Somali Kenyans possibly South Cushites?

Apollo

VIP
I spotted another Somali Kenyan/South K5'er with E-M293.

E-M293 is a South Cushitic paternal lineage.

He listed Dolo, Afder, Somali, Ethiopia as his paternal grandfather's birthplace.

fO3dri5.png

Apollo

VIP
He might be a Somalized oromo:manny:. The Garre who live there speak a language that's pretty close to Oromo.

Unlikely, he scored 98% Somali autosomally. Looks like an ethnic Somali. Oromos score high Ethiopian on 23andMe.

The Garre do not carry E-M293, but other Somali populations in this region do. Especially the Degoodi/Degodia and perhaps more groups of whom we are not aware.

Bohol

VIP
The Degodia, Garre and such groups lived in deep southern Somalia and NFD for centuries before the arrival of other Somalis so it makes sense. Were's the Darood are recent arrivals to southern Somalia & NFD.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
I highly doubt that. Garre and Ogaden migrated from Somali Galbeed while Ajuran and Degoodi migrated from southern Somalia.

However, there are smaller groups in middle areas of Kenya getting absorbed by Somalis so that must expalin these rare haplogroups.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
@Apollo These Oromo groups who live in central Kenya could've possibly assimilated a small portion of southern Cushites. They are Gabra and Orma people. Apparently, larger Somali clans are moving into their lands and absorbing their population so that must explain these rare haplogroups.

Apollo

VIP
@Apollo These Oromo groups who live in central Kenya could've possibly assimilated a small portion of southern Cushites. They are Gabra and Orma people. Apparently, larger Somali clans are moving into their lands and absorbing their population so that must explain these rare haplogroups.

I think almost all groups in Kenya have to some degree South Cushitic ancestry. It probably only varies in intensity by group. They used to live all over Kenya and got absorbed by outsiders (Samburus, Turkanas, Kalenjins, Maasais, Luos, Bantus, Boranas, Ormas, Somalis etc.).

Until recently I thought Somali Kenyans didn't have South Cushitic admixture, but all these E-M293 cases got me rethinking.

Unlikely, he scored 98% Somali autosomally. Looks like an ethnic Somali. Oromos score high Ethiopian on 23andMe.

The Garre do not carry E-M293, but other Somali populations in this region do. Especially the Degoodi/Degodia and perhaps more groups of whom we are not aware.
Has this been established though? How many have you come across so far?

After yours, this is my first. He also comes from close to NFD.
The guy I was basing it on claims Gardheere Samaale so I'm not sure if he's necessarily degoodi. I made some assumptions and confused everyone lol. I'll update yall at some point.

I think almost all groups in Kenya have to some degree South Cushitic ancestry. It probably only varies in intensity by group. They used to live all over Kenya and got absorbed by outsiders (Samburus, Turkanas, Kalenjins, Maasais, Luos, Bantus, Boranas, Ormas, Somalis etc.).

Until recently I thought Somali Kenyans didn't have South Cushitic admixture, but all these E-M293 cases got me rethinking.

I doubt it. Somalis in Kenya don't intermarry with any of these groups you've listed. Forget the list, even intermarriage with very close Cushitic groups like Borana is very rare. So I think the genetic material probably comes from a proto-Somali ancestor.

Meaning these groups are more landheers than assumed.

Apollo

VIP
I doubt it. Somalis in Kenya don't intermarry with any of these groups you've listed. Forget the list, even intermarriage with very close Cushitic groups like Borana is very rare. So I think the genetic material probably comes from a proto-Somali ancestor.

Meaning these groups are more landheers than assumed.

That's not what I said.

South Cushites lived in Kenya before all of those groups, including Somalis.

E-M293 is not proto-Somali and will never be, it is a South Cushitic lineage.

land owner

Welcome to the yaab zone
VIP

Is it true that the ormas are the latest cushitics to migrate down south from the cushitic homeland region of the Nile?

Trending