height. In the song he uses it to point how she stands tall.
Hanaan = Beautiful, good shape or form, something is called hanaan in somali when they are in good quality.

Jiitay = Attracted

Last edited:
Jamasho - Something to do with love.
Jiriirico - Shivering.
Jahwareer - Qof aan fikiri karin wax dartii. You can guess what it is in Somali music.

Thanks Saxib. Inta kalena kusoo dar when you can. You can also list words that interest you.

Look up the word "Goosebumps" , It also means Jiririco in Somali. But you wrote the correct meaning also.

Fiidmeer

Jamasho = Fond of , to be fond of someone or something. So you are also right, you love something when you are fond of them. In anotehr somali word = Ka helid, Markaad ka hesho qof ama wax/shay.

Not to forget:

Fiid = Soon after Sunset, Evening
Meer, Meerid = Wander, To continously circle around

Cool Nick man. This word refers in Somali to the mammal Bat. Gabbalka markku dhaco ayay soo baxdaa oo duushaa. Xamar iyo Kismayo waxa looga yaqaanaa Kibilli.

Try to get these @Schematics.

Tixraac
Hiigsi
Hakad
Joogsi

i can quickly guess:

Hakad = In Grammar it means Comma, In linguistics it means To stop moving, Delay, also in Somali like when a trip, train, bus get delayed. Safarkii wuu hakaday.
Joogsi = In grammar it means Period/Stop. In Somali Grammar Dhibic :) In linguistics To Stop.

Hiigsi waan fahamsanahay laakiin ma fasiri karo. If I make a guess, It means To call for help? To rely on? I am not clear on this.

Tixraac = Reference?

Last edited:
i can quickly guess:

Hakad = In Grammar it means Comma, In langauge means To stop moving, Delay also in Somali like when a trip, train, bus get delayed. Safarkii wuu hakaday.
Joogsi = In grammar it means Period/Stop. In Somali Grammar Dhibic :) In linguistics To Stop.

Hiigsi waan fahamsanahay laakiin ma fasiri karo. If I make a guess, It means To call for help? To rely on? I am not clear on this.

Tixraac = Reference?
Yes sxb, hiigsi = vision.

An ancient Somali word our forefathers conveniently deemphasized and replaced is:

Waaq = Allah in Somali. Equivalent to the English word God.

As you would expect, ancient SoMalis combined God's name with words to name places and good events that touched their life positively:

Jidwaaq =. Jid means path/road and Waaq means God/Allah. Literally then the word means The path of Allah, or the road of God.

CaabudWaaq = Worshipper of God, literally an Arabic and Somali combination to make a word.

Barwaaqo = godly location or godly season = prosperous and prosperity season. Somalis in Baadiye wish each other Barwaaqo iyo Caano.

Words like these show how ancient our people are.

Will bring some more later.

It is close to another somali word which is Massuge = Impatient, someone who can not wait for things.

Masuugid is to be stingy. Nin masuug ah waa nin bakhayl ah.

Not to be conflated with "nin wax masuugsan" that translates into "a man unsaitisfied with something / critisisng something".

Trending

Latest posts